PDA

View Full Version : HD image of Win XP

han308
30-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Hi people,

I have just got an old Dell workstation PC which has a clean install of Win XP on a 80Gig Hard drive. I'd like to replace that with a 320 Gig drive I have.

Whats the easiest way to 'image' the clean install from the 80Gig onto the 320 Gig drive so is bootable with all the files and drivers installed?

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Vic.
:cool:

wainuitech
30-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Easiest way is to attach the new blank drive as a slave drive, then boot from a bootable CD to clone the old drive to new. Once cloned with the computer turned off, plug in the new drive in place of the old, and boot as per normal.

There are several good free cloning programs, that can do the job.

what brands are the hard Drives ? both Seagate and western digital you can download free bootable CD's for the job. ??

Seagate has discwizard (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard) - there is also a manual in PDF as to "how to do it"

Western Digital has Drive Clone (http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119).

As long as one of the drives is either a Segate or WD, you can use appropriate name software, they dont have to be both the same brand.

han308
30-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks! they are both WD I believe, and this drive clone sounds exactly what i need.
Cheers,
Vic.

jxer4567
30-12-2011, 04:58 PM
i tried with no luck with them i reccomend todo backup by easus lot beta cause just these last three days i have been doing it thats y i used todo bakup in the end could help if all else fails

wainuitech
30-12-2011, 05:59 PM
From experience, and I do these sorts of things daily in my business, have done so for years, todo backup has a very high failure rate.

Personally I use better software then the acronis, but for a one of job its not worth paying for software.

gary67
30-12-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm with Wainui on this one both seagates and WD's software will do fine for a one off have used both, but now use the one Wainui recommends as I needed scheduled backups

jxer4567
01-01-2012, 08:11 PM
EaseUS Todo Backup Free 3.5 is what ive used recently it worked fine its nt acronis nd this was free 2 use

wainuitech
01-01-2012, 09:11 PM
EaseUS Todo Backup Free 3.5 is what ive used recently it worked fine its nt acronis nd this was free 2 use

Have you actually tried to put a restore backup with Todo ??

Many people who use the program get a shock when the backup doesn't actually restore. There are several here that have had that exact thing happen -- Looks like it backs up OK, says its backed up OK, then when actually required, or tested sometimes it has failed.

jxer4567
04-01-2012, 12:11 PM
no i clone from 1 hdd to the other so i cloned it from 40gb hdd to 111gb hdd
i tried those seagate and maxtor one they didnt work i spent 3 days doing my pc cloning cause i culdnt find rite program so i used this one nd it worked

wainuitech
04-01-2012, 12:20 PM
No problems if it works, Sometimes it doesn't.

The Seagate and WD ones are actually cut down versions of Acronis true image licensed to the respective companies.