PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Overlay

21-10-2001, 06:02 PM
Can I get a hard drive to work without a Hard Drive Overlay on it? When I got my 20gb HDD a few months ago I had to get a disk to partition and add an overlay so that I could access it because it was larger than 8gb (even though my BIOS recognised it as being 20gb). However I recently got a 15gb (all the same specs apart from being 15... Quantum Fireball 5400 etc. etc.) but it doesn't have an overlay in it so I can access it directly. What do I have to do to be able to access my 20gb without the overlay? Its rather annoying cause to start from a boot disk I have to wait for the overlay to load then hit space then put the disk in to boot, whereas to boot from a bootdisk with the other drive all I need to do is boot the computer with the floppy in the drive.

help would really be appreciated. I know this isn't something that's stopping my system to run, but its something that's bugging me, and I'm sure there must be a way around it. I've been to the Maxtor site to see if they have a solution on there, but nothing (Maxtor and Quantum merged, that's why I went to the Maxtor site, cause Quantum doesn't deal with HDDs anymore).

21-10-2001, 09:21 PM
Hello Mike,
The short answer is yes you can, unfortunately you will have to reformat first, my solution would be to use the Quantum \ Maxtor disk installation utility to do a complete copy of your files to the 15 Gb hard drive then after that is complete reformat and partition the 20GB to requirements usimng the same utility, or just reformat then install it as a new drive which will give you the option of recopying all your files and OS back onto the freshly formatted 20Gb drive.

Alan

22-10-2001, 01:32 AM
Thanks Alan, but I don't think I quite follow you here... the only disk I've got is the one that came with the 20gb - the one with the overlay program on it, and that I think autoinstalls the overlay... and if it didn't install it, I wouldn't be able to get into that disk...

22-10-2001, 09:45 AM
Hi Mike, you probably know this but for those that dont; BIOS's before about September 1997 dont support HDDs greater than 8.4MB, thats why an overlay is required.
For Maxtor drives you can download MaxBlast from their site at :
http://www.maxtor.com/Maxtorhome.htm
This is the install program and will also enable larger drives on older BIOS systems.

Click on Product Support-Software & Utilities to get to the page where MaxBlast and other useful utilities can be downloaded.
Cheers

22-10-2001, 11:25 AM
Mmm... 8.4MB is a bit small, try 8.4GB.