PDA

View Full Version : Linux mouse problem

21-10-2001, 09:33 PM
Installed Red Hat 7.1 and 'WOW' it detected all my hardware 1st time up, ran like a charm on reboot. Restored my faith in open source after a disasterous experience with an earlier version.
Only one minor problem has arisen, there is no mouse cursor on the screen, instead I have a 2cm white square, it functions ok, I can point and click as normal, but it covers the dialogue boxes and makes things hard to read. I am using a Microsoft optical trackball so I selected the Microsoft Intellimouse option during install, this may be the problem, if so how do I change the configuration to another mouse type

Regards
John

21-10-2001, 10:19 PM
Log in as root and at the shell command type 'xf86config' (without the quotation marks) and you will be presented with options for changing mouse type. Read the instructions carefully.
Cheers
Billy

21-10-2001, 10:53 PM
The square is caused by X trying to use a hardware cursor and your driver doesn't support it.

To disable hardware cursor, add the line:

Option 'sw_cursor'

To /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 under the graphics device section, for your video card.

If you don't want to do it manually, there is 'xf86config' as mentioned, there is also xf86cfg which is graphical. And redhat probably has its own program.
The problem is more likely caused by the driver for your graphics card, as almost evey card supports it.

23-10-2001, 09:25 AM
Thank you for your responses.
I am feeling like a bit of an idiot at the moment, I have no doubt that the suggestions you have made will fix the problem but.... I have to admit that I have absolutely NO idea where the relevant files are to be found, or how to access them.
Windows is familiar territory to me but my Linux experience is NIL, and it's all a bit baffling at the moment, so any further help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

mailto stuff4john@yahoo.com