PDA

View Full Version : ssd install problem

jareemon
10-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Just installing my new ssd, got win 7 installed and haven't started installing my drivers or programs yet, because the original 1TB hdd isn't plugged in. I unplugged it when I installed the ssd, then installed win7 on the ssd then when it was done I plugged the hdd back in and the computer wont boot.
The hdd still has the original win7 os on it. should I have reformatted it first?
I have 600GB of data on the 1tb drive that I need to keep, and I don't have a backup drive that big.
AHCI is enabled.

jareemon
10-01-2012, 12:53 PM
just to be clear, the computer boots fine when the hdd is not plugged in.

jareemon
10-01-2012, 01:01 PM
also, when i installed windows on the 1tb hdd a few months ago, it was in ide mode and remained that way because from memory i was having trouble installing windows to the hdd with ahci enabled

Alex B
10-01-2012, 01:33 PM
define wont boot

Snorkbox
10-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Grab easy bcd and tell it to boot off the SSD.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

HTH.

Alex B
10-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Well that's assuming he can get that far. It's possible the HDD boot order is set wrong in the BIOS also.

CYaBro
10-01-2012, 01:46 PM
define wont boot

Yea we need to know more.
Are you getting anything at all on the screen with the 1TB connected?

Lawrence
10-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Have you copied over the System Reserved Partition (100Mb) as well?

dugimodo
10-01-2012, 06:07 PM
My guess is it reverted to the old hdd as first boot and because you're in AHCI mode it can't start.

Go into the BIOS and set the SSD as the first boot device. You shouldn't need to use easy BCD as it sounds like both drives are set to boot just fine. You may want to go into the disk manager and make sure the old hdd is not set to active once you get it booting, but not a major.

Another possible trick but a little dodgy if you're not careful... AHCI = hot swappable SATA, you could boot off the SSD before conecting the old drive then remove all the boot and widows files from it (maybe not right away until you are happy everything is working.

mikebartnz
10-01-2012, 06:19 PM
My guess is it reverted to the old hdd as first boot and because you're in AHCI mode it can't start.
My guess too. The bios settings need changing.

jareemon
10-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Update:

I unplugged the hdd, booted win from ssd, installed mobo drivers, reset the bios and then set the bios settings for ahci etc, plugged hdd back in and now it's booting as it should.
I still have the remaining reserved partition from the old hdd win install, and the problem of not being able to delete the windows files from the hdd (Windows folder, program files etc)
So, using a partition manager, I deleted the old system reserved hdd partition, and reduced the main partition to just over it's used size, and created a new partition with as much space as I could. This took hours.
Now I have moved most of my files from the original main partition to the new partition. This frees up 300GB of space on the primary partition, allowing me to reduce it's size again, and give that free space to the partition I created.
Then when that's done, I can move the rest of my files from the old partition to the new partition, then erase the old partition which contains the impossible-to-delete windows folders.

Side note, my 3.6GHz Quad core CPU is now the main bottleneck in terms of the WEI :D

The Error Guy
10-01-2012, 07:24 PM
By any chance is the HDD USB 3.0 or plugged into a USB 3 port? My machine sticks at BIOS logo when my HDD is plugged in to USB 3 but not when using USB 2. Just updated BIOS s might be fixed now but before there was no way to boot on USB 3.

jxer4567
10-01-2012, 09:09 PM
u have to enable achi in windows 7 first just to not b4 u do so in bios

Alex B
10-01-2012, 09:14 PM
If it was an ACHI issue it wouldn't boot with just the SSD attached either, it would BSOD. OP has said nothing of a BSOD.

jareemon
10-01-2012, 10:18 PM
By any chance is the HDD USB 3.0 or plugged into a USB 3 port? My machine sticks at BIOS logo when my HDD is plugged in to USB 3 but not when using USB 2. Just updated BIOS s might be fixed now but before there was no way to boot on USB 3.

No, mobo supports max sata2.
HDD is sata2, 1tb spinpoint f3; ssd is sata2 ocz agility2

jareemon
10-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Just to be clear, the post before my last post will result in me solving the overall problem, it's just a time consuming task which I will commence tonight.

jareemon
10-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Also, it must be said, because I'm drunk, that SSDs are awesome, and everyone should have one. That is all.

gcarmich
11-01-2012, 06:09 AM
So lets be clear here, you are going to move, resize and delete partitions on a drive containing 600GB of data that you don't want to lose and is not backed up. You really are drunk.