PDA

View Full Version : Stratos has gone. TV7 next.

tut
27-12-2011, 02:22 PM
The dumbing down of New Zealand is continuing.

icow
27-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Bet they will never ditch the maori channel. That would be far to racist.

Lawrence
27-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Wonder where it went too,use to watch Al Jazeera in the mornings instead of the crap breakfast programs on TV1/3

Cato
27-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Was there anything worth watching on TV7 or Stratos?
I can't say I have watched either...

WalOne
27-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Bet they will never ditch the maori channel. That would be far too racist.

Wonder where it went to,use to watch Al Jazeera in the mornings instead of the crap breakfast programs on TV1/3

Corrected, guys. :D

prefect
27-12-2011, 05:32 PM

Corrected, guys. :D
Triangle has most of the programs Stratos had. But its analogue UHF.
You would be right about moaris tv its a sacred cow.

paulw
27-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Triangle is AKL based so good luck south of the Bombay Hills. Triangle seems to be the only analog channel that transmits in 16x9..

Bobh
27-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Stratos has disappeared from my freeview satellite. All I get is a blank screen. :waughh:

Snorkbox
27-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Well you will get channel 9 from Feb 1st. :)

Roscoe
27-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Was there anything worth watching on TV7 or Stratos?
I can't say I have watched either...

There are quite a few BBC programmes which are most interesting. Just watched "Wonders of the Universe" which is on each Tuesday night on TV7. There is a good programme most nights. Well worth watching. I will be very disappointed when it shuts down.

Have not watched much of Stratos so can't comment on that.

Quite agree with you, tut, the dumbing down of NZ continues.

Icow: You are right, they will not shut down the maori channel. No money for TV7 but plenty of money for a racist channel that exists for one small minority. Does not make much sense.

Cicero
27-12-2011, 09:38 PM
I loved Aljazeera, what a rotten show, if only we could send the NZ programmers to where they send good programs, to oblivion.

GameJunkie
27-12-2011, 10:07 PM
algazeera is good.

just have to watch it online now i suppose

Lawrence
28-12-2011, 04:52 AM
Quite a few comments here on Stratos http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/plug-pulled-stratos-television-ne-107044

Also coming up is Igloo for the ones they can't catch with a Sky subscription http://www.igloo.co.nz/pages/tell-me-more.php

For the ones that don't want to pay,we are left with a North Korean TV system

notechyet
28-12-2011, 06:28 AM
A lot of the time I find TV7 and Stratos the only channels worth while clicking on. Obviously Aljazzera was focused on the wars in the middle east for the last few months. If TV7 also shuts down might as well get rid of the box.

paulw
28-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Well you will get channel 9 from Feb 1st. :)

Freeview facebook page says "TV9 is launching early next year along with another channel that we will tell you about in the New Year. TV9 will be a English langauge channel with a focus on Chinese content."

tut
28-12-2011, 09:00 AM
I can see now that the idea is to drive viewers away from Freeview to their paid version if they want quality, thought provoking articles.(maybe).

Let the sub intelligencia and the poor take the free crap.

prefect
28-12-2011, 09:01 AM
TV7 repeating the programs every few weeks.
If I ever see the human power station one again where those englander clowns pedal to supply power to a home, I will scream.

pctek
28-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I can see now that the idea is to drive viewers away from Freeview to their paid version if they want quality, thought provoking articles..

Yes.
It's why I have Sky.

WalOne
28-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Let the sub intelligentsia and the poor take the free crap.

Hoist by your own petard? Fixed :)

tut
28-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Hoist by your own petard? Fixed :)

hoist by / with one's own petard, hurt, ruined, or destroyed by the very device or plot one had intended for another.

WalOne
28-12-2011, 11:20 AM
hoist by / with one's own petard, hurt, ruined, or destroyed by the very device or plot one had intended for another.

Yup. Presumably wanting to cast aspersions on the intelligence of those who aren't able to tell the difference between the "free crap" and (possibly) the superior offerings of pay TV, you then unfortunately misspelt "intelligentsia". "Let the sub intelligencia [sic] and the poor take the free crap."

Hoist by your own petard. :p

Zippity
28-12-2011, 11:47 AM
deleted - my bad :)

Richard
28-12-2011, 11:50 AM
"Hoist WITH his own petard." Shakespeare Hamlet

tut
28-12-2011, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=WalOne;1067860]Yup. Presumably wanting to cast aspersions on the intelligence of those who aren't able to tell the difference between the "free crap" and (possibly) the superior offerings of pay TV, you then unfortunately misspelt "intelligentsia". "Let the sub intelligencia [sic] and the poor take the free crap."

Superior offering of pay TV. Ypu must be joking
Not sure if you are having a dig at my mispelling for humour or whether you are an ******* that has to always show how much better you are.

If the latter is the case then humbug to you.

Agent_24
28-12-2011, 01:34 PM
So, they foist new digital equipment on everyone, but then kill off the good channels, display re-runs on everything else and try to switch you to Sky.

And they complain and whinge when people get sick of this sort of **** and "pirate" the TV shows...

WalOne
28-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Superior offering of pay TV. Ypu must be joking

Absolutely

Not sure if you are having a dig at my mispelling for humour

Yup, indicated by my use of :) and :p. Apols if you took offence, but none was meant.

tut
28-12-2011, 03:27 PM
No offence taken. I enjoyed the comment.

j
Absolutely

Yup, indicated by my use of :) and :p. Apols if you took offence, but none was meant.

Lurking
28-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Let the sub intelligencia and the poor take the free crap.

I may be the former, but definately not the latter, having watched many p/poor programs on hotel/motel tv screens, I don't think pay tv is anything to write home about.

This house has thre tv sets and 3 recording devices and the lady of the house still can't watch all the damned awful programs.

Son-in-law has a big satelite dish in his back yard and can get about 200 channels and he mainly watches Discovery channel, wtf is wrong with people today, must have the latest and mostest, no wonder we are in the c r a p.

Lurking.

Greven
28-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I wondered what happened to Stratos - I decided to see what was on the other night & all I got was a blank screen :(
Is any other channel going to pick up Al Jazeera and/or DW-TV?

ruup
28-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Looks like we will have to start watching Chinese TV soon...Sad that anything worth watching is being removed...need a few more cooking shows.

:badpc:

Metla
28-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Son-in-law has a big satelite dish in his back yard and can get about 200 channels and he mainly watches Discovery channel, wtf is wrong with people today, must have the latest and mostest, no wonder we are in the c r a p.

Lurking.

I blame our lack of poverty, wars, and disease.

Education may have also helped lift us up out of the muck.

dugimodo
28-12-2011, 05:02 PM
I've pretty much given up on TV. I won't miss stratos as I never watched it but it is depressing how little choice we get on TV.
I'm a big Sci Fi fan, there is no legit way for me to enjoy that on TV. We get shows occasionally in some crap timeslot and poorly advertised several seasons behind. And usually they pick the single season cancelled shows.

My TV has basically become a monitor for my media PC and my Blu-ray player. As soon as we get a service along the lines of netflix at a reasonable price in NZ (probably a few years off still :( ) I'm done with broadcast TV.

Agent_24
28-12-2011, 05:24 PM
And usually they pick the single season cancelled shows.

Yeah, what's up with that? I suppose they get them at discount prices.

paulw
28-12-2011, 06:40 PM

Better to get a one season show than none at all..

Agent_24
28-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Not in my view. I'd rather watch nothing and go do something else than watch something that once you get into it, turns out to be canceled.

Lurking
28-12-2011, 07:15 PM
I blame our lack of poverty, wars, and disease.

Education may have also helped lift us up out of the muck.

Met, those first three events could be on the way.

This new school system they are talking about may drop us back into it.

Lurking.

Metla
28-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Met, those first three events could be on the way.

This new school system they are talking about may drop us back into it.

Lurking.

Definitely, I wouldn't so much blame the education sector though, More the corporate sector and the governments that protect them.

Either way life will get hard and people will have more important priorities then 200 channels they can't possibly watch.

goodiesguy
29-12-2011, 10:13 AM
I watched stratos a few times and liked their show "The Beat Goes On". It's a damn shame it's no longer around.

This is depressing. They get rid of a decent channel, but are still happy to fund 2 crap maori channel's which broadcast a few hours a day and are for the minority's. And if that still isn't enough, they broadcast maori news on TV1.

I'm happy i don't watch tv anymore, apart from Crime Investigation Network, which is very good.

Roscoe
29-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I watched stratos a few times and liked their show "The Beat Goes On". It's a damn shame it's no longer around.

"The Beat Goes On" is a great show and is still broadcast on Triangle, but only avilable in Auckland.

Do you have a local community TV station in Dunedin? It may be broadcast there.

andrew93
29-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Unless you are watching Prime, that doesn't apply to channels 1, 2, 3 or 4. Both TVNZ and TV3/4 have deals with the studios where they take everything that is produced (TVNZ have Warners & Disney, TV3/4 have Fox & CBS) - my understanding is they have to take all of the programmes warts and all, they can't pick and choose. Notice how there are no Fox programmes on TVNZ and no Disney/Warner programmes on TV3 & 4. My guess is that if you aren't seeing your preferred genre, that is because it isn't being made in the US. And if it is canned after 1 season, I believe that's because the ratings bombed in the US. I believe they are pretty ruthless with that sort of stuff in the US.

I'm not sure if the BBC are doing any new sci-fi but if they are it isn't being picked up by the local networks. If sci-fi is not a popular genre overseas, what is the probability it will be any different here? Unless it has a general appeal, my guess is you won't see it on any of the commercial channels, hence the reason these types of shows are played in late night slots. Unless you are the BBC or Maori TV the goal of a TV network is to make money, so shows that don't rate won't get put into prime time. (I'm not having a go at Maori TV, I believe their goal is to primarily provide a public service which I don't have any issues with).

Lurking
29-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Silly me !, I thought it was all to do with advertising revenue.

Only wished they would turn down the d a m n sound, especially HN & NR, who demands the decible rating on ads ?.

The yanks were supposed to be passing a bill on broadcast decible rating to co-incide with normal talk volumne, probabley got tossed out.

Lurking.

tut
29-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Budget Tyres and Noel Leaming ads must be made by the same company too. I have worn the mute button out on the remote. I wonder how many others feel the same about these ads. So loud and obtrusive. There are some other which I cant recall the company but they use a young screeching woman who sounds like she is laughing with joy at what she is selling. I pity the poor husband if she has one if she screechs like that at home.
As for the volume I am sure they are cranking it up again now that a reasonably time has past since the last run of complaints that forced them to reduce it because at my age there is no way my hearing is improving.

gary67
29-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Budget Tyres and Noel Leaming ads must be made by the same company too. I have worn the mute button out on the remote. I wonder how many others feel the same about these ads. So loud and obtrusive. There are some other which I cant recall the company but they use a young screeching woman who sounds like she is laughing with joy at what she is selling. I pity the poor husband if she has one if she screechs like that at home.
As for the volume I am sure they are cranking it up again now that a reasonably time has past since the last run of complaints that forced them to reduce it because at my age there is no way my hearing is improving.

Big Save furniture?

paulw
29-12-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm happy i don't watch tv anymore, apart from Crime Investigation Network, which is very good.

You kidding me aren't you?? There's enough crime on the nitely news for everyones tastes..
Why would you want to watch a channel dedicated to the depressing subject of crime and violence??

susa
30-12-2011, 05:02 PM
[spam]

Cicero
30-12-2011, 06:03 PM
That house has three television for computer sets and 3 recording devices as well as lady of the home still can't watch all of the damned awful programs.My
car dvd (http://www.12vcity.com/) has built-in TV tuner with 100preset stations
I wish I had 2 of those.

PPp
01-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Gave up watching TV years ago. The large percentage of it is lowest common denominator stuff. There is occasionally a few small gems, but they are difficult to find, so I mostly don't look.

Zippity
01-01-2012, 01:46 PM
I wish I had 2 of those.

"Lady of the home" or built-in TV tuner with 100 preset stations? :) :)

Cicero
01-01-2012, 03:34 PM
"Lady of the home" or built-in TV tuner with 100 preset stations? :) :)

The latter, far more long lasting.