PDA

View Full Version : Vista reload.

Bryan
04-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Granddaughter's PC has a few issues on the c: 40G drive. It has Vista UPGRADE o/s on it.

The PC also has an unused d: 80G drive. What I would like to do is to reload Vista UPGRADE onto d: and then, when setup, reformat c: . Is that doable?

I think I need to do it this way as the Vista is an upgrade and I don't want to reload XP just to upgrade again!

wainuitech
04-01-2012, 09:12 AM
First thing I would do, is disconnect the smaller drive, and only have the one you want to install Vista onto connected. Then connect the other drive and format it afterwards.

"If" you have both drives attached, Vista "may" try to set up a dual boot XP/Vista.

Installing Vista clean from a upgrade DVD is possible -- Just a bit of mucking about, having to do it twice. ( Have read there are other ways by doing reg hacks, but never tried those)

Personally I have only done this once, and it worked fine.

Have a look at http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68767-clean-install-upgrade-vista.html

Take special note of instructions 5-11.

You may have to phone activate the OS.

Bryan
04-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks for that. I have started the PC as normal. The Vista DVD then takes over and loads giving an option as to what drive I want.

The old system is marked as Windows.old so we are away laughing (I hope).

wainuitech
04-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Windows.old is the original windows installation (saved version) "whats meant to happen" is all the data /programs (if theres any) should be transferred to the new install. Once all is checked to make sure it has come across and working OK, usually you can delete the windows.old folder to gain back some space.

Did you do it via the site linked (new install with upgrade dvd) onto the larger drive ?

Nothing like a fresh install to bring a PC back to its full speed :) Then all the updates, reinstalling programs -- the fun part ;)

Bryan
04-01-2012, 10:09 AM
I booted into the old Vista first. Then loaded up the upgrade and it required the Product key. Next it asked what patition (I selected the d: drive) and away we went. Thanks for the help.

wainuitech
04-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Awhhhh didn't know it would do that still -- Learnt something today :) and all before lunch :drool

Thanks for the update.

linw
04-01-2012, 01:17 PM
But will all drive references now be D: instead of C: when you use it as the primary boot drive??

Bryan
04-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Shouldn't be but if they are I have found in the past that by changing the Master/Slave jumpers, disconnecting the old c: drive and fixing the BIOS to either auto select the remaining drive or manually adjusting the BIOS to select the new drive first, all should work.

linw
04-01-2012, 02:20 PM
But there are thousands of references to the install drive in the registry.