PDA

View Full Version : can't install windows xp/7

chumscrubber
06-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Hello guys, I have really weird problem. I was trying to reinstall windows xp on my friends computer, but it freezes on loading files, i erased and partitioned
hdd with partition magic (ntfs) but still no luck. also tested ram with memtest from hiren's bootCD but no errors. finally tried to install windows 7 but there was the same problem, freezes after copying files.

any ideas?

Agent_24
06-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Try doing a full zero erase of the drive but don't manually partition it. Let Windows do the partitioning and formatting itself.

I have also seen newer OS have issues on some older hardware, you might need to look for a BIOS update if the PC is quite old.

Some more details on the system specifications and configuration would be very useful.

chumscrubber
06-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Try doing a full zero erase of the drive but don't manually partition it. Let Windows do the partitioning and formatting itself.

I have also seen newer OS have issues on some older hardware, you might need to look for a BIOS update if the PC is quite old.

Some more details on the system specifications and configuration would be very useful.

yea I was thinking about bios too.
don't exactly remember details but its AMD 2,4ghz 2gb of ram and the motherboard is m2n-sli delux (asus)

I was also thinking installing windows xp sp2 instead of sp3 but not sure if that will work

wainuitech
06-01-2012, 10:10 PM
What speed is the RAM set to?

have a look at This MS help Thread (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/c74c55c3-a923-492a-b639-2127e9806354) The last post. :2cents:

chumscrubber
06-01-2012, 10:24 PM
What speed is the RAM set to?

have a look at This MS help Thread (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/c74c55c3-a923-492a-b639-2127e9806354) The last post. :2cents:

I don't think there is overclocked anything but I'll keep that in mind, thanks a lot ;)

Agent_24
06-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Board isn't old enough to have the kind of BIOS issues I was thinking of, but you could always try the latest version just for fun.

Are you using your hard drive with the JMicron JMB363 SATA controller by any chance? I think I remember something about these being unable to install an OS on, but can be used for storage.

Otherwise, try resetting BIOS to defaults. Might be a bad setting somewhere.

chumscrubber
06-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Board isn't old enough to have the kind of BIOS issues I was thinking of, but you could always try the latest version just for fun.

Are you using your hard drive with the JMicron JMB363 SATA controller by any chance? I think I remember something about these being unable to install an OS on, but can be used for storage.

Otherwise, try resetting BIOS to defaults. Might be a bad setting somewhere.

hard drive is barracuda by seagate. also tried to reset bios by defaults but still no luck :(

I suppose it can be bios update issue or ram is dying

Agent_24
07-01-2012, 10:00 AM
hard drive is barracuda by seagate. also tried to reset bios by defaults but still no luck :(

I suppose it can be bios update issue or ram is dying

Is the HDD IDE or SATA? Which port is it plugged into? Might even be a faulty HDD, do you have another you can try?

If you have more than 1 stick of RAM, try taking out all except 1, then try installing again. If the install still won't work, swap that 1 stick for one of the others and try again.

I have experienced in one case a machine that had BSOD errors constantly, while Memtest showed nothing wrong, however when the RAM was replaced, no more BSOD.

wainuitech
07-01-2012, 10:10 AM
I have experienced in one case a machine that had BSOD errors constantly, while Memtest showed nothing wrong, however when the RAM was replaced, no more BSOD.

Yep -- Had that happen several times as well, I also ran MS's RAM test and that showed OK.

chumscrubber
08-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Agent_24
wainuitech

thanks a lot for ideas, i installed windows xp sp1 and it ran ok, but now it won't boot again. I'll see the computer tomorrow again, today we celebrated christmas and i had no time for computers, I'll try to remove one of two ram memories tomorrow. I really can't try other HDD I'm on vacations here, anyway thanks for help will post the results tomorrow.
p.s it doesn't look like bsod according to my friend there were no error screen like that

PENTIUM
08-01-2012, 10:57 AM
I suppose your CMOS battery is O K? If so, I would look at the HDD controller port.

Agent_24
08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Agent_24
wainuitech

thanks a lot for ideas, i installed windows xp sp1 and it ran ok, but now it won't boot again. I'll see the computer tomorrow again, today we celebrated christmas and i had no time for computers, I'll try to remove one of two ram memories tomorrow. I really can't try other HDD I'm on vacations here, anyway thanks for help will post the results tomorrow.
p.s it doesn't look like bsod according to my friend there were no error screen like that

Might want to take a look at the HDD health too... get http://www.hdat2.com/ and check SMART status for a start, if anything pops up as warning, post here what it was.

Note: if you want to do actual tests\blanking etc above just reading SMART values, make sure you use version v4.5.3 (which is included on the latest CD ISO image if you use that) as the latest one is a 'demo' and doesn't actually run any tests.

chumscrubber
12-01-2012, 07:31 AM
I finally isntalled windows and it works ok untill the process 13.exe begins using cpu fully. deleted it but after restarting it starts again. also tried to delete from registar but still the same. 13exe in in folder application data. also tried root kit remove tool by kaspersky but it can't find anything. the last chance i think is to use a killdisk.

wainuitech
12-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Is the CD you installed a legit Windows CD or has it been downloaded from somewhere.

looking up that 13.exe thats part of a virus / trojan, unless you are not giving the full name of the process ?

chumscrubber
14-01-2012, 01:29 PM
the cd is the original windows cd. the full name of the process is 13.exe nothing else

Snorkbox
14-01-2012, 01:44 PM
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/13/20469/

Agent_24
14-01-2012, 01:52 PM
the cd is the original windows cd. the full name of the process is 13.exe nothing else

As far as I know, 13.exe is NOT a legitimate Windows executable, and there is no way it would be on a real CD.

If you can, upload the 13.exe file to www.virustotal.com and post the results page link here.

If it turns out to be a virus, then I suggest you search your CD for "13.exe" and see if it is on there (it might be inside a CAB file or such) If it is indeed there, then your "original" CD is most likely a pirate copy with virus that looks like a real CD.

If your CD is a slipstreamed Windows CD you made yourself, then the computer you did the slipstreaming on was probably infected.

Otherwise, there could be a virus in a USB drive or other hard drive or other drive connected to your computer, and it gets infected as soon as you install Windows.

It could even be on the boot sector of the HDD itself - did you try a FULL re-zero including boot sector with program such as HDAT2 or Darik's Boot-and-nuke?

chumscrubber
25-01-2012, 09:19 AM
thanks a lot to everybody who posted here. finally fixed the problem with HDAT2 as posted Agent_24 . So i guess the virus was in boot sector.
the first virus was called 13.exe and was in app data. after couple minutes appeared 1.exe 4.exe and so on. anyway for those who might have the same problem erase hdd complitly, the only way to fix the problem i think

wainuitech
25-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Good that you got it sorted, but little confused about the last comment re "erase the HDD completely".

In the original post you said
I was trying to reinstall windows xp on my friends computer, but it freezes on loading files, i erased and partitioned

chumscrubber
25-01-2012, 09:33 AM
first time i erased hdd using only partition magic, and then used hdat2