PDA

View Full Version : Ovens

Mike
28-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Got a new wall oven. Old one was hard-wired in, new one has a 3-pin plug.

So, does the new one need the plug removed and be hard-wired in? Or a 3-pin socket installed on the old cable into the wall behind the oven? I assume the cable into the back of old oven is the same cable that would take a 3-pin socket?

How much should this cost to get done? I'm not going to do it myself, just want to know what I need to get done before I find someone to do it (will probably need to wait until new year I guess to get someone available)

Cheers,
Mike.

Bobh
28-12-2011, 10:49 AM
You would require an electrician to remove the hard wiring from the old oven. It is not a job that I would even dream of tackling. You could be looking at a $40 van fee plus whatever their hourly rate is. This is not a huge job so should not cost too much.

pctek
28-12-2011, 11:06 AM
So, does the new one need the plug removed and be hard-wired in? Or a 3-pin socket installed on the old cable into the wall behind the oven?

Either.

somebody
28-12-2011, 11:09 AM
I don't think you're allowed to have them hard-wired in any more; but best to check with an electrician.

pine-o-cleen
28-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Should only cost you whatever their minimum charge is. Would take them all of 20 minutes to complete.

SP8's
28-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Think I'm with somebody on this one ... newer ovens have to be switched and plugged. Wouldn't have a clue about cost ... sorry ... but it would pay to shop around.

Mike
28-12-2011, 11:53 AM
So all I need is for a new switch/socket to be installed on the old cable and attached to the wall behind oven?

Mike.

somebody
28-12-2011, 11:59 AM
So all I need is for a new switch/socket to be installed on the old cable and attached to the wall behind oven?

Mike.

Yes. Assuming the existing cabling is in good condition and meets legal requirements.

psycik
28-12-2011, 01:48 PM
We just bought a new wall oven today as well. But just paid for them to deliver and change it over and remove the old one. They'll do it for between $100 and $150.

Mike
29-12-2011, 08:11 AM
We just bought a new wall oven today as well. But just paid for them to deliver and change it over and remove the old one. They'll do it for between $100 and $150.thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately that isn't an option for us

cheers,
Mike.

SP8's
29-12-2011, 08:46 AM

Mike.

Yes ... but it's a BIG 3 pin plug ... not your normal 10amp ... think they're rated at 30amp (this may only be required for a conventional oven cook-top arrangement.

Just read your first post again ... has your oven got a standard 3 pin plug on it ??? Just checked my wall oven and it's 2500w max ... about the same as a 3 bar heater ... if it does have a standard plug, shouldn't cost that much if the wiring is OK.

Trev
29-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Got a new stove 2 years ago. The old one was hard wired in. The new one was hard wired in and was done by the delivery person. Got it from Noels.
:)

Mike
29-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Yes ... but it's a BIG 3 pin plug ... not your normal 10amp ... think they're rated at 30amp (this may only be required for a conventional oven cook-top arrangement.

Just read your first post again ... has your oven got a standard 3 pin plug on it ??? Just checked my wall oven and it's 2500w max ... about the same as a 3 bar heater ... if it does have a standard plug, shouldn't cost that much if the wiring is OK.No, its a standard 3 pin plug on it (well it looks standard to me). Been quoted $100 to put in a wall socket for it... sounds a bit steep to me?

Mike.

Jester
29-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Mike, $100 is about right. It's not your standard 3 pin 240 volt socket, and from memory it's the current electrical standard that new ovens are connected by a plug - that is protected at the mains board by a fuse. The old ovens used to have fuses onboard. You may have to see whether you need work on the fuseboard if not already made clear enough to you by the sparky.

Retailers usually sort this out for you and include or add the cost to your purchase - or put you in touch with an electrician.

Also, being a wall oven make sure that the venting and airgaps around the sides is suitable. I've dealt with fires that occurred as a result of a new oven being fitted into an existing space that was not designed for that particular oven. Look at the installation instructions and see if your cavity meets the requirements.

somebody
30-12-2011, 12:57 PM
$100 sounds about right.

BBCmicro
30-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Glad to see you're getting a professional.

I got the biggest electrical shock of my electrical career uninstalling a wired-in oven. I turned off the switch at the wall and started to unwire it. Then I said to myself 'No. To be safe I should pull out the fuse.' I went to the switchboard but couldn't see which fuse was the one. So I went back inside and plugged a reading light into the stove, turned on the switch, made sure the light was going, and then pulled out the fuse that turned the light off. But I forgot to switch it off again at the wall. I started unwiring it and got a huge shock... Turned out the stove and the oven were on separate phases

Alex B
30-12-2011, 03:34 PM
No, its a standard 3 pin plug on it (well it looks standard to me). Been quoted $100 to put in a wall socket for it... sounds a bit steep to me?

Mike.

While it looks standard, i'm betting the earth pin is too big to go into a normal socket - meaning its a 15A plug.

dugimodo
30-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Shouldn't be much, you want the plug anyway it's much more convenient and means if you replace it again you can just plug the next one in.

You also need to check if the old stove was single or dual phase wired and match it with the new one. It's just a link that needs to be installed or removed.
I would expect it to cost around $100-200 at most but it is a guess.

Cicero
30-12-2011, 06:15 PM

Mike.

The plug is a special heavy duty one, certainly need an electrician or insurance is out the window.

Mike
31-12-2011, 08:17 AM

Just read your first post again ... has your oven got a standard 3 pin plug on it ??? Just checked my wall oven and it's 2500w max ... about the same as a 3 bar heater ... if it does have a standard plug, shouldn't cost that much if the wiring is OK.

While it looks standard, i'm betting the earth pin is too big to go into a normal socket - meaning its a 15A plug.The plug is stamped 10A/250V.

Cheers,
Mike.

decibel
31-12-2011, 04:45 PM
The plug is stamped 10A/250V.

For an oven ??

Yes, you definitely need a sparkie.

Mike
31-12-2011, 05:22 PM
For an oven ??Yes, its on the plug attached to the oven.

Mike.