PDA

View Full Version : My computer randomly overheats and crashes while in standby mode.

Jakob
09-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Hello

Lately I have experienced random computer crashes and overheatings while my computer is in standby mode. The computer will suddenly start to overheat, and if it is not attached to power, exhaust the batteries and turn off after a short period of time. When I turn on my computer after this, I get the message that the computer had to turn off due to an unknown issue. When I have logged back in, I get a message with some information about the problem which does not enlight me any further on the problem.

The detail given are: (The first part might be inaccutate, as I had to translate it from another language, but it should be somewhat clear what I am referring to)
Name of error: BlueScreen
OS-version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
ID for national configuration:1044

Files describing the broblem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\010912-31184-01.dmp
C:\Users\Jakob\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-89404-0.sysdata.xml

I have searched around for similar problems but I have been unable to find a solution.
In advance, thank you for the help.

Jakob

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Get bluiescreenview, the download is at the bottom. Then run it. What file/s does it show as the cause? (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html)

Jakob
09-01-2012, 10:30 PM
In the "caused by driver" tab, it says ntoskrnl.exe, and this name is repeated in the bottom part marked in red. This is the case for all the error reports, and it is the only one highlighted.

Edit:
After some searching, it is a file placed in the "System32" folder

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2012, 10:39 PM
How big is the hdd?? And whats the stop error??? This sound like your prob?? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178)

Jakob
09-01-2012, 11:09 PM
hdd is 500 gigabytes, i cannot find the stop error, but the bug check code looks like it is in a similar format, and it says "0x1000009f". The problem showed looks somewhat similar, except my randomly computer crashes and starts overheating while it is not opened, nor touched. This usually leads to the batteries getting empty, and the computer then turns off. If I open it while it is hot, the screen is just black, and the computer does not respond to anything exept for the power-button turning it off, leaving me with the same error message as if it ran out of power.

pctek
10-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Lately I have experienced random computer crashes and overheatings while my computer is in standby mode.
What makes you think it's an overheating problem?
More likely to do that when in use, not idle.

Get the STOP error, disable restart so that when it does BSOD it stops on the BSOD screen.

Paul.Cov
10-01-2012, 07:26 AM
I do wonder if when you say it's "off" if in fact it is simply in sleep mode or hibernation - leaving it able to be awakened.

Also, since you report a battery we can assume it's a laptop.

Are you leaving it on a clear, flat surface where the vents can circulate air freely, or is it nestled down in your bedding or carpet where it struggles for air?

Jakob
10-01-2012, 12:35 PM
The thing is, I put my computer (a laptop) in hibernation, then close it. It will stay in this mode for a while, but at times, it will suddenly "wake to life". The fans will start, making a loud noise, and very hot air will come out. If I open it at this stage, I am unable to get any "contact", and it will react to no other buttons than the power button, and the power button only if it is being held down for a few seconds. I have never had this problem while returning the computer from sleep mode or hibernation, or when it has been on, it randomly starts while I am away eating or between classes while it is in a bag.

I can therefor not see the Stop error, as the screen is completely black, I can just see the crash report when I turn the computer back on.

The computer is on a flat surface when it is not in by bag, and it is only in the bag in short periods between classes.

Paul.Cov
10-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Is it responding to Wake events? Check the BIOS for Wake On: settings.

There can also be timer wake settings in some cases.

Try doing a proper shutdown as well, instead of Hibernating.

If all else fails, pop the battery out when it's off, and stash it in a bag all of its own (being very careful that nothing can short out the contacts or get spilt on it! A lack of battery will not upset Hibernation. It will however disrupt a Sleep mode (and your issues sound more typical of Sleep mode).

Paul.Cov
10-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Try manually turning off any wireless networking before turning off as well. Dunno if it's possible to monitor for a wake event from wireless, but it's easy enough to experiment with.