PDA

View Full Version : HP DV6 total rebuild

nedkelly
02-01-2012, 10:18 PM
So my hp DV6 lasted about 3 months on its last install :horrified and I had just got a job so it has just sat in my room waiting for me to fix while I was using my mac.
Finally got the chance today to look at it, stripped the whole thing down and cleaned the heatsink and put new thermal paste on it.
Then wiped the hdd after I copied all the data off yesterday night.
Fresh legal install of Vista on it, drivers installed, Thunderbird, NOD32, UltraVNC, Digsby and Synergy all installed and config files copied over (reason being took me a while to get some of the apps to play nice and work how I wanted).
Any bets on how long before I muck up this install? :devil:D:D

GameJunkie
02-01-2012, 10:32 PM
930 tomorrow morning :D

sahilcc7
02-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Windows installs don't seem to last very long for me, I usually stuff them up all the time playing with partitions.

The Error Guy
02-01-2012, 11:20 PM
I quite liked the bootable HP recover partition on my DV7, the new version was relatively useful.

Unfortunately it got sacrificed trying to format a partition for backtrack (2x 15gb partitions... eney meney miney.... :D) now I have to make my own bootable recovery partition. It will probably be way better. Got to get all the drivers etc to install with windows. Should be fun :) The Unfortunate part was that backtrack doesnt work with the included intel pro set wireless (anger!!) so waste of time on the wireless front.

My expected lifespan is a few months if i'm bored or a year if i'm busy.

I give you a week :devil

nedkelly
04-01-2012, 09:42 AM
I wish I had the recovery partition sometimes but it was removed but the original owner.
Oh well.