PDA

View Full Version : Pointer issue

Erger
05-01-2012, 10:03 AM
I have a Lenovo R500 running Win7 Pro, fully up to date.

Of late I have had an issue normally when coming out of Hibernation (to a logon screen) where the mouse pointer is unresponsive and even after a reboot it is ususally still the same and requires me to use the keyboard options to power the machine off. If I plug in a USB mouse it works fine and often this seems to resolve the problem, I can then remove the USB mouse and use the the TrackPoint of the Touch Pad.

I have uninstalled the Ultranav several times and updated the drivers however the problem occurs whether I have the latest drivers or not. Yesterday for the first time when I went to logon, I noted the pointer was locked up and the keyboard also was unresponsive.

Right now after several restarts, and then starting with the USB mouse already plugged in (now removed) everything is working.

Any thoughts appreciated or ways to check what might be the problem?

Erger
17-01-2012, 08:18 AM
so took it to a repair company (Lenovo agents), and they said they could not get it to fail and could find no problem. Back to work - OK. Started up next morning, pointer just sitting there doesn't move, plug in a USB mouse and go into device manager and the only pointing device is the USB. Completely re-install system and use for the rest of the weekend all ok, monday morning same thing (recover laptop from carpark where I threw it - I wish), turn off turn on cold boot warm boot, after about half an hour it works all day, all evening . . . . turn on the next morning and the same problem. Currently using a USB mouse.

Is this hardware or software do you think?
What would cause the operating system to no 'see' and load the device at boot?
Why is there a pointer on the screen if there is no device to move it?

thanks

Speedy Gonzales
17-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Might be a BIOS prob. What BIOS is on it now?

Erger
17-01-2012, 09:00 AM
7YET83WW (3.13) release date 13/12/2010 (this is according to the registry entry)

Actually I see there is a later version 3.14 is that worth trying?

jareemon
17-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Yes, if you're confident in flashing it

Erger
17-01-2012, 11:30 AM
updated Bios, pointer started working then stopped. Rebooted machine and no pointing device in Device manager except USB Mouse - bugger!

wainuitech
17-01-2012, 11:51 AM
You need to find out if its software or hardware related.

I suggest you boot the Laptop from a bootable CD, some sort of Linux, either Ubuntu, or theres plenty of smaller versions about. If you boot from the CD and the pointer works OK, then theres a chance its software related, if not then hardware.

took it to a repair company (Lenovo agents), and they said they could not get it to fail and could find no problem One can assume ? you were charged -- take it back and tell them to fix the damn thing, take screen shots of the device manager which as you say doesn't show the mouse etc.

Erger
17-01-2012, 11:58 AM
thanks Wainui yeh it is a real mystery. Just rebooted and the pointer worked, opened chrome, and it stopped, plugged in USB and went to device manager and it shows:- HID-compliant mouse & Thinkpad UltraNav although the neither the touchpad nor the little joystick move the pointer. Right clicking on this shows the device is working properly.
Just seems no pattern and this would indicate that even when the device is 'loaded' it still sometimes does not work . . . it is the randomness and inability to create the problem on demand that is frustrating.