PDA

View Full Version : email on laptop

Mike
09-01-2012, 10:46 AM
My wife recently got a laptop, and she'd like to get her email on her laptop as well as still on the desktop. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

both will be running Outlook 2010, the desktop is win 7 pro, the laptop is win xp home.

Cheers,
Mike.

pctek
09-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Use IMAP on one device.

southern_jas
09-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Wouldn't IMAP on both be a better option? If you POP on one it will pull down email which the other machine won't be able to access via IMAP

fred_fish
09-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Yes, IMAP on both, or set both LookOut's to "Leave mail on server" for 30 days or a suitable timeframe to ensure both instances have downloaded the mail.
The downside (with POP) is you have to delete all the crap twice.

Lots of ISP's don't offer IMAP, and it usually confuses non-technical users anyway ...

SP8's
09-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Wife has notebook with 2010 Outlook ... mail settings same as my main computer and we both get the same mail. Her notebook is Win7 ... mine XP.

On your wife's lappy, just go into Outlook > Account Settings ... and put in the same as what's on your computer ... works for me anyway, we both get the same mail. If your wife also has another email address ... say a gmail account of her own, set up a second account and Outlook will download mail from that account as well.