PDA

View Full Version : Monday Laughs withheld.........

Billy T
09-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Given the magnitude of the Carterton ballooning tragedy it is very likely that the families and communities of a number of PF1 members have been affected, but regardless and out of respect for the deceased, their families and their communities, Monday Laughs will not appear this week.

Perhaps this thread could be used for messages of condolence instead, if such a thread does not yet exist.

Billy

lakewoodlady
09-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Good idea Billy T. Our prayers and thoughts are with the families and friends of those who died.

LL

pctek
09-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Why? Every year people die in boating accidents, car accidents (reported especially around now), all sorts.

Must we stop everything because of this?

It was very sad for those related to the people in the balloon accident, but I fail to see why the rest of us stop our usual activities.

Gobe1
09-01-2012, 11:09 AM
I concur

southern_jas
09-01-2012, 11:27 AM
I actually agree with PCTEK in this one - yes it was a bloody tragedy however there are tragedies every day which may affect members of PressF1 so should we always hold back on some light relief all the time? As long as there is nothing in the Monday Laughs that could be looked at as making fun of the Carterton tragedy I can't see why they couldn't be put up.

Roscoe
09-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Very tragic. Very sad. My sympathies to those affected.

But I do agree with pctek (and with southern jas). Why should we curtail our normal activities because someone has died? As was said, people die all the time, but we don't stop every time someone dies. We'd never do anything!

I fail to see why having no Monday funnies - or anything else - is a mark of respect. I don't understand the reasoning behind that. Doing - or not doing - anything will make no difference to anyone alive or dead. Just carry on as usual.

Ulsterman
09-01-2012, 11:54 AM
I too, wonder why no Monday laughs is a mark of respect. I just do not understand that.

Whatever happens we need to carry on, not as if nothing has happened - we do, of course, pause to reflect - but life goes on.

It was a very sad happening and I feel very sorry for those people affected, but I'm sure that those who have been affected will still have to carry on with their lives, not as though nothing had happened of course, but they still have to carry on.

Let us do the same, pause to reflect, but then get on with life and that includes the Monday laughs. After what has happened we could do with a bit of laughter in our lives.

wmoore
09-01-2012, 12:02 PM
I too would have to agree with pctek and others. Very tragic indeed, but we don't seem to stop Monday Laughs after a bad weekend of deaths on the roads. The holiday road toll was 18 people this year. Are we remembering them ?

fred_fish
09-01-2012, 12:39 PM
The holiday road toll was 18 people this year. Are we remembering them ?
Yes, it would seem the NZ Police have suspended their sense of humour as well.

Anyway, an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman were going on a balloon ride ...

:eek::ban

gary67
09-01-2012, 12:41 PM
While the deaths are tragic indeed, I fully concur with Billy T that if he feels the need for No Monday laughs then so be it. After all he does post them for us and compile them, which he doesn't have to do but does out of the goodness of his heart. Thankyou Billy and my condolences go out to the families and friends of those who died

Zippity
09-01-2012, 12:48 PM
What a load of crap............................

coldot
09-01-2012, 01:07 PM
While the deaths are tragic indeed, I fully concur with Billy T that if he feels the need for No Monday laughs then so be it. After all he does post them for us and compile them, which he doesn't have to do but does out of the goodness of his heart. Thankyou Billy and my condolences go out to the families and friends of those who died

I totally agree with that. It is rare that NZ has a tragedy of that magnitude and Billy is right to refrain from levity while many of us are thinking and feeling sympathy for the families. In any event Billy is under no obligation to issue his bulletin every Monday. It is his choice alone and many of us respect that.

CliveM
09-01-2012, 01:19 PM

+1
Billy's choice, he can do whatever he thinks is right and requires no agreement from me nor anyone else.

pctek
09-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Let's have a day of mourning for the 690,632 people who died today.

http://www.poodwaddle.com/clocks/worldclock/

plod
09-01-2012, 02:16 PM
I totally agree with that. It is rare that NZ has a tragedy of that magnitude and Billy is right to refrain from levity while many of us are thinking and feeling sympathy for the families. In any event Billy is under no obligation to issue his bulletin every Monday. It is his choice alone and many of us respect that.
So the 18 or so people that died on the roads during the holiday period don't count

Gobe1
09-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Its not really the magnitude but the method

Zippity
09-01-2012, 02:33 PM
There are some very sanctimonious posters here :(

goodiesguy
09-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Given the magnitude of the Carterton ballooning tragedy it is very likely that the families and communities of a number of PF1 members have been affected, but regardless and out of respect for the deceased, their families and their communities, Monday Laughs will not appear this week.

Perhaps this thread could be used for messages of condolence instead, if such a thread does not yet exist.

Billy

People die every week, in fact every day. That's no reason to stop monday laughs. Monday laughs is something to cheer people up and have a good laugh. I don't get why you don't want to post monday laughs. Sure, 11 people died in a balloon, but millions die around the world every day.

wotz
09-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Respect Billy's decision. He might like feel like laughing.

WalOne
09-01-2012, 04:50 PM

While I agree with pctek and others, I must also agree with gary67 that to suspend this weeks Monday Laughs is Billy T's call, and his alone. Thanks Billy, and you have my support.

The Error Guy
09-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I think billy has a very good joke he doesnt want to share, that or he's run out :devil

bk T
09-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Why? Every year people die in boating accidents, car accidents (reported especially around now), all sorts.

It was very sad for those related to the people in the balloon accident, but I fail to see why the rest of us stop our usual activities.

Agree.

Billy T
09-01-2012, 05:53 PM
I have a few pertinent comments to make:

As has been stated by others, it is my decision every Monday as to whether I post or not, and in this instance the circumstances of the deaths were particularly horrendous.

Members are free to make any comment they wish, but IMHO to rank jokes above expressions of empathy and sympathy in the face of such an appalling tragedy would be to say things about our society mores that would sadden me even more.

Were it two carloads of drunken fools I would have regarded it as Darwinian justice and posted as normal.

I do not understand why balloon and basket are not made of non-flammable materials.

I appreciate the supportive comments.

Billy

mikebartnz
09-01-2012, 07:17 PM

quite agree but if Billy knew someone involved I can understand his stance, otherwise it is just BS.
Did anyone not involved not go to work today because of it?

george12
09-01-2012, 09:37 PM
I think it's incredibly rude and inappropriate of anyone to voice their opposition to Billy's move here. You wouldn't loudly object during a minute's silence in a public place, would you? Thanks for your expression of sympathy towards the victims Billy.

Chilling_Silence
09-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I do not understand why balloon and basket are not made of non-flammable materials.

I've wondered this also?! Surely it's not too difficult?

goodiesguy
09-01-2012, 10:39 PM
You wouldn't loudly object during a minute's silence in a public place, would you?

If I had a good reason or it was a good cause, I would.

pcuser42
10-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Edit: probably misread. >_

gary67
10-01-2012, 07:49 AM
If I had a good reason or it was a good cause, I would.

That has to be the rudest statement I have read for a long time. It's time to drop the attitude and grow up

Zippity
10-01-2012, 08:11 AM
That has to be the rudest statement I have read for a long time. It's time to drop the attitude and grow up

Why is it?

Nowhere in this thread or on this forum does it state that the Monday laughs are the property of the OP

It is time that some of you got down off your high horses and quit the preachin'

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2012, 08:28 AM
No. It's time to show a little respect. Both Zippity and goodiesguy have got pretty **** attitudes to be honest.

If you were somewhere, you wouldn't speak out and object to a minutes silence, you'd simply go along with it out of respect, or I'm sure the people nearby would *beat* the respect into you. Grow up both of you, I don't care how old you are. Thread closed.