PDA

View Full Version : Transfering bookmarks between computers

curly
24-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Is it possible to copy bookmarks between 2 Vista computers ?

If it is how ?

ronyville
24-12-2011, 09:03 PM
bookmarks in IE you mean?

icow
24-12-2011, 09:07 PM
If it's firefox it's dead easy. It's got a function to do so.

dugimodo
24-12-2011, 09:30 PM
tools export, tools import - something like that.

Or you can find the bookmarks folder and copy that over. Either way pretty easy.

wainuitech
24-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Now for a real answer :D Saying things like its easy is pointless, the OP wouldn't be asking if they knew how -- come on people think when giving answers !!!

One way:

If In IE,open IE, go to File / import Export, Export to a file, Select Favorites - Follow through. Take Saved html file, put on USB drive, then on other PC do the same thing but Import.

In FF - Bookmarks, Show all Bookmarks - Import and backup - ( two options) Backup or export Bookmarks as html -- Then same as above to USB drive, and the same again bu this time select Import.

dugimodo
24-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Well ok then, but your instructions are wrong for IE9 and without knowing what browser I could just be wasting my time... I figured mentioning Export / Import might be enough of a clue.

For IE9 click the favourites button,
At the top above the favourites is a drop down menu arrow next to the add to favourites button, select Import and export
Export to a file, copy to other machine , repeat and Import

wainuitech
24-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Well ok then, but your instructions are wrong for IE9 and without knowing what browser I could just be wasting my time... I figured mentioning Export / Import might be enough of a clue.

What a load of crap, the instructions are for IE9 ( and most other versions of IE as well) .I do it almost daily that way, Follow the pictures and you will see. There are other ways as well.

heres the PROOF

As I said "If In IE,open IE, go to File / import Export"

Export to a file, Select Favorites - Follow through

The next step you browse to a location to save the file, then transfer that to a another PC and repeat, but select import this time.

To repeat, only give half instructions or saying its easy is a total waste of time.

Side note: I have noticed the quality of helpful posts these days has dropped -- to many people assume others know what they mean -- If they did they wouldn't be asking.

wainuitech
24-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Oh BTW Dugimodo, before just going to a random site, and copy /paste instructions, the one you gave for IE 9 does'nt work.

As per MS's help site:

The way you do it in IE8 and earlier is: "Click the Favorites button, click the arrow next to the Add to Favorites button, and then click Import and Export".

There is no arrow next to the add favorites button in IE9.The way I listed above works for all versions of at least IE6 and above.

icow
24-12-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm going to laugh if the OP isn't using IE.

Zippity
24-12-2011, 11:18 PM
I love how some of these "techs" think that they know the correct answers :) :)

dugimodo
25-12-2011, 07:51 AM
No need to get nasty Wainui, I wasn't trying to be.

Firstly, I didn't copy paste anything, I did it myself in IE9 and wrote the steps down. When I click the star for favourites there is indeed an arrow next to the add to favourites button, and the steps I wrote work perfectly.

I didn't see how to do it your way until I realised you have to turn on the menu bar which is off by default or always has been for me. If I turn it on then follow your instructions they are correct, and you're right the favorites button on the menu doesn't have the drop down menu, but the favorites Icon (star in the top right corner) does and it is what I was referring to.

So to summarise, you were right as long as the menu bar is enabled, I was right if you use the Favourites Icon in the top right corner.

Have a merry Christmas all.

wainuitech
25-12-2011, 09:29 AM
I love how some of these "techs" think that they know the correct answers :) :) I Wasn't being nasty, it wasn't intened like that, and as for that comment, if it was actually read correctly, I said ONE WAY. The comment was made
Well ok then, but your instructions are wrong for IE9 When in fact it wasn't wrong at all, it was one way of doing it,as proven.

At least techs usually dont go giving answers like "oh thats easy" with no instructions on how to do what ever was asked.

What people forget is others come asking for help on something they cant do. While it may be easy for some people, they often forget that the person they are trying to help doesn't have as much knowledge.

Off topic:
There was a assignment given ages ago when doing a course I was on, regarding giving instructions to someone who doesn't know how to do something -- its not as easy as many think. Out of the 10 in our group, and 3 other groups doing a different subject no one got it right fully ( it was a hell of a laugh though) ;)

I would think if someone did the same test here I'd be surprised if anyone got it fully.

dugimodo
25-12-2011, 04:03 PM
I Wasn't being nasty, it wasn't intened like that ok I'll accept that, but;

come on people think when giving answers !!! I'd call that mildly rude but maybe it isn't, depends how you take it and text doesn't convey that very well. Didn't really bother me.

What a load of crap, the instructions are for IE9 could be called rude also, but again no biggie.

Oh BTW Dugimodo, before just going to a random site, and copy /paste instructions, the one you gave for IE 9 does'nt work ok this is the one that made me call you nasty, it's a personal accusation aimed straight at me, and it's wrong. The instructions do work, I never even visited MS's help site let alone copy / pasted from it or anywhere else, and even if I had MS is hardly some random site. If I started this by saying your instructions were wrong my apologies, to me they did appear to be.

The confusion stems from the simple fact I have never enabled the Menu Bar in IE9 so I don't have a visible file menu, I thought you were referring to the one under the tools icon which doesn't have import/export as an option. The favourites button however (star shaped icon) does have the arrow and import/export option.

Turn off the menu bar, imagine you've never used it or know of it's existence, then see which instructions make more sense when you try to follow them.

Again Merry Xmas, I wouldn't have posted again but I figured the original poster had his answer and I wanted to clear up the confusion.

wainuitech
25-12-2011, 05:38 PM
What you wrote dugimodo is also correct.

There is one minor thing that could be confusing though.
For IE9 click the favourites button There is no actual button called favorites, there is only a star.
Now the average person may not know the star is the favorites button. By default there is no visible text saying "favorites" - however once the star is clicked then it brings up the menu and both ways are identical, just starts off differently thats all.

That comes back to the remarks I made about giving clear and precise instructions. Had you have said, something like --" On the right hand side of the page,next to the address bar is a star , click that, click the drop down arrow" etc --->>>>>---.

Brings me back also to the assignment I mentioned about giving precise and clear instructions.

I'd be reasonably sure hardly anyone would get it right first time unless they have done things like that before ;)

Might be an interesting challenge on a separate Thread to see whoever wrote instructions, and compare the differences. ( the fun part is following them and only the instructions) We did and what mess :D

Merry xmas.

momona
28-12-2011, 10:13 PM
oh,yes,built a bookmarks folder and copy that over. pretty easy,i even copy the folder to my sd card,and then you can use everywhere,car dvd (http://www.12vcity.com)be no exception.

Digby
29-12-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm on Firefox and I use Foxmarks.

They store my bookmarks in the cloud, and its easy to get them on a new machine.

But I still back them up using the Firefox Backup and Export options.