PDA

View Full Version : Dell VOSTRO Troubles

SurferJoe46
09-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Model 1500 Dell Lappy, XP-Home/SP3 - Up To Date security.

Intel Duo-Core / 1.4 GHz

The problem:::

Optical drive quite writing, so it was replaced with another and immediately the read-write speed slowed down to only 4X.

Ran HJT and 'killed' a few bogus BHOs and ran SpyBot S&D and found a threes-me of malware and cleaned them. One malware shut off the firewall, one was called opencandy.exe and another was called freeze.exe.

Re-ran all them again and MSE which gave three reports of nothing left, bad that is.

Cannot get DVD Shrink times back to normal - which used to be just a few minutes, and now runs a good hour and a half to write.

Any thoughts?

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2012, 02:57 PM
If XP is on it, run this. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060). Or do it manually on that site. Opencandy can be installed with free software. You should do a custom install (so you wont install it / untick the program that gets installed). I would also check and see if the hdd / or cd is running in PIO mode

SurferJoe46
09-01-2012, 03:19 PM
This dumbfounds me::"I would also check and see if the hdd / or cd is running in PIO mode "

What is PIO?

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2012, 03:29 PM
So what version of windows is it? And if youre using IDE devices, make sure theyre jumpered properly. Look under IDE ATA / Atapi controllers in device manager. I think thats where it shows, whether its in PIO or DMA mode. It doesnt show on this

SurferJoe46
09-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Fixed it I did - with a little help from the suggestions here.

Thanks all.

Snorkbox
09-01-2012, 07:44 PM
So what version of windows is it? And if youre using IDE devices, make sure theyre jumpered properly. Look under IDE ATA / Atapi controllers in device manager. I think thats where it shows, whether its in PIO or DMA mode. It doesnt show on this

SJ says it's Win XP with SP3 in the first post.

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2012, 08:09 PM
So, the prob was?