PDA

View Full Version : Matching the front side power cable to a case and motherboard

Darkininc
30-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I have an Acer case which housed an AM2+ motherboard - which died recently.

Rebuilt with a new power supply, new video card, new RAM, new AM3+ cpu and a Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P motherboard.

Put it all together to find that the case power cable - the one that goes from the on-off/reset/HDD LED etc - to the motherboard - doesn't fit the new motherboard socket. Result - PC does not power up. At all.*

So the obvious answer seems to be a new case - I've Googled and scanned various fora but have yet to find anything that suggests what case would be a good match (the in built power cable will have a plug on it that fits the motherboard on-off/reset/HDD LED etc power socket).

My immediate thought is that if I have a Gigabyte motherboard, a Gigabyte case should connect to it... http://www.atech.co.nz/p.aspx?104682
Or is that just a crazy assumption?

*Checked everything else - especially the obvious - the mobo has spacers installed and is otherwise correctly connected. The only thing that doesn't fit the motherboard sockets is the on off switch cable group.

dugimodo
30-12-2011, 10:55 PM
If it's a 3 pin connector you can just cut it and plug it in 1 pin at a time, most cases now use 2 single pin plugs so they will fit any motherboard as some use 2pin and some use 3 pin.
You can probably get the connectors and attach them to your case wiring if that's something you'd want to do.

If it's something unique to Acer then any new case will be fine.

If you want to test to see if it's working you just need to short the 2 power switch pins on the motherboard together for a moment to power it up, a small screwdriver works just take care.

Darkininc
30-12-2011, 11:07 PM
If it's a 3 pin connector you can just cut it and plug it in 1 pin at a time, most cases now use 2 single pin plugs so they will fit any motherboard as some use 2pin and some use 3 pin.

The current cabal of cables totals 8 (I've carefully extracted them from the plastic end with their terminals intact). Not sure what half of them are connecting to.

You can probably get the connectors and attach them to your case wiring if that's something you'd want to do.

I did consider that - but short of taking the motherboard out and going to Dick Smith tomorrow - it seems like a bit of a hassle.

If it's something unique to Acer then any new case will be fine.

It may well be. It's an Acer branded case, and it's a bit of a pain in the butt to actually do anything with.

If you want to test to see if it's working you just need to short the 2 power switch pins on the motherboard together for a moment to power it up, a small screwdriver works just take care.

Thanks, that's a good tip, I'll opt for the rubber handled screwdriver for this job :)

mikebartnz
30-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Unless you really want to get a new case you could get something like this (http://www.mindkits.co.nz/store/cables-and-wire/jumper-wires-premium-6-m-f-pack-of-10) from Mindkits. I am assuming I understand your problem properly.

wainuitech
30-12-2011, 11:10 PM
You dont need a new case.

Had this happen plenty of times, name brand PC's can be a PITA. What you need to do first, as dugimodo suggested is short the power pins with a screwdriver, it should fire up.

Assuming it does then all you need is some other connectors, either from a old dead PC or as someone who has some laying about. Then follow the wires back to the appropriate switches/led's and wire them up as needed.

There normally only 8 wires. PWR Switch +& -, HDD LED + & -, Reset + & -, power LED +&-

The wires that go into the existing header are easy to remove, simply get a pin or needle, lift up the thin locking tab, and the wire pulls cleanly out with the metal connector attached.

Just a word of warning - Some of the name brand manufactures also wire the front USB ports as non standard on their cases, so while the plugs do attach to the board OK, the polarity is all wrong, +'ve to -'ve etc, = BANG/Phffffftt -- blown USB device or motherboard. You need to check they are correct.

Darkininc
30-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Unless you really want to get a new case you could get something like this (http://www.mindkits.co.nz/store/cables-and-wire/jumper-wires-premium-6-m-f-pack-of-10) from Mindkits. I am assuming I understand your problem properly.

Thanks Mike, that would be a possible solution. Just have to investigate how the cables terminate at the case end (I think the might be soldered to the various LED terminals and on-off/reset switch.

pctek
31-12-2011, 07:50 AM
I'd just change the case - I doubt it's pretty anyway. Most cases, except things like the "brand" ones, are standard.

PENTIUM
31-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I am inclined to agree with pctek, particularily after warning from wainui about other connection possible complications. I have a Dell chassis with their dedicated pinouts on the bench right now. About $60 for an acceptable Minitower enclosure. [e.g. Gigabyte GZ-M2]. -Unless you know a tekkie who will sort out the connections safely, and for less than $60.