PDA

View Full Version : Webcam Hates T-Stick

B.M.
01-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Hereís an odd one for you guns.

Iím in Aus at the moment with my old Acer Aspire 3000 and have developed a situation where my plug-n-play Webcam and my Telstra Turbo Next G T-Stick refuse to work together.

Both the Camera and the T-Stick work fine individually, but the T-Stick kills the Webcam the moment it is plugged in. If you plug the Webcam in second it doesnít work even though Control Panel assures me it is working correctly. No conflicts are shown in System Hardware either.

Iíve tried changing USB ports and even tried using a Hub but to no avail.

From memory Iím sure these two have worked correctly previously on Skype.

Beats me, any thoughts?

Speedy Gonzales
01-01-2012, 11:03 PM
USB devices dont usually conflict with each other. Well, AFAIK they dont. What error comes up (if any) if you try and use the cam (while the T-stick is plugged in)??

If this is the same thing, I would make sure the T-stick is plugged in properly (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1460008)

wainuitech
01-01-2012, 11:11 PM
If you plug in the Cam first (or T-stick) then plug in the other, do you hear the "plink plonk" of a device disconnecting ?

Also assume its XP ?

It is also possible the power management is causing problems, one device turning off the other.

Try this -- open device manager / Expand out the Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then right-click each USB Root Hub, select properties/Advanced/ Untick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

This page (http://www.pcauthorities.com/drivers/how-to-disable-power-management-on-usb-root-hub/) shows Vista, but the device manger for XP/Vista/W7 more or less the same ways of doing things.

feersumendjinn
01-01-2012, 11:38 PM
I agree with WT, possibly a power supply overload situation

Iíve tried changing USB ports and even tried using a Hub but to no avail.
Was that a powered hub?

B.M.
02-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks Guys. :thumbs:

Starting at the top.

No problem with the connections Speedy. Each Device works individually from any of the three USB Ports. They just wonít play together.

Wainui, Yes XP and Yes I hear the Pling Plong. Turned off the power saving as suggested (Iíd never have found that without help) but alas no different. Bugger!

Feersumendjinn, No, wasnít a powered Hub.

Hereís a couple of screen shots. The problem seems to be that Windows thinks the Camera is working fine when it isnít. The ďTĒ Stick seems to have all the say.

feersumendjinn
02-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Feersumendjinn, No, wasn’t a powered Hub.
Betcha it will work if you do (use a powered hub) :D

(You are drawing too much current from the USB power supply to drive both the webcam and the T-stick (usually limited to 500 milliamps total, of all ports)).

wainuitech
02-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Sounds ( no pun intended) the t-stick is turning off the web cam when plugged in.

Have you tried getting the latest drivers for the webcam & all the windows updates -- they come out with fixes quite often.

What make/model is the actual cam ?

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Does this have a built in cam as well?

kahawai chaser
02-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Maybe check USB specifications (speed) in the BIOS. According to this article (http://support.userful.com/wiki/index.php/How_To/Setting_Up_USB_Devices#Changing_USB_Specification_ in_the_BIOS) (near the end), changing speeds, might allow high powered devices to play, though will be slower. Bandwidth can be read (%) from the USB controllers - right click - properties -advanced, which might be exceeded (if actually being consumed) (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884470) (Microsoft).

This of course means power issues as noted above.

wainuitech
02-01-2012, 07:08 PM
BM, can you try this -- restart the laptop in Safe mode (tapping F8 on startup) Once up and running, plug in your T-Stick -- Assuming its detected, then plug in the Cam -- do both still show as being there.

If so then the problem could be very similar to one I had today -- a IRQ conflict when both devices are plugged in.

kahawai chaser
02-01-2012, 09:07 PM
BM, can you try this -- restart the laptop in Safe mode (tapping F8 on startup) Once up and running, plug in your T-Stick -- Assuming its detected, then plug in the Cam -- do both still show as being there.

If so then the problem could be very similar to one I had today -- a IRQ conflict when both devices are plugged in.

IRQ conflict came to my mind, but are they troublesome to resolve? Did one a few years back. I think I had to update the bios, or enable some of it's settings. Like if a IRQ can't be manually reassigned in device manager from unticking auto settings, to a unique channel, in resources tab, then might it mean it needs be enabled in the bios, with USB legacy support, or maybe the bios needs be updated?

wainuitech
02-01-2012, 09:38 PM
The IRQ's was a "something to try" (safe mode).

I do suspect its more to do with a power related problem somewhere, the two devices together drawing to much, thus one disconnected due to lack of power.

B.M.
03-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Sorry about the delay getting back guyís but I spent yesterday in a rotisserie. 40 flipping degrees in Melbourne.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand.

Speedy: No built in Webcam, hence the need for a USB one.

Wainui: Neither Webcam ot ďTĒ Stick are recognised in Safe Mode.

Webcam is a Digitech CN287 which works perfectly until ďTĒ Stick is plugged in. :groan:

Kahawai Chaser: I had a look in the BIOS and couldnít believe how restricted it was. Apart from changing the Time, Date, Boot Order, and Fan Permanently on or Auto, there is nothing to adjust. Talk about basic.

Feersumendjinn: If I can find an Asbestos Suit (its going to be 40+ degrees again today) Iíll pop out and buy a Powered Hub because I also feel there is a good chance itís a power issue and the Hub will always be useful even if it doesnít fix the issue.

OK, morning tea time here, catch up later. :thumbs:

kahawai chaser
03-01-2012, 02:29 PM
No advanced setting in the BIOS? Then see if peripheral devices menu - should be USB legacy support (often for keyboard), then might need be enabled.

B.M.
16-01-2012, 06:17 PM
An update at last for those interested in this problem.

Well believe it or not but I couldnít purchase a Powered Hub from Dick Smith or Jaycarís over here so had to buy one on E-Bay and wait for delivery.

Got it today and wouldnít you know it? It didnít make a blind bit of difference! :(

As soon as I plug in the T-Stick the camera stops. Iíve tried having the T-Stick on the Powered hub and the Webcam on just another USB port but no go.

Device Manager doesnít show any conflicts and Task Manager shows CPU running about 15% with the odd flick to 100% and half the RAM is available.

Yet the whole system works fine using normal Wireless to Modem which isnít much help if donít have Wireless access.

The T-Stick works fine all the time, it just kills the Webcam.

Got me licked. :confused:

feersumendjinn
16-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Dang!

feersumendjinn
16-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Maybe it's some sort of plug-and-play/mobo/bios/os bug in that laptop allowing the t-stick to steal focus/priority from the camera, could even be a bad driver on the t-stick.
Have you tried these units on another computer and/or operating system?

Snorkbox
17-01-2012, 12:23 AM
I don't think B.M. has access to another Computer at this time.

But possibly I'm wrong.

mikebartnz
17-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Worth looking at but it really shouldn't be a problem in this day and age.

kahawai chaser
22-01-2012, 11:54 AM
You sure there is no USB setting in the bios? What's the name and version? Maybe compare version at the Acer website.

B.M.
22-01-2012, 08:03 PM
You sure there is no USB setting in the bios? What's the name and version? Maybe compare version at the Acer website.

Noooop just had another look and USB is not mentioned, along with many other adjustments usually found. ;) As I said before itís the most basic BIOS Iíve ever encountered.

Anyway, for what itís worth, the computer is an Acer Aspire 3000 with a Pheonix BIOS - 3A18 - Date 4/12/05.

The annoying thing is that although we know the Telstra T-Stick crashes the Webcam, the Webcam shows up as working properly and there are no conflicts in Device Manager.

Beats me. :o

kahawai chaser
23-01-2012, 11:22 AM
According to the Acer website the BIOS for the 3000 is 3A32 (http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=101) (Note: You can download the hardware vendor detection utility at that link) (Some BIOS 3A32 Images (http://www.legitreviews.com/article/611/3/)). The 3A18 seems to be from the C200 Travelmate (http://www.google.co.nz/#hl=en&cp=9&gs_id=1t&xhr=t&q=bios+3a18&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=bios+3a18&aq=0v&aqi=g-v1&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=38c10a09e68d8863&biw=1024&bih=472) (Google search). The chipset should be SiSM760GX. Ram is only 256MB.

B.M.
23-01-2012, 05:44 PM
According to the Acer website the BIOS for the 3000 is 3A32 (http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=101) (Note: You can download the hardware vendor detection utility at that link) (Some BIOS 3A32 Images (http://www.legitreviews.com/article/611/3/)). The 3A18 seems to be from the C200 Travelmate (http://www.google.co.nz/#hl=en&cp=9&gs_id=1t&xhr=t&q=bios+3a18&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=bios+3a18&aq=0v&aqi=g-v1&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=38c10a09e68d8863&biw=1024&bih=472) (Google search). The chipset should be SiSM760GX. Ram is only 256MB.

Well your dead right in what you say, but, Everest & Belarc Advisor beg to differ. :rolleyes:

I guess this is where things turn to custard when you flash the BIOS in an update only to find wrong BIOS. :eek:

Anyway, hereís a couple of screen captures from both Everest and Belarc Advisor. ;)