PDA

View Full Version : Very Odd High Load GFX Card Issue

Tracer-Bullet
07-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Hello,

I've recently bought a new PC. The issue I'm having is that when running almost all games the GPU utilisation for each of the 3 graphics cards I've listed shoots up to 100% and stays there until the application exits. This is an issue because the games I'm running on the settings I have them at should not require anywhere near 100% GPU utilisation.

The main components are listed below along with the three different graphics cards I've tried. Note I'm trying each graphics card separately, not all at once or in SLI.

At first I thought it might be a GFX issue however each card is less than a month old which was new out the box so it seems doubtful. I've tried all the up to date drivers downloaded from Nvidia, Beta ones included. It's not an issue to do with the games I'm running since I've tried so many.

So I began to think it was an issue with the motherboard. This is the odd part. I have another PC identical in every way except that the motherboard is a Gigabyte X58-USB3. I have the same experience with each graphics card in this machine also. This seems to disprove that its due to a faulty motherboard, it seems more likely to be some sort of Gigabyte X58 series incompatibility issue though truth be told I've not the foggiest idea. Any help would be great.

Hardware Info

Gigabyte X58A-UD35
Intel Quad Core i7 960
Kingston HyperX 24GB (6x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 240-pin DIMM
850W Modular Power Supply
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 2.5" Solid State Drive VTX3-25SAT3-120G

EVGA GeForce GTS 450 1GB Graphics Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS 1024MB Graphics Card
KFA2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550Ti EX OC Edition 2GB Graphics Card

Paul.Cov
07-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Dude! Here's the problem: From the Gigabyte Website

Bundle Software

Norton Internet Security (OEM version)

Sorry, bad joke. However, maybe this is a help:

(Note 2) For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.
(Note 3) The PCIEX8_1 and PCIEX8_2 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots espectively. When PCIEX8_1 is populated with an expansion card, the PCIEX16_1 slot will operate at up to x8 mode; when PCIEX8_2 is populated with an expansion card, the PC IEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

dugimodo
07-01-2012, 08:45 PM
How are you measuring GPU utilisation? and are the games running ok other than the 100% usage problem?

icow
07-01-2012, 09:33 PM
What software are you using to measure this? Do you still have the problem when you remove the 450? I read something awhile ago about someone getting lower loads and better performance in 3 way sli instead of 4 way because the gpu's were using too much of their processing power on splitting the load over 4 cards. Haven't heard of this in a 3 way sli though.

dugimodo
07-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Read the post, he's using them individually.

Something that occured to me, are you using dual screens at all? Nvidia have a strange issue where using two different resolution monitors causes high loading.

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2012, 11:56 PM
I was under the impression they would just try and render them at the highest frame-rate possible. You've not mentioned what games you're testing with or what you're using to measure this either.

Tracer-Bullet
08-01-2012, 01:48 AM
I'm using GPU-Z 5.7 to monitor the load however I've also used EVGA precision. Games such as Crysis 1 & 2, BF3, Skyrim, RO2 and even Minecraft all get the cards up to 100% load. I'm running a single display at 1920x1080 60HZ.

All the cards have been tested in the PCIEX16_1 configuration.

All the games I've tested run great with all three of the cards however having the load sit at 100% constantly surely isn't doing the card any good.

dugimodo
08-01-2012, 02:01 AM
What are the temps and fan speeds sitting at?
Try running furmark which is a real 100% load and see if it's the same, maybe the software is leading you astray.

I know when I had 2 GTX460s I could hear when the load was high because the fans audiby sped up.

Tracer-Bullet
08-01-2012, 10:25 AM
The temperature regularly hits 90+ with the fans at 90%+.

Chilling_Silence
08-01-2012, 11:13 AM
They shouldn't be getting that hot. Its possible the cards are slowing themselves to prevent the heat. Check your case airflow, check the thermal paste, and other similar things.

How hot is the rest of your system?