PDA

View Full Version : How to test my router - Dynalink rta 1025w

Gedc
02-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Recently upgraded PC to a new chunk of hardware and Win 7. All running well apart from the modem/router keeps hanging and I'm not sure if its co-incidence or something wrong with new setup. Its a dynalink rta1025w - about 3.5 years old. Has been working a dream until now. Runs a variety of PC's, laptops, Xbox's and PS3's via ethernet and wireless no issues. Over last week I've returned to my main machine two or three times a day to find connectivity to the net has gone.
All lights, DSL and PPP are fully lit but LAN 1 ( which is main PC ethernet connection) appears to have a blinking light - not same light as normal useage where the flashing rate varies but a constant blinking - about 2 every second. Switch it off and back on and everything works again ? Top of it is hot but dont know if this is new either as never felt it. Ive read a bit about them overheating but couldn't say if this is the case.

Any ways to check if its the router prior to forking out for a new one etc

Thanks again

Ged

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Is the latest firmware on it?

Safari
02-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Try connecting to one of the other 3 LAN ports to isolate a problem with LAN 1 or are the other 3 already in use.
Also try another ethernet cable

Gedc
02-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Hiya. Thanks for the speedy ( excuse the pun) replies ! Okay..Just did it again, about 15 minutes after me changing Lan1 to Lan4...Also, when I saw the LAN connection with the little yellow triangle appear bottom right of screen I tried to log into the router and it wouldnt let me. After about 2 minutes of nothing happening the power light changed from green to red, DSL light went off, Power light went back to green, DSL light back on to green and everything working again - all without me touching anything. I can now also log back into the router. Any ideas if that automatic reset means much ?

Chilling_Silence
02-01-2012, 11:11 PM
How warm is the router, when you hold your hand around it?

Gedc
03-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Cool all around apart from top where its hot around most of the middle - 3 inches square. Not so much it would burn you but definitely hot to the touch

PeterQ
03-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Would restoring to factory default help?

Chilling_Silence
03-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Try getting a tiny little desk fan for 48 hours and have it blow the cool air over the top of it. Quite possibly overheating. Might be time for a new one ;) That, or look at where it's physically situated, keep it out of direct sunlight etc

Gedc
03-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Yep..Been reading up on that. Figured out it also records errors and these are typical of what it records before it dumps out and hangs before resetting. Does that mean anything to the folks in the know?

2012/01/03 09:58:11 user warn kernel: MASQUERADE: No route: Rusty's brain broke!

2012/01/03 09:59:12 user crit kernel: OAM loopback response not received on VPI/VCI 0/4.

and multiple

kernel: Intrusion -> ....... with heaps more information attached....

Gedc
03-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Okay..So last post from me. It just hung. Checked the logs and a pageful of Kernel: Intrusion alerts prior to it bricking itself. Ran some port checking software and it says everything is stealthed..All IPS for the intrusion alerts are in sweden !

Chilling_Silence
03-01-2012, 11:43 AM
It's probably the chipset playing up and losing sync coz it's overheating.

decibel
03-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Is the latest firmware on it?

Is the firmware up-to-date??