PDA

View Full Version : To go naked or not?

minster
28-12-2011, 11:05 AM
As per previous posts,
I live in Tokoroa, South Waikato.
Use a NetCom ADSL2+ n300 wireless router that is going well and giving me DL speed about 11.50 Mbps fairly consistently.
At the moment I am on an Explorer 20GB plan from Telecom.
Don't make very many toll calls at all (1 or 3 a year)

Looking seriously at trying to save money by going naked with Genius plan from Orcon which gives 30GB data for $75 plus an orcon phone if I choose that option?
What I am unsure of is the plus's or minus's with naked vs normal wireless/cable.
Is the speed good?
Is it reliable?
Are Orcon reliable?
And are there hidden drawbacks to this move?

Any help in this respect would be appreciated Thank's ...

Snorkbox
28-12-2011, 12:17 PM
My speeds below.

I'm also in Tokoroa.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1672166635.png

I know someone else in Tokoroa and he's not too happy with Orcon at the moment. I have not yet checked out his setup as he's away currently.

gary67
28-12-2011, 12:34 PM
We have been on naked DSL with Xnet for nearly 2 years now and so far have had no problems at all I think maybe 2 dropouts in all that time, speed is average no better and no worse than anyone else I know. We got the Xnet supplied router as it can have our normal phone plugged into it, only thing I found was sometimes if moving large amounts of data around the call quality dropped but Chill helped me solve that at the tme

Chilling_Silence
28-12-2011, 01:42 PM
only thing I found was sometimes if moving large amounts of data around the call quality dropped but Chill helped me solve that at the tme

I did?

EDIT: Oh yeah in answer to the first question:
Basically if your internet is down, so is your phone line. If your internet is reliable (That's a nice router you've got there which will go a LONG way towards keeping it reliable and online) then you should be fine and have no issues.
However if somebody absolutely hammers YouTube and maxes out your interwebz0rs then it may adversely affect your call quality. QoS helps, lots! It prioritizes VoIP over everything else (By giving the likes of YouTube a lower priority to your available bandwidth)

minster
28-12-2011, 02:34 PM
(That's a nice router you've got there which will go a LONG way towards keeping it reliable and online) then you should be fine and have no issues.
)

Unfortunately, the move to Orcon naked, means using their router so the new NetCom may just be on trademe lol

gary67
28-12-2011, 03:01 PM
I did?

EDIT: Oh yeah in answer to the first question:
Basically if your internet is down, so is your phone line. If your internet is reliable (That's a nice router you've got there which will go a LONG way towards keeping it reliable and online) then you should be fine and have no issues.
However if somebody absolutely hammers YouTube and maxes out your interwebz0rs then it may adversely affect your call quality. QoS helps, lots! It prioritizes VoIP over everything else (By giving the likes of YouTube a lower priority to your available bandwidth)

yes you did. You told me to turn on QoS which did the trick, it was at least 18 months ago though so I forgive you your poor memory

Chilling_Silence
28-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Thats OK, I'd presume theirs will do QoS. It'd be the most blatant oversight if it doesn't...

@gary67, thanks, I can barely recall last week let alone 18 months ago. Still, glad it's worked for you :D