PDA

View Full Version : Can't Play DvDs on XP-Pro comp.

Billy T
11-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Hi Team

I'm back attacking one of my old problems; I can't play DvDs on this computer.

I have tried various codecs in the past but none would work, and this evening I tried again, downloading and installing 'XP-CodecPack 2.5.1.exe'.

The end result is always the same - DvDs don't play and various reasons are given, the latest bunch of outs seem to be focussed on copy protection. I've even tried locally produced videos that play on any DvD player, but no luck on my comp.

I'm quite prepared to purchase a program and have found Roxio CinePlayer DVD Decoder for XP on line at a cost of about NZ$20 or so, but I fear I will end up $20 down the drain and still no video!

Any ideas or recommendations?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

fred_fish
11-01-2012, 10:30 PM
VLC

gary67
12-01-2012, 07:47 AM
HI Billy have you tried VLC (video lan client) or media player classic which is nothing to do with windows media player. IS the drive definitely a DVD drive in the computer?

feersumendjinn
12-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Region-locked on the wrong region (any other than region 4)?
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/4274927
Try this
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=unlocking+regions+on+dvd+players&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#pq=unlocking+regions+on+dvd+players&hl=en&cp=23&gs_id=k&xhr=t&q=unlocking+regions+on+pc+dvd+players&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=unlocking+regions+on+pc+dvd+players&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=fa8db36bf2cf358e&biw=1493&bih=880

As gary67 said, are you sure it is a dvd player?

Defective optical drive? Have had this exact problem myself, would read cds no prob, but not dvds.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306318

Trev
12-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Yes faulty player get a new one.
:)

Billy T
12-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Hi Billy have you tried VLC (video lan client) or media player classic which is nothing to do with windows media player. IS the drive definitely a DVD drive in the computer?

This problem has persisted through two DVD writer/players; LG on W2k comp and now ASUS on XP. The drive reads and writes CDs and DVDs no problem at all, it just won't play a video DVD.

'XP-CodecPack 2.5.1.exe' installed '321 Media Player Classic', which did not get uninstalled and still opens.

I tried again with some NZ-sourced DVDs and a couple of overseas, results as follows: World's Fastest Indian didn't play "because there is a problem with digital copy protection between the DVD drive, decoder and video card" and recommended updating the video driver. 'She's the Man' (received by mistake from Amazon along with Clerks II, not our taste) said "Your system is set to Region 1. To play this DVD, set your system to Region 4"; and the Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour" plays just fine.

I will try VLC. but how do I get around the region issue? We made our main DVD player region free via a remote control code-entry, and the rest of our players don't seem to care what region the disk is from. We have a collection of cheapies from the Warehouse (Mrs T's tear jerkers) and they all play on anything, except perhaps my computer, and they are not getting into that!!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2012, 05:38 PM
How many times have you changed the Zone, if more than 4, it'll be locked after the 4th. Only way you'll get around the regions is to use somethig like VLC player (i think this plays any zone). I dont use it myself

Billy T
12-01-2012, 06:28 PM
How many times have you changed the Zone, if more than 4, it'll be locked after the 4th. Only way you'll get around the regions is to use somethig like VLC player (i think this plays any zone). I dont use it myself

The Zone has never been changed on this or any other computer, but my main DVD player has been made multizone. Is it possible to do that to computer DVD burners? I never had time to even think about playing DVDs in my office until the demands from the kids died down. We now have our daughter in Australia and our son about to go over to gig.

I won't be doing it much, but I have a few historical disks now about aircraft and other technology that wouldn't interest Mrs T.

Before anybody asks the obvious, all participants are fully clothed and no animals were harmed! :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Some sites have "hacked" firmware updates for DVD's / DVD burners. And may or may not kill it. If it doesn't work. So, update at your own risk

wainuitech
12-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Yeah its possible to make a Computers DVD drive region free.

One way I have seen it done is you get the correct firmware and flash the drive.

It has to be the exact right firmware for the make and model, other wise it can stuff the drive completely, and its got no more use apart from a door stop.

Edited: snap - speedy beat me to it -- shouldn't start posting then go off looking for sites :)

Billy T
12-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Well, a new drive is not expensive, so if it came to that I'd wear the cost of a new drive with a smile.

It seems strange that you can easily make a stand-alone DVD player region free, and a Panasonic I bought on special from DSE was region free straight out of the box, yet they make all this fuss about DVD players. I have a couple of DVD player/recorders, so if push came to shove I could try making an AV copy. It would be slow, but who cares, and it might possibly bypass the region restriction.

I'll try VLC first though, but that road-cone icon looks awfully familiar so it may be indicating a road previously travelled. :(

Ever the optimist....

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
12-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Well, a new drive is not expensive, so if it came to that I'd wear the cost of a new drive with a smile.

It seems strange that you can easily make a stand-alone DVD player region free, and a Panasonic I bought on special from DSE was region free straight out of the box, yet they make all this fuss about DVD players. I have a couple of DVD player/recorders, so if push came to shove I could try making an AV copy. It would be slow, but who cares, and it might possibly bypass the region restriction. Where actually do you go to change the Region? I looked in CP but nothing leapt out at me.

I'll try VLC first though, but that road-cone icon looks awfully familiar so it may be indicating a road previously travelled. :(

Ever the optimist....

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

bevy121
12-01-2012, 11:32 PM
if it is region problems, you could try this
http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

dugimodo
13-01-2012, 12:00 AM
There are few DVD software tools that can get around region problems, AnyDVD and DVD genie are two that I've tried and both work ok.
They aren't free though. NZ is region 4 so most of us are best with it set to that and only overseas disks have any problems.
Their are two region settings on a PC, one in whatever software you use and one in the firmware. The drives firmware normally can be changed 4 times then will lock.

Now that you mention it, the fact that PC DVD drives are the only ones rigidly locked to regions does seem a bit inconsistent.
Likely it's some misguided attempt to help reduce piracy as much as anything, not that region protection does that in any way.

17-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Now that you mention it, the fact that PC DVD drives are the only ones rigidly locked to regions does seem a bit inconsistent.

Are not quite true. Some brand name DVD players(boxes) were really well locked into single regions, & could not be hacked into multizone without an expensive hardware 'fix'
Looks like Blu-ray may be pretty much the same with some brands.

But anyway, welcome to codec hell.
Those codec packs, can often make things worse, and can be very hard to undo :badpc: Some even have bundled malware.
if its really old, there are 2 types of DVD, DVD- & DVD+ . Really old drives may only recognise one type
That DVD's Region locking can be both in Win (yes ) & on the drive itself .
Win XP originally had no Native DVD(movie) playing software. You would have needed a program to actually play the DVD's, perhaps a later version of Win Media Player (garrh, its aweful)

VLC will play almost anything. Always try it 1st.

Billy T
17-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Well, I'm making slow but steady progress. :)

I downloaded VLC (again as it turns out, so I'd been there before) and the Magical Mystery Tour DVD would auto-start and go to the disk menu without any problem. After an extended period with no results I then managed to get the first disk of the Beatles Anthology to play as well, so I moved on to a Billy T James disk. That also booted straight to the start menu so I was getting confident.

Next I tried a MASH disk and it started up in its own start menu as well, so I tried another BTJ disk (dual layer) and it won't work at all, so am I right to assume that computer DVD players are not necessarily compatible with dual layer disks?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
17-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Dont think its the actual dual layers.

Now that you mention it, there are several times when playing rental DVD's from the video shop, they wont actually play past the main menu.

For some reason the mouse clicks, or tab keys to select options, even though they get highlighted, simply wont work on the Computer. (something to do with the way the menus are created or their contents on some DVD's)

Put the exact same DVD into a DVD player (stand alone) and they work perfectly. If thats the case then you have to, errrrrrrrrrrrrrr - lets say play them a different way on the PC. Several ways to do it, Ones just a little painful - one "easy" ;) way.

Agent_24
18-01-2012, 11:29 AM
MPEG-2 Codec: http://www.free-codecs.com/Stinky_MPEG_2_Codec_download.htm

If you want region-free either patch your drive firmware or use DVD43

Billy T
18-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Well, I have a region-free DVD player so that is one problem solved. :D

Edit: I have just checked some Warehouse Region 4 and "All regions' disks and while I expected the latter to work OK, and they did, the Region 4 disks (USA/Canada etc) played as well. I have some US films here sent by mistake from Amazon so I'll se it they work too!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
18-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Oops, got that wrong way around, Region 1 is the US, and they are coded for NTSC, not PAL but they all play just fine.

Seems that VLC went through some self-adjustments of some sort, because disks that initially failed consistently to run are now playing OK and the only problem left is the dual layer disk, which doesn't really matter anyway.

I'm not surprised that disks labelled "All Regions" play ok, but I don't understand why Regions 1 and 4 both run on a standard ASUS DVD player, however I'm not going to look a gift player in the mouth!

Thanks to all for the advice and support.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs: