PDA

View Full Version : saving programs

0leumas0
27-12-2011, 08:12 AM
:help::help: My CP crashed awhile back, it works now but lots of problems. Called microsoft and there sending me new discs to reformat WinXP professional. How do i save all the programs that came with this computer when I bought it ??? I do have an external hard drive with 500G. (f drive usb connected) Not sure how to back up things. I know how to move files - videos to the f drive,, but not programs. Also if i'm missing files in this system because of the crash will saving and then restoring programs to new XP mess it up again?? Thanks for any help,, relatively new to using my CP for anything but surfin, watchin videos and playin games

gary67
27-12-2011, 08:23 AM
You cannot save programs they have to be reinstalled from disc and if they are paid programs you will need the licence number for them too. However there are lots of free progrmas that can do what most paid programs can do. The only thing you will be able to save is all of your documents, pictures, music, movies, emails to the external drive

0leumas0
27-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Ya, I don't have any of the discs that came with this computer, got tossed by accident when I moved. Was hoping I could save Media Center, accessories and games from this XP Media center to the professional XP their sending me. I never burned the recovery discs and now i can't so have to put in new system

wainuitech
27-12-2011, 09:39 AM
MS should have sent you the XP Media center CD's instead.

XP Media center is actually XP Pro with the additional add on of the media center. Its built into the OS, and cant be saved /transfered to another install.
When installing XP Media center you get prompted to put in the second CD, unlike the normal XP Pro which only has one CD.

There area few free programs about that are an alternative Some Listed here (http://lifehacker.com/5103464/five-best-media-center-applications)

0leumas0
27-12-2011, 10:03 AM
they didn't have the media center or support it any more and restore discs have to be burnt or match computer. So only other option is to reformat with new opp system.

\

0leumas0
27-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the info,, looks like Im just going to lose all my extras, didn't use them much any way.

techneticsdata
02-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Fast & Reliable Hard Drive Recovery, Computer File Recovery (http://www.techneticsdata.com.au/) & Data File Recovery. 'No Data No Charge' Recovery Policy. Competitive quote. Live Help Support.