PDA

View Full Version : How can I get movie files off a hard drive from a broken video recorder?

delta whiskey
08-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Hi,
The drive concerned came out of a Panasonic DMR-EH55 Hard drive recorder, it's a Western Digital Caviar WB1600BB and has a number of recorded movies on it I'm keen to get to.
I have removed the HD from the recorder, jumpered the drive to be a single drive and installed it into a 3.5" external desktop case with a USB2 connection to my PC. When powered up I can hear the drive spin up and the case indicator lights all appear normal. The drive appears in "Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management" OK - 149.05GB unallocated, and on line. It does not appear in the list of available drives in Computer.
Can anyone suggest how I can handle this or is it, as I suspect, a problem caused by the Disk having a specific format required by Panasonic for their recorders.
Thanks in advance for an help or advice
Dave

Robin S_
08-01-2012, 11:06 PM
If you're in Auckland try ringing Panasonic - 272 0100. Otherwise they might have an 0800 number.

mikebartnz
08-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Windows is sh!t at recognizing anything but Windows so you need to try a Linux live cd because the odds are against it being a Windows partition.

nedkelly
09-01-2012, 06:40 AM
I agree with mike, get a live cd of debian or something and see if that detects it, hopefully it is a format that linux can access. Some companies use their own formats on hard drives in their devices just to be a pain in the a**

delta whiskey
09-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the ideas - I'll have a go down the Linux route - also call Panasonic, finally ended up with an out of office message so am hanging on for a call back :->

Paul.Cov
09-01-2012, 08:01 PM
I've got exactly the same issue, files on a drive from a faulty Panasonic recorder.

I'd got as far as determining the disc is in UDF format (typically used for optical media).

Hadn't found a way to get Win to recognise it. Never thought to try Linux.

Let me know how you get on... perhaps we can compare notes.

My Panasonic simply failed to start normally. Would power up briefly, then shut down with no error message generated.

nedkelly
09-01-2012, 09:16 PM
I would love to know what format panasonic uses, parents got a hdtv that can record to an external drive and I want to be able to access it on pc