PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

jontee
28-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Why? Because it cost $400.00, cheap I thought, Asus E53u. (Win 7 something)
1-Any way do I burn a DVD back up or just use the f9 in case of a crash?
2-Do I load Office, Scan maker, ECT, B4 making a DVD if that is the correct option?
3-Do I use Windows Essentials (that it is prompting me to use) or just what I use now Avast + Spy ware Terminator?
I think that is about it for the moment or if there is any thing else I should do then please tell me as this is the first new lap-top so even getting it to go first up was a bit of a mission for this old fart.
Thanks in advance
Cheers.

wainuitech
28-12-2011, 10:14 PM
1. Make a backup DVD/ Image NOW -- using the f9 option is OK but if the HDD fails, the backup partition goes bye byes with it.

2. New Laptops "should" come with Office 2010 pre installed. When you first start it up (office) you are given the option of entering in a product key for the version you have purchased, or you can use the FREE starter edition.
The Starter edition is fully active, no time limts etc, has a MS advertising banner down the right hand side, and a couple of functions missing in the Word and excel which is all it has ( Microsoft+Office+2010+Starter (http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5613&review=Microsoft+Office+2010+Starter+Edition+What+ You+Need+to+Know) - Review.
As for Scan maker, ECT - depends on if you are going to use them or not.

3. Personally, use Windows security Essentials, its better than avast, still free, and use a couple of antispyware programs. ( some in my sig below)

jontee
29-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Thank you thank you will go buy some dvd's and get it done this afternoon,
Cheers