PDA

View Full Version : Amahi home server

gary67
31-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Does anyone here use Amahi?

I have an old Pentium4 WinXP box that I back up to every other day for data and once a week images, but now want to make it into a true server, I can't afford Win home server which would have been my first choice so I'm looking at Amahi instead as it also has a graphical interface (I don't do Command Line).

So what are peoples thoughts?

wainuitech
31-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Yep got one in the workshop, it works fine, and its running on a old heap of junk with lower specs than you mentioned :)

Going from memory, if you wanted to do backups, you have to use a third party program, something like the Active@ you have. I haven't had a real good play with it, but its capable of doing a lot more than a simple file server I'm using it for.

Heres the basic shared folders and users I created :)

3474 3475

I used the Express CD amahi-express-cd (http://blog.amahi.org/2011/06/06/all-aboard-amahi-express-cd-just-arrived/) and it installed perfectly fine.

Download Page (http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Express_CD)

As that page mentions, theres no desktop at all once installed. Once its installed you go to another PC, open a Browser ( IE works best) enter in the address it gives, and log in via the admin account you create on install, then make up accounts, folders and any other alterations you want. Mine is completely headless, only has two cables, the power and ethernet.

gary67
31-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Project for next week then hopefully

gary67
08-01-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm thinking I will install it from within Fedora (have the latest release here) so that I can have access to it as a desktop if I want to

Chilling_Silence
08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Cool, let us know how you go :)

gary67
08-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Will do at the end of the week hopefully

wainuitech
08-01-2012, 05:33 PM
First time I tried it Via Fedora it became a total mess, Fedora installed OK, but after that it all turned to sh1t :D Amahi said it had installed, but didn't work.

Thats when I used the express CD as previously mentioned, after I wiped the drive again, then no problems.

but now want to make it into a true server,

** The way I look at it, if you have a old PC acting as a server, then use it as a server, ;) not a workstation that stores other data from other PC's.

Mines been running for ages now, apart from when I turned it off the other day but never missed a beat. The user interface over a browser /LAN has ALL the options and settings available.

Mine sits under a workbench and you don't even know its there, running completely headless.:2cents:

gary67
08-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Ok you have convinced me, about to download now

wainuitech
08-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Its totally up to you of course, I dont know how compatible it will be with teh latest Fedora. That may have been my problem, but since I dont know enough about the inner working of linux to repair etc, I'd rather stick with keep it simple. :)

You do have to create a free account, but thats no big deal., and you can turn off different servers if you want:3496

oh great, better post this quick LOL,, UPS's are going nuts on/off/on/off

gary67
08-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Yeah initially it will only be a file server until I get my head around what everything does, I have never used any sort of server before so steep learning curve for me. I'm going to pull out the XP HDD and also unplug my data backup drive and just install on the remaining empty 40Gig drive

gary67
09-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Big learning curve.

Installed the basic so far and have set up me as a user now all I need to do is shut it down and reconnect my other HDD but I can't find out any way to shut it down

wainuitech
09-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Open your browser, log into the server, http://hda Enter admin, and what ever password you made. Top right, Setup.

In Setup, Setting Tab -- on the right is the off button

gary67
09-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks. I did eventually find that, now I'm finding every time I turn off a server service such as Apache and SQL I can't log back in without rebooting which means a trip to the garage

gary67
09-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Reinstalling as since I turned off some services and then couldn't log back in figured that was the best thing to do

fred_fish
09-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Probably because the web interface runs on Apache & MySQL :)

You should be able to ssh to it to stop & restart services (or reboot or install other software or anything else you might want to do).

gary67
09-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Back up and running now will leave those settings alone.

Have mounted the second drive and it now shows in my dashboard now I have to work out how to actually access the data on that drive. Off to trawl the Amahi forums

gary67
10-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Got my Amahi server all up and running, mounted and can now see my backup drive as well as access the data on it. Have run my backups to make sure they are working so all happy so far.

Next thing I want to add some files to the HDA docs folder so that they are accessible to all of us but I also want to back those files up to the backup drive. So if their is any linux gurus anyone know how to do that?

wainuitech
10-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Next thing I want to add some files to the HDA docs folder so that they are accessible to all of us That bits easy, when you make up user accounts for each person, you can set permissions to what ever folder you want. So for the Doc folder, simply give every one permission to it. (exact same way as WHS would)

As for the backups -- cant help with the linux instructions, but how often do you want them backed up, and do you want to have it done automatically ?

gary67
10-01-2012, 03:40 PM
That bits easy, when you make up user accounts for each person, you can set permissions to what ever folder you want. So for the Doc folder, simply give every one permission to it. (exact same way as WHS would)

As for the backups -- cant help with the linux instructions, but how often do you want them backed up, and do you want to have it done automatically ?

Yes got the permissions thing sorted easily enough, I would like it to backup automatically if I can as its the MYOB file for sons business and don't want to trust having only one copy.

One other thing SWMBO's XP computer won't reconnect automatically to the server on a restart of her computer so her scheduled backups won't run until I manually log her back into the server, where do I find the settings to tell it to retain the info?

Looking through the Amahi forum I might not be able to do backups that way, but I can setup an extra task on this Win7 machine using syncback and point it to the folders I want to backup

Agent_24
10-01-2012, 03:54 PM
This looks like some really good software... I like the fact you can also use the machine as a standard desktop which makes it unrestrictive.

gary67
10-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Yes I was going to do that but Wainui convinced me to set it up headless which while it took a while to learn it is going along nicely now

wainuitech
10-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Hate to admit this OOPS!! :o -- But I managed to lock myself out of mine ( web interface) :D I still have access to all the data, via the LAN.

If it were windows based I could get back in within a few seconds, but linux is a little different :D

My XP asked for the password the first time then never again after that. Is it backup software thats asking for passwords again ? I know when I setup Fbackup, you have the option to add in the user name and password.

Re backing up the MYOB -- just tried it with syncback installed on a workshop PC, and set the source from a HDA folder to a folder on another PC, and it copied it fine.

Agent_24
10-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Probably a stupid question, does it handle RAID well?

gary67
10-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Got the MYOB backup sorted using this Win7 desktop and syncback.

Re XP it's XP home and after it's been shutdown it won't pick up the network connection again unl;ess I manually log it into the server whereas on Win7 or Vista when you log in the first time it asks do you want it to remember

gary67
10-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Probably a stupid question, does it handle RAID well?

It's says it does but I'm not using RAID

wainuitech
10-01-2012, 04:43 PM
About the desktop version, there is a way to get it apparently, with a few commands ( as listed on their site) -- Since dummy here went and stuffed something :D, may reinstall it and see if the desktop will load in as easy as they say. Only takes a short while to install, so its not to bad time wise to start again if it turns pear shaped.

fred_fish
10-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Got the MYOB backup sorted using this Win7 desktop and syncback.

Re XP it's XP home and after it's been shutdown it won't pick up the network connection again unl;ess I manually log it into the server whereas on Win7 or Vista when you log in the first time it asks do you want it to remember
If you map a network drive it will reconnect on startup.

gary67
10-01-2012, 06:13 PM
If you map a network drive it will reconnect on startup.

I knew I was missing a step thanks. I just couldn't remember what it was

Chilling_Silence
11-01-2012, 07:28 AM
It's not hard to overwrite the password if you have root access, or boot from a LiveCD.

Basically if you boot from a LiveCD, run 'passwd' on your LiveCD user account. Then, cat /etc/shadow and make note of the line, it'll look like this:
root:$6$TXp6A3wz$W7M4aru9kTRguCBxheIbaK.t1/Fo2.rQZAjrSmeyG.lGQD3tlemCLztmN.lyAqkOzROlrUtZzVv9 M6cIzqupN.:15062:0:::::
aphrodit3:$6$gQZTP31H$M4v1H/oXHv0zq230qWO.23FQDKpqUF0DBauA56qBeg/4uP9D8I/nKzhopUplVURZPzNpmH0EGewv5A1AmRKrY1:15084:0:99999: 7:::

Basically you want to copy the details of the user you've just modified from your Live CD (It may or may not be root) and then overwrite that particular part in /etc/shadow on your own Amahi system. Ideally do it with the root user, coz then you'll have root back.
Just be careful with the parts after the : coz thats extra details about the user that you ideally shouldn't overwrite :)

gary67
12-01-2012, 01:20 PM
I have DHCP turned off on the server as it's handled by the router just fine

My Windows computers are part of a workgroup with a unique name that I chose. The server is set up as the default home.com.

My windows computers can access the server but I have to go through the network tab to access my files, for some reason the shortcuts don't connect properly directly.

Do I need to change the workgroup on the server and if so how?

Or am I better to just change the workgroup name on the PC's total of 9 would need doing and if so what would I use?

I have asked this on the Amahi forum but thought I might get a quicker reply here

Chilling_Silence
12-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Workgroup is irrelevant, use \\servername\sharename for your links and it should work.

Can you give us an example of what you're trying to shortcut to, and how you're creating the shortcut, and what the 'path' of the shortcut is?

gary67
12-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Ah thanks for that, think I have it now, it's mainly to a particular file associated with MYOB, made a new link and it works

gary67
12-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Just tested the new link, didn't realise that I could pin the direct link to the existing link on the taskbar and then have a right click option from the taskbar link to my file. I'm beginning to really like this server now