PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media player - CD titles and riped titles NOT the same

Aporosa
06-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi all,
I have ripped a CD on Windows Media Player but the ripped titles do not match the CD titles - the artwork is correct?? I have looked around the options but can't spot what the problem is. Other CDs are fine - titles match. Can you please (in simple instructions) tell me how to correct this - I assume its as simple as clicking or unclicking a box . Thanks people!!!

wainuitech
06-01-2012, 09:41 AM
WMP can get track info from the internet. On mine WMP12 ( windows 7) if you put in a music CD, then right click the first track, find album info, WMP does a search -- it may give several versions of the CD, got a old one here with 500 results.

Two ways to check its the right one, highlight the first, click next or Click on the first album, click More ( see picture below) all the tracks will be listed, make sure they match what your cd is - Depending on where it was sold, you will have to work through the different albums to get the correct one. Then click next and all the tracks will appear in the correct order.

In the picture the "best one" that WMP thinks it is in fact isn't, Its actually the forth.

dugimodo
06-01-2012, 09:53 AM
I get this a bit in my collection ripped with media player, DBpoweramp is much better at getting it right and has all the same format support + more so I just delete them and re rip with that now.
Or what wainui said, but I find Media player doesn't always find our local release versions at all.

Aporosa
06-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your help but no go. I runXP (deliberatly - I love XP) and have WMP V.11. I found heaps of similar 'various artist' cds but not this actual cd - mine is a 36 Massive hits NZ version. There must be something I can click in the settings/options that will force the player to read off the CD only and not try to be a 'smart a55' and go to the net??? Help please

Aporosa
06-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks for your help but no go. I runXP (deliberatly - I love XP) and have WMP V.11. I found heaps of similar 'various artist' cds but not this actual cd - mine is a 36 Massive hits NZ version. There must be something I can click in the settings/options that will force the player to read off the CD only and not try to be a 'smart a55' and go to the net??? Help please

Aporosa
06-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Ok, just downloaded the 21 day trial of DBpoweramp and ripping now - yes, the titles are correct. BUT, having said that, I am still sure WMP will have a facility to disable the function that searches the net and defaults to the actual CD title list..... ANY IDEAS please, cheers

wainuitech
06-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Privacy tab.
Untick Retrieve media information for CDs and DVDs from the Internet.

Then try this -- Library Tab, Tick Rename music files ------ and Rearrange music --------

One of the possible reasons is if its the "Now" series of CD's the NZ versions have always been a pain to list correctly. For some reason ( maybe to small a data base) WMP often wont find them.:2cents: ( which is what Dugimodo pointed out)

dugimodo
06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't have that vesion of media player, but I'm sure you can disable the function to get artist information off the net. Trouble is then you'd get unkown artist, unknown album, track01, track02 etc and have to edit the tracks manually (which you can do by the way try right clicking them).

The most annoying thing for me is that I just chain ripped over 200 CD's a few months back and now randomly find some with the tracks misnamed evey now and again.
There are plenty of free ripping tools around, perhaps someone can reccomend one. I use DBpoweramp because it supports lossless WMA which is for me the best option to use in windows media centre and media player annoyed me with it's poor artist info.

MushHead
06-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I think you''ll find that there isn't a CD title list on most, if not all, CD's - I think it's possible using an extension of the CD specification, but it's not implemented (for compatibility reasons??). That's why all these programs go to the internet to find the titles.

Aporosa
06-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks for your help. Ok, currently still ripping with dBpoweram so don't want to open WMP but will try suggestion.... and yes, it is the Now series, so as you say... The thing is why is there even a need to go to the net (unless you want to get really flash and get album covers for individual songs etc).... I would assume the basic details - title and artist - would be on the CD, therefore if this is all you want, no need for a simultaneous connection to the net????

wainuitech
06-01-2012, 10:52 AM
One program I use a lot for many thing is Ashampoo Burning studio 10 ( its not free though) and that found the previous tracks perfectly and all in the right order.

There is an older free version which works on XP -W7 fine, Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-6 (http://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/0710/Offline/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-6) But never tried to rip a music CD with that version - (should work OK) give a it a go -- nothing to lose.

afe66
06-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Mediamonkey works for me. (there is a free and paid versions)
I rip everything into FLAC for storage then ogg/mp3 to listen on HTC Hero while running.
It looks up the track names in freedb but often get it to look up the cd on amazon which also allows me to download the album art.

A.

kahawai chaser
06-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks for your help. Ok, currently still ripping with dBpoweram so don't want to open WMP but will try suggestion.... and yes, it is the Now series, so as you say... The thing is why is there even a need to go to the net (unless you want to get really flash and get album covers for individual songs etc).... I would assume the basic details - title and artist - would be on the CD, therefore if this is all you want, no need for a simultaneous connection to the net????

Good point, about not providing track data. You can use tag programs (e.g. mp3 tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/), to add name, genre, album, etc. Doing so helped, by displaying the names, categories, etc on stereos/DVD players for ripped discs, and for utilizing certain mp3 software, e.g. Organizers.

Whenu
06-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Audiograbber can look up the track details as well through freedb?