PDA

View Full Version : New broadband connection problem

linw
31-12-2011, 08:58 AM
I hate new connections - many seem to go wrong. At wife's sisters for a few days in Turangi and we decided to finally ditch dial-up and get her on to broadband (whew!). Rang Telecom on Tues afternoon and it was done by Thursday late afternoon. Great, I thought, as we were due to go back home on Fri morning. I would get it all sorted Thurs night.

Put a new Thomson TC wireless (sis-in-law had bought a Boxing Day sale laptop for $400!!) on the line and it didn't even try to get an ADSL link. No flashing light - nada. Tried another jack with another cable and no phones on line - same result. Damn, faulty brand new modem??

Rang Telecom and they said it all looked OK from their end. Made an appointment for a tech to come out 4th Jan.

Brought modem home yesterday and put it on my line. Hooked up perfectly fine.

Any one know what would stop a modem from even trying to negotiate an ADSL link?

wainuitech
31-12-2011, 09:20 AM
May or may not be the problem ------ Had telecom say its all connected previously and it actually wasn't. Depends sometimes on who you actually get to speak to. The accounts may be shown as being OK, but someone didn't actually activate the ADSL on the line.

Department #1 sorts out the account, Department #2 actually activates the line.

Is the dial up still working ?

8ftmetalhaed
31-12-2011, 10:15 AM
I had the issue where orcon connected me to the wrong piece of copper, so I was without internet for like two weeks despite organising the shift three weeks prior to moving. The previous tennants left their connection active so they thought to connect to the wrong connection. and you would not believe how many hoops i had to jump through to get it sorted. equally so sister got connected to the wrong piece of copper after signing up for genius. they connected a house two streets away instead.

linw
31-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks for replies, guys. Possible that the line is not activated. I am interested to find out the mechanism that would stop the modem from actually trying to negotiate. Maybe it 'sniffs' the line to see whether to start negotiating??

Dial up was fine at over 53 kbps.

Just hope the problem isn't fixed before the tech arrives so sis-in-law doesn't get charged $83 when the tech finds no problem! Guess I will have to get her to connect the modem before tech arrives to check this.

Cheers.

wainuitech
31-12-2011, 01:07 PM
What I have done in the past, is when talking to the help desk, even though they say its working actually ask to specifically check to make sure the connection is activated on the line ph number xxxxx (what ever it is), as the modem works fine on a known good line, and a known good working modem doesn't work on the line in question.

Sometimes they say yes it is - then as if by magic a few minutes later everything suddenly lights up and works :rolleyes:

Agent_24
31-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Yeah probably haven't connected you up properly - I once lost all ADSL because someone on my street just signed up, they gave them my phone line with ADSL enabled and I got theirs with nothing whatsoever. I also got their phone number, until Telecom fixed it.

I think a router will not attempt connection when it gets no ADSL 'carrier' signal, so either you're not actually connected or there is some big screwup with your wiring\filters or splitter.

pctek
31-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Maybe it 'sniffs' the line.

You could put it like that. It sure knows if broadband is there or not. And I'd say it's not, whatever the helpdesk said.

linw
01-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Yes, makes sense that the modem detects no BB carrier so doesn't attempt to negotiate.

Will try to get sis-in-law to have a go at the help desk but she is not the best able to attack them on techo matters!!

linw
05-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Modem arrived back to sis-in-law today. She hooked it up and it worked straight off. So much for the earlier assurance that it was fine 'their' end. Grrrr.

Bad news is that she loses the wireless signal in her lounge where she wants it!! Bloody wireless. Anyway, we will get the modem moved then she can ditch the desktop at the far end of the house. Would have been far easier when I was on site, though. I don't find it much fun trying to direct unsophisticated users over the phone!!

Agent_24
05-01-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't find it much fun trying to direct unsophisticated users over the phone!!

Does anyone? :lol:

pctek
05-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Does anyone? :lol:
I do.
I hate the ones who are supposed to know what they're doing and don't.

linw
06-01-2012, 08:27 AM
My sis-in-law would like your telephone no.!!! I'll keep it for later use, too:D

But good on you for your patience. This case wasn't helped by her having to use the unfamiliar touchpad for cursor control. Hate the darn things myself but my Boxing Day special HP dm1 is helping me with the practice!