PDA

View Full Version : Router/Modem Problem.

Poppa John
08-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Hi All.
We have a problem with our wireless router, I think. Our set up is like this. ADSL2 into Orcon Netgear DM11PUSPv-SSL. It is a singlw socket out put into......................

A Belkin G Wireless Router with 4 sockets out.This appears to have died, no internet.

If I connect my PC directly to the Netgear, I can get Internet. If I connect the Netgear to the Belkin I get nothing, Not wired or wireless. So I am thinking the Belkin is not working.

What to do for the best.?

Leave the Adsl2 Netgear alone & replace the 4way Belkin?
Or
Get a single 4 way Modem/Router.
And which one.
Thanks PJ

Chilling_Silence
08-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Go for the Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn, should sort those issues ;)

Poppa John
08-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Go for the Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn, should sort those issues ;)

Checked Internet, Harvey, Dick & Noel, none of them have a Netcomm. What is your next best, all have much the same brands & models. Thanks. PJ

Snorkbox
08-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Try here PJ.

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=386303

Poppa John
08-01-2012, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=Snorkbox;1069918]Try here PJ.

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=386303[/QUOTE

Thanks for that info.

I have just had the sense to test the 5 volt 1 Amp DC power supply. DEAD. So the Belkin might still be ok. I will take it down town & see if I can get another one.PJ

Poppa John
08-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Dammit...I am wrong. I was testing on the wrong meter scale. The little tranny is ok, so it must be the Belkin. PJ

Robin S_
08-01-2012, 11:50 PM
I bought my Netcomm modem/router (an NB6Plus4W ADSL+ because it has a USB port which is useful for networking a printer) from PC Tronix in Auckland about 12 months ago - not sure if they have branches elsewhere. PB Technologies probably also have them. To do a price survey try http://pricespy.co.nz or http://gearbot.co.nz - you might find a source in Wanganui which allows pickups which can speed up problem resolution if needed.

HTH

Chilling_Silence
09-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Yup, PBTech definitely do. In fact, I spoke with a few of the guys and told them several stories etc, about the quality of them, and now they've got this on their site:
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MODNCM1065

Throw away the free modem that given by your ISP, use this one instead, all problems will go away, no more Connection drops, enjoy your fast connection which you deserve to get. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed - If you're not satisfied with this product you purchase from us you can return it to us for a full refund with in 14 days. we are confident to give you this promise simply because this unit is the best in the market.

:D

b....
09-01-2012, 10:42 AM
I am in suburban Christchurch and have just upgraded to the new wireless Telecom supplied TG582N modem from their earlier single user non wireless one. I have had no problems with the old modem and only upgraded to get wireless for new laptop.
The old modem was connected to an 8-port switch and then to main computer, TV, Wii, and a spare lead to old laptop. The new set-up is the same except I have shifted the main computer from the switch to the modem.
Connection speed on Speedtest.net is 4.8-5.5Mbs. Doesn't seem to have changed with new modem.

What, if any, improvement could I get by using the Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn?
It would be a bit unfair to put it to the test by getting one from PB and then using their "100% Satisfaction Guaranteed" option if it wasn't likely to give a worthwhile improvement.

linw
09-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Very unlikely to give any improvement as several TC Thomson modems I have used all give very good download speeds. Are you on ADSL2+?

Check your sync speed within the modem - you don't appear to be very close to the exchange/cabinet or you have cabling problems. I get 14.5 Mbps down on a V7 Thompson modem.

bk T
09-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Very unlikely to give any improvement as several TC Thomson modems I have used all give very good download speeds. Are you on ADSL2+?

Check your sync speed within the modem - you don't appear to be very close to the exchange/cabinet or you have cabling problems. I get 14.5 Mbps down on a V7 Thompson modem.

+ 1 :thumbs:

b....
09-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Yes, I am on ADSL2+. House cabling should be ok. The modem is connected to a splitter at the phone line entry point. Disconnecting the outlet to the phones doesn't make any difference.

Can't check sync speed as I am on holiday in Wellington. In fact download speed where I am staying in Wellington is also only about 5.6Mbs. Would love 14.5Mbs.

Robin S_
11-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Updating my previous post. I mentioned that I bought the Netcomm NB6Plus4W because it has a USB port to which I planned to connect our printer and share it on our 2-cptr network. Wrong! The USB port is for connecting a cptr not a printer and is for those who cannot use a standard ethernet cable connection. So avoid making the same mistake as I.

From a PB Technology tech yesterday, the Netcomms ("made" in Australia) are robust and have the great advantage that the ones sold in NZ carry software tweaked specifically for the NZ scene. Apparently all or most other brands have "regional" software which is more generalised and less well adapted for NZ and makes them less easy to set up here.

Maybe most people here know all this but this is for the benefit of any who don't.

Iantech
12-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Connection speed on Speedtest.net is 4.8-5.5Mbs. Doesn't seem to have changed with new modem.
Sadly, thats about average for some areas around Chch. Some parts of Burnside, Bishopdale come to mind. Also some parts of North New Brighton down to Southshore are pretty slow. I have a client in Broomfield that has fibre to the door (house about 1 year old) and they are lower than that - not much better than dial-up last time I was over there.
Yet some other parts are getting 16-18Mbs and even have one client that got over 21 when I installed their modem and ran a speedtest recently.

fred_fish
12-01-2012, 12:37 AM
I have a client in Broomfield that has fibre to the door (house about 1 year old) and they are lower than that - not much better than dial-up last time I was over there.
That doesn't sound right.
You might want to check what plan they are on.
Just did a fibre setup and there was 2 to choose from, 30Mbps or 128k !

Iantech
12-01-2012, 08:09 AM
That doesn't sound right.
You might want to check what plan they are on.
Just did a fibre setup and there was 2 to choose from, 30Mbps or 128k !You're right, it doesn't sound right and its very frustrating when out there trying to update software etc. I seem to remember when I did a speedcheck out there it was only 0.68Mbps - as I said, not much better than dial-up. All those new sub-divisions seem to be tied into some sort of communications provider (phone, internet) such as Worldexchange (but in this case it isn't them) and the residents cant change to anyone else and have to put up with the crap (constant drop offs, low speed, etc) they are locked into. Hes complained at their service a 100 times and got nowhere.

Poppa John
13-01-2012, 04:38 PM
All sorted now thanks. With help from Chill. Spent the money I was saving to Lube, Oil & tune the car on a Netcomm instead.
Only problem now is a wireless Epson TX550W printer that has to go to Warehouse Stationary Wanganui to go to Palmerston North to have the memory wiped to allow the new details of the Netcomm to be installed. This had to happen once before, dammit.
Again........Thanks All. PJ

fred_fish
13-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Only problem now is a wireless Epson TX550W printer that has to go to Warehouse Stationary Wanganui to go to Palmerston North to have the memory wiped to allow the new details of the Netcomm to be installed. This had to happen once before, dammit.

Wait... what?

/me adds Epson printers to list of things never to buy.

linw
14-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Double ...what?? What is so special about this printer of yours that needs that treatment? I have never seen any wireless device that needed to know what it was connected to. TCP/IP is universal.