PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard confusion and graohics card

user123
28-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Hi everyone, I just want to ask some more questions about the new computer I'm getting.

1) I haven't decided on a motherboard yet, I was wondering which one of these (http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?l=s80541685&cols=&o=lager_inkmoms#rparams=l=s80541970) will suit my computer specs?
My computer specs (my budget is $1450):
I need to have a computer ready to go CrossFireX, as I might be buying two graphics cards in the future.
CPU: Intel i5-2500k 3.3ghz
RAM: 4x 4GB DDR3-1333
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD6870 1GB GDDR5
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
Optical: LiteOn iHAS324
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750W
Case: Awyun A1-BJ Black

2) Is the Graphics good for CrossFireX? What about the PSU?
3) I have heard that you can overclock the i5-2500k to 5ghz, is it possible? Which motherboard will i need?
4) Is there a huge difference with DDR3-1333 and other DDR3-xxxx RAM?

Thanks guys

jxer4567
29-12-2011, 10:51 AM
it will do crossfire quite well but i would reccomend getting a 6950 then a second one later on

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2011, 12:52 PM
For the *minor* improvement over the 6870 vs the $100-odd cost-difference, I'd suggest sticking with the 6870 :)

You won't need to overclock the CPU
The difference in RAM is negligible
Look at getting a SSD if you can afford it. In fact I'd go for a 90GB SSD over getting 2x graphics cards straight off the bat. It'll be a *massive* performance gain, especially in game load-times.

dugimodo
29-12-2011, 07:10 PM
That's a big list of motherboards, generally the Hxx boards are cheap desktop boards and not designed for dual graphics solutions. If you really want to go X-fire then you need to go for a P67 or Z68 based board. Myself I prefer ASUS as I've had good luck with them, Gigabyte is also a good option.

Just a few of my personal opinions
1. 8Gb is enough for gaming, but RAM is cheap and maybe you'll need it one day if you want to stick to 16
2. X-fire is more trouble than it's worth, and buying one now and another later often ends up never happening. A midrange card now will play anything and another next model midrange card in a year or two will still play anything and cost no more than upgrading to X-fire, plus you can sell the old card.
3. I like SSD's, I have one. But to be honest the improvement to gaming is barely noticable. Sure they launch a little quicker but once started you generally won't notice any difference.
4. If you decide to avoid X-fire you can go for a cheaper motherboard and PSU and spend the extra on a better graphics card....

I went for SLI and learnt a few hard lessons. Yes 2 x GTX460's is fantastic at gaming, when the game supports it. But you have to worry about heat, motherboard design, card spacing, card design (rear or internal venting), require a bigger PSU, leave little to no space for other expansion cards (TV tuner, Raid controller, etc). I had stability issues, games that don't play nice with SLI, heat problems due to my motherboard spacing. Ended up replacing my motherboard which led to a system upgrade all because the cards overheated on my old motherboard Jammed up next to each other.

I like building PC's and kinda wanted to so it's not all bad, but now I'm back to a single card (GTX580 :)) and won't go for dual again. The truth is my old system with my new graphics card would have been Just as good for games 99% of the time and saved me a fortune (had an i7 920 on an ASUS mb with 6Gb triple channel RAM, now have what's in my sig).

anyway a bit long winded sorry, that's my thoughts on the matter.

user123
29-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys, you've all been really helpful. I have heard that SSD mainly improves Windows bootup and shutdown speeds. What SSD would you recommend?
If I didn't go CrossFireX or SLI, what would the maximum PSU will I need?
Thanks!

Chilling_Silence
29-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah dugimodo is right, it doesn't improve the actual FPS of a game, but avoids the massive load times. I run Assassins Creed: Brotherhood on *max* detail settings at Full HD on my HD6870 and in between areas the game basically has barely faded in to the load screen when it already starts fading it back out again. Previously I could happily sit at that screen for anywhere from 5-10 seconds. I absolutely *love* it!!!

It's still worth keeping a solid PSU, like the Corsair 600w I just picked up for $99 isn't bad :D http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=PSUCOR1600

I've never done SLI / Crossfire so can't really comment but my mate had a similar experience with it to dugimodo, he built his first system with that in mind but never did, so the next system he bought two mid-high range cards, but found it was more hassle / money than it's worth (Though he had some disposable income at that time) and for his latest system has stuck with a single high-end card. He says there's less bragging rights but it's more functional and cost a lot less :)

jxer4567
30-12-2011, 05:05 PM
crucial kingston corsair and intel are great ssds

icow
30-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Get an OCZ SSD. Seems to be best value for money.

Chilling_Silence
30-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Yeah apparently they're not quite as reliable as the Samsungs (I have an OCZ SSD, but it's yet to fail, just talkin to the guy at PBTech who handles their returns), the Samsungs are apparently the best.