PDA

View Full Version : Broadband issue

Emsley
04-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Our broadand sometimes takes forever, pauses, freezes etc then, clicking refresh, it connects up with whatever easily. Same for streaming videos. We changed to a lesser plan a little while ago and I'm thinking this is the reason but how come a refresh or re entering a page can make it work fine?
Somethimes however, the whole thing just slows down so much we give up and shut down.
I guess I'm intrigued about the ability to make things work ok with refresh. Any comments about this would be appreciated.
Ta
C

Paul.Cov
04-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Oh, sounds horribly reminiscent of a chaepie (slow) Vodafone plan I tried.

It was more worthless than dialup.

Hitting Reload can seem to work because the previous attempts to load the page have resulted in much of the pages data being downloaded into the cache (a special part of the programs re-used memory) As much as 90% of the page may be hidden in the cache, with the last 10% preventing the page from being displayed.
Hitting Relaod (as opposed to Ctrl-Reload) sends the Browser chasing just the missing bits of the page, so can sometimes achieve the result in what seems like very good time.

Ctrl-Reload forces the entire page contents to be re-downloaded, and is only useful if you've struck bad data along the way.

Emsley
04-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks Paul. Makes sense.
chris

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2012, 08:23 AM
I had an issue with that back in the day, was DNS related and it was holding up on loading certain Ads. Could be worth looking in to, it's not difficult to try out something like GoogleDNS or OpenDNS?

bardin
05-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Which ISP are you with, what plan are you on, what area are you in, what router do you have, have you called your ISP helpdesk and had a line test, have you tried a different router? Try those last two if you can, line and router problems could easily be the issue, if not then you'd want to move on to looking at your PC, settings etc.