PDA

View Full Version : (Very) old laptop free to a good home for a regular contributing member

Tukapa
04-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Hi all

I have a very old laptop here which I was going to bin but then I thought there may be someone here who could use it.

It is a Dell Latitude CSx - specs here (http://support.ap.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pmac2cm/en/en_ug/specs.htm).

Basically it is a P3 500Mhz with 64MB Ram and a 10GB HDD.

It has 1 x USB and an attached card with 10/100 ethernet. It has an external CD drive and the cable that attaches to the laptop - not sure if that works or not.

The laptop has Win 98SE COA on the bottom but some muppet at some stage installed Windows XP on it. I am unable to reformat the hard drive so would be relying on whoever wanted it to do that for me. It belonged to a family member who has forgotten her login password for XP. I have powered it up (obviously the battery appears to be stuffed but the AC Adaptor works) but I cannot get past the login screen without putting in some effort.

Someone may have a use for it. If not it gets biffed.

I will happily re-home it to one of our regular contributing members if anybody sees a use for it.

Going for the cost of postage alone.

gary67
04-01-2012, 06:47 PM
XP password are easily reset using the admin/ safe mode method

Tukapa
04-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Also it appears to have a dicky enter key (which I found by trying to follow gary67 instructions below).

Myth
04-01-2012, 07:48 PM
I will have no issue in wiping the drive and re-installing 98 onto it.

May even pay postage to final recipient