PDA

View Full Version : Recording Sky on PC - Where to start

olympus11
28-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Hello

I am wanting to know whether it is possible to record MYSKY onto a computer. I have a PC with Windows 7 and want to know whether this is able to be achieved.

I don't really know where to start and would appreciate any assistance.

I realise I need a tv tuner to start but are not sure what cables I will need to connect to the MYSKY decoder or TV.

If you are able to help I would apprecaite or if you can suggest who I could talk to about this.

I am wanting to set up to record tv straight to my PC.

Thanks for your help.

mikebartnz
28-12-2011, 09:16 PM
All you probably need is something to capture HDMI from the MySky recorder.

psycik
28-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Its not as easy as it used to be.

In the old days you got an analogue tuner (Hauppauge PVR150 or the similar - needs to do hardware based mpeg2 encoding) and take a feed from the sky box to the tuner. Then using a device called an IR blaster, the computer tells the sky box to change channel just before a recording is to start.

This method is less possible now as most recording software (Windows 7 MCE encluded) does not support analogue tuners any more.

Or, get a DVB-S cards, a card reader, make sure you had the right gold (I think - not blue) sky subscription card, and using gbpvr or media portal decode the sky signal. It's breaking terms and conditions, but not illegal as you're just using your subscription card in a non sanctioned device.

The 2nd method does work, but can be fairly difficult to get running and keep running. And about once a month you need to transfer your subscription card back into your sky box for an hour or so to keep it alive.

I don't believe there is any device that will allow you to record off hdmi - a HDPVR from hauppauge will record component or maybe unprotected HDMI (without hdcp) but then you'd need an hdcp stripper (about $200USD) and the legallity is questionable.

Nomad
29-12-2011, 09:00 AM
I *think* tv is scrabbled if you don't have a Sky Customer card in your Sky deck.

Yeah as psycik said once upon a time there were those cards that could grab analogue Sky thou never tried myself.

To grab Sky, the only way I know is maybe using a capture card with "video in and audio in" and record it that way. We for eg.. just use a VCR.

Zippity
29-12-2011, 09:27 AM
I record Sky to my PC via the MySky Box - DVD Recorder - RCA cable - WinFast Capture Card

Of course the TV in the lounge has to be set up on the channel I am wanting to record :)

I edit and burn my DVDs using TMPGEnc DVD Author - DVD Shrink - and DVDFab 8

I don't believe that it is possible to record in HDMI

dugimodo
29-12-2011, 07:25 PM
They don't really want you to so it may not be easy to find a simple solution, certainly not a PC based PVR you can set and forget. A combination of methods mentioned already might work, feed the Sky signal Via Component or compostie video into a capture device and use an IR blaster to change channels. It would require that the software supported both recording from video in and changing channels with the IR blaster.

Annother possibilty, contact sky and ask if they have a solution for watching Sky on a PC. If they do you can record anything you can watch with the right software.

momona
29-12-2011, 07:32 PM
I record Sky to my PC via the MySky Box - DVD Recorder - RCA cable - WinFast Capture Card

Of course the TV in the lounge has to be set up on the channel I am wanting to record :)

I edit and burn my DVDs using TMPGEnc DVD Author - DVD Shrink - and DVDFab 8

I don't believe that it is possible to record in HDMI

have a try with that,i will edit and burn my
dvd monitor (http://www.12vcity.com/8-wholesale-car-electronics-stand-alone-rearview-monitors)

mikebartnz
29-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Post #7 Reported.

BBCmicro
29-12-2011, 08:10 PM
I record to MySky (actually the Telstra cable equivalent called T-box) then every now and then replay some of them and capture in analogue. Rather like Zippity except I use RGB instead of composite. (actually YPbPr?? instead of RGB)

Having done it for more than a year I have learned a few things including

- S-video would probably be acceptable quality rather than RGB. I don't know whether MySky has an S-video output.

- Telstra does have some programmes protected by Macrovision but not many. I have not been affected by this personally but a friend complained about MySky. It might only apply to so-called "adult" type programmes. I think it depends on the implementation of the T-box or MySky box rather than on what comes out of Sky's studio. Macrovision is used on analogue outputs to kill recording (provided the capture device respects Macrovision)

- I use MPEG StreamClip to remove ads and join segments together. Streamclip does this without re-encoding. Needs a fast computer

- I use XmediaRecode to deinterlace, set aspect ratio, crop 2 raggedy lines from the top of the picture, and encode to x264 + AAC in MP4

(using Win7pro64, i5-2500k at 4.1 GHz)

BBCmicro
29-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Post #7 Reported.
Ah ha. I see...

CYaBro
30-12-2011, 12:11 AM
You can go the pc Pvr route, like I have, but it's not an easy road and I still have issues now and then.
Basically you need dvb-s tuners in your pc and a smart card reader to put your sky card into.
Only certain cards will work, which are the blue ones supplied with all mysky boxes, but you may be lucky and have one in a normal sky box.
Then you need the right software on your pc to talk to the smart card reader, to get the decryption keys from your sky card, some intermediate software that takes the keys from the smart card reader software and decrypts the video signal and passes it on to your media centre software do that it can play it back or record it.
So lots of places that need to be configured correctly and where things can go wrong.