PDA

View Full Version : Uncommanded PC shutdown during Skype video call

Ratagin
04-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Recently I've experienced an uncommanded shutdown of my desktop at approx. 8 mins into a Skype video call. I'm running Windows 7 (updates current) and I can't detect any drivers that need updating, particularly in respect of the graphics card. Anyone had a similar problem or got any ideas?

Cheers,
Darryl

Speedy Gonzales
04-01-2012, 07:05 PM
I would disable auto-restart. And see if its blue screening. If it is crashing, whats the stop error? Or get bluescreenview, install it. What does it say is the cause (if its crashing)? (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html)

Download is at the bottom

Ratagin
05-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks for that Speedy. The desktop is not auto-restarting after shutdown and remains off.
I've downloaded bluescreenview and will test it in the next day or so.
Cheers

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Do you get notified? You can always push the Windows Key + R, and type:
shutdown /a

Better still, do that now, so all you have to push is the WinKey + R, to get the Run box, then hit "Enter" (Coz it remembers what you last wrote). That's the command to abort a shutdown :D

Also, run Speccy in a window while you're Skyping and make sure your PC isn't overheating.

Ratagin
05-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Cheers Chilling_Silence for that advice. There's no notification; just complete shutdown, end of story!
I wondered whether it might be a power supply issue (I'm currently using a 350W supply and considered upping to a 500W) or a processor overheat situation, as you've pointed out. I'm not familiar with 'Speccy'; is that an embedded function of Windows 7 or do I need to download it from a specific site?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
05-01-2012, 07:19 PM
I would definitely replace that 350W PSU, esp if its a Hyena. Theyre crap

wainuitech
05-01-2012, 07:20 PM
One easy way to tell if its overheating -- when it shuts down, if you try to start it straight away, it wont start if its to hot. If its left for 5-10 minutes it would then start.

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2012, 09:47 PM
http://www.piriform.com/speccy