PDA

View Full Version : SD Card for music files

Chemical Ali
04-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Hi All

I am looking at getting a 120GB SSD drive for my main PC on which I want to store the O/S (Windows 7), Office 2010, 5-6 games and my music collection. By my calculations I am approximately 20GB short of space on the SSD (and not prepared to stump up $650+ for a 240GB SSD!!)

What I was thinking of doing was housing a quarter of my music collection on an SD card which I would permanently keep in the card reader on the PC. I appreciate that SD cards are traditionally used in still/video cameras but I was presuming that I could purchase one, format to FAT32 or NTFS and copy MP3/WAV files onto it?

Can anyone see any issues or potential pitfalls with this plan?

Cheers

dugimodo
05-01-2012, 01:36 AM
No it would work fine, or you could get a large USB flash drive to achieve the same thing. You don't want a normal hard drive for data storage which is what most of us with SSD's do ? If space is an issue maybe a laptop drive? even at current prices a small hard drive will be faster, larger, and cheaper per GB than an SD card.

If you only have a single SSD it has to have the Swap file on it, mine is set to use another drive to save space and increase the life of the SSD (probably not really an issue) and my games are mostly installed on a Raid array except for the one or two I play a lot.
Also windows tends to start complaining at you if drives get too full and can get unstable or slow in some cases.

My windows installation with a few programs and World of Warcraft (28GB by itself) installed on a 120GB SSD is currently sitting at 49.3 Gb used. It amazed me how small it got when I removed all the unwanted rubbish and moved the swapfile.

Snorkbox
05-01-2012, 02:10 AM
@ Dugimodo.

If the rig is the same as the OP's signature then I would think he already has other drives.

dugimodo
05-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Yeah I saw that, but I don't understand why he would want an SD card if that was the case. Just leave the music on one of those drives if it is, and set the swap file there also. Problem solved.

Chemical Ali
05-01-2012, 10:03 AM
No it's a newer, different rig housed in a smaller Shuttle case [i5 CPU, 1TB SATA HDD, 4GB RAM] so space is an issue. Was also considering a secondary laptop SATA drive alongside the SSD or a permanently attached USB drive. Thanks for the responses!
Must remember to update my forum signature!

Chemical Ali
05-01-2012, 10:09 AM
@ Dugimodo:
Did you notice a significant performance increase within Windows and with your games when you switched to an SSD?
I'm looking at an OCZ Vertex 3 but a bit worried about the reported BSOD problems reported by some users.

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2012, 10:49 AM
I've got one of those in my PC and one in my wifes. Brilliant drives!! :D
You need SATA3 to take full advantage of the speeds, otherwise you'll be hampered by SATA2 as I am.

No need to keep your music and things on it at all, bit of a waste considering you don't need high-speed access to an MP3 file. I agree, get a secondary 2.5" HDD for it. The theory behind using an SD card would work, but the practicality behind it, you're better off getting a 2.5" HDD ;)

Chemical Ali
05-01-2012, 12:07 PM
@ Chilling Silence:
What brand/model of SSD do you have installed in yours and your wife's PCs?

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2012, 01:00 PM
I've got the 90GB Agility3, she has the 60GB Vertex 3 (Coz PBTech didn't have the Agility3 in-stock at the time).

Been running it for 3-4 months now, wouldn't go back :D

wainuitech
05-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Just a bit of a heads up on that shuttle, when I had a look at it here , it was because it kept on crashing, locking up. After doing extensive testing on all the parts over a day and a bit the only conclusion that I could come to is the power supply in it was to small to run much more than the standard parts as it came, considering it had a i5 CPU, WD high performance drive etc.

When trying to run the graphic card it would crash due to lack of power, running the onboard it was fine.

The graphic card that was in it, the min wattage required was already exceed just by the card on its own.

It only had a small PSU and most of its power was already being used, so adding more devices on it could push it over the top.:2cents:

Chemical Ali
05-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Hey Mister Wainui Tech

I recently upgraded the PSU in the Shuttle system to the 500W version - left that graphics card out of the machine for 2 weeks and it never crashed (when using onboard graphics).
After that I put the video card back in and it's only crashing occasionally (say once a week).
I then swapped the video cards in my two desktop PCs and put a 9600GT in the Shuttle case and it worked a charm and that video card in my other PC hasn't caused it to crash once and it's been in there a week now (fingers crossed). I suspect that having a power outlet on the 9600GT is ensuring that it's getting enough power while there was no power connector on that "rogue" graphics card. Possibly not getting enough juice via the PCI-e slot??

Putting in an SSD will cut down on the hard drive noise levels as well (if you remember the hard drive volume in that Shuttle PC)

wainuitech
05-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah the WD black drive was a bit to loud for a new drive. Would have expected it to be a little quieter.

There may have been some weird happening with the video card / Shuttle combo, as the card was tested to the point of its either gonna blow or work as it should, and it worked perfectly.

dugimodo
05-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Was off at the beach today so a bit delayed with my reply :)
Yes I noticed the SSD being much better, in a round about backhanded way. When I originally got it I cloned windows 7 onto it with the InTel edition of acronis, Initially it worked ok but I can't say I was blown away with the performance over my old WD black drive, however there were some issues with the cloning so I reverted back to the WD black temporarily to sort it out and geez it suddenly felt slow compared to the SSD. So no I didn't notice much to start with, but going back felt horrible.

As for games I only actually have WoW on it because it loads a lot as you play, and the difference is pretty tiny in practice. The game does launch noticeably faster, and changing Zones is quick but the rest of the time it's the same.
One unexpected effect, when I join a dungeon I usually get there first and have to wait for everyone else to finish Zoning in, Hurry up and Get SSD's ppl!

I was a bit worried about going SSD so I played it relatively safe going for intel (or so I thought, the 320 series did actually have some issues with the firmware prior to mine) but my drive is pretty slow compared to the new sandforce based models.
What I'm thinking is I'll get a faster SSD at some point to replace my C: and use the "old" intel SSD as an app / game drive to replace my Raid array which is pretty mediocre (samsung spinpoint F3 + WD black 1TB drives in software raid lol...)

Chemical Ali
09-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Ordered a 90GB Vertex 3 SSD and a 250GB Western Digital Black 2.5" HDD which arrived today. Installed the SSD in 5 minutes and it took just on 15 minutes to install Windows 7. I am very impressed with the general speed difference. iTunes for example now opens in less than a second when it used to take 8-10 seconds. Booting to a usable desktop (admittedly it's on a clean Windows install) now takes just on 25 seconds! Just in the process of transferring all my music files onto the Western Digital Black 2.5" hard drive now. Am interested to see how long it takes iTunes to compile/add the tracks to the library - that sued to be a multi-hour job with a mechanical hard drive.

fred_fish
10-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Reported.

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Cleaned the spam, thanks :)

Chemical Ali
10-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Is anyone happy for me? ....

Chilling_Silence
10-01-2012, 04:58 PM
I was waiting for you to post back about copying the data, then I was going to be happy for you ;)

Yeah it's *much* nicer with a SSD huh? Makes Windows *SO* much snappier!

Chemical Ali
10-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Building the iTunes library took less than an hour as opposed to a 3-4 hour time frame previously. Very glad I did it!

Chilling_Silence
11-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Sweeeeeeet! :D
I'm happy for you ;)