PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Build

user123
23-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Hi everyone,
I am going to build my own computer soon. I have chosen these hardware:
1x Intel Sandy Bridge i5-2500 3.3GHz (http://ark.intel.com/products/52209/Intel-Core-i5-2500-Processor-%286M-Cache-3_30-GHz%29)
1x Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3806#sp) LGA1155 motherboard
1x Corsair 4GB DDR3-1333 RAM (http://www.corsair.com/cmv4gx3m1a1333c9.html)
1x Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA3 6GB/s 32MB HDD
1x Aywun A1-806 Black mid-tower ATX with 500W power
1x CNet Wireless-N PCI Adapter
1x PowerColor HD6770 1GB GDDR5 128-bit DVI/HDMI/VGA (http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?id=343)

1) Is a 500W PSU good enough for this computer?
2) Can my motherboard support 2x PowerColor HD6770 in CrossFireX? It says it supports ATI CrossFireX technology but it also says this:

* The PCIEX16 slot operates at up to x4 mode when ATI CrossFireX™ is enabled.

What does that mean?
3) Does having 2x ATI graphics cards mean 2x performance? Is CrossFireX even worth it?
4) Is there a huge difference between 4GB DDR3-1333 RAM and 8GB DDR3-1333 RAM?
5) My motherboard has integrated graphics. My CPU has integrated graphics but it requires my motherboard to have integrated graphics. Does the CPU's graphics join up with the motherboard's graphics?

Thanks guys!:thanks

icow
23-12-2011, 08:32 AM
If your gonna crossfire dont go 2x6770 and if you're gonna buy the i5 2500 i suggest you pick a better graphics card, your cpu will outperform your graphics in game which will bottleneck your framerate. That power supply will be absolutely terrible, don't skimp on it. Also for the sake of cable management get a decent case and if you want to go crossfire at least get a motherboard that supports 8x, 4x isn't even worth it. Also a 5830 is still a high end card that pulls in decent frame rates that sells for the same price as the 6770, it's beyond me as to why anyone would buy the 6770 now.

8ftmetalhaed
23-12-2011, 08:35 AM
a couple of 6770s will be pretty much equal to a higher level card. It doesn't mean 2x performance, and not just because it'll be 2 cards running at PCI 4x speeds when two are used. (Basically the CPU/Mobo can handle up to PCI express 16x, but if you split that between two it lowers to 8 or 4x. Mine can take multiple cards but will run them at 8x each. It CAN be worth it, if you can find the cards cheap enough, but generally not simply on the basis that 2 lower cards as I say will be equal to a higher level card in both cost and performance. Aside from anything else, a higher level card will have less problems due to not all games supporting crossfire and such.

You should be able to run the 6770 on 500W, but I would suggest pushing your budget if you can help it to a corsair 600W or higher, and a better graphics card. The 6770 is an updated 5770, and mine's nearing the end of its life for any serious level of gaming.

I also suggest you either grab an extra stick of ram or switch to 2x2gb sticks. 2 sticks will let you operate them dual channel, which will give better performance from the 2 as opposed to the same amount in 1 stick.

And 8gb would be pretty useful if you ever change your requirements. 4gb is pretty standard now.

Oh and as for your integrated graphics thing, that's simply ports on the motherboard. Your CPU has a GPU embedded on the chip, but you can't really plug a monitor directly into a cpu, which is why the motherboard has the ports. They'll work fine together.

Chilling_Silence
23-12-2011, 08:38 AM
1) If it's a solid 500w PSU, then sure, but if it's some el-cheapo brand then you might want to invest in something a little better.

2) Why not get this instead: http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MBDAS57633
While you're at it, why not fork out an extra $40-odd and get the 6870, it's a nice performance bump.

3) Not quite 2x, but if you leave yourself open to the option in the future, it can't hurt ...

4) For most, no. You can happily run Win7, game with the likes of LOTRO or WoW on pretty damn high detail, and have a dozen browser tabs open and still not be hitting 4GB. Just get 1x 4GB stick, you can always add later. You'd be better spending your $$ on a SSD though, that'd make a *massive* improvement vs a negligible one by upgrading your RAM.

5) Not sure I understand? Speaking of which, spend less on the CPU to offset all the other things you actually *need* to invest in. Hell a dual-core 3Ghz will still make bugger all difference to gaming compared with a quad-core 3.3Ghz with the rest of your system spec'd the way it is.

I'd spend more on your PSU first up, so you can always upgrade GPUs in the future. Get a 750w if you plan on doing Crossfire.
Then, spend just a tad more and go for the 6870. It's possibly a 20-30% difference in performance? Just taking a stab in the dark ...
Then, get yourself a solid-state drive, just have your OS and "currently played games" on it. If you only rarely play a game, throw it on your larger HDD, and keep music / pictures / documents on the HDD.
Spend a little less on the CPU. It sounds "nice" to have a quad-core, but you're bragging about the wrong thing there if you're a gamer, or getting in to gaming.
The RAM is also going to be easily upgradable in-future if you have a single 4GB stick, especially if your mobo only has 2 slots. If your mobo has 4 slots, it'll possibly be cheaper to get 2x 2GB sticks up-front.

Hope this helps :)

user123
23-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Ok guys thanks for all your help! You have taught me a LOT of things about buying a computer.

pctek
23-12-2011, 09:48 AM
1x Aywun A1-806 Black mid-tower ATX with 500W power
1x powercolor HD6770

Crap PSU - keep the case but change the PSU to a Corsair.

Not the best GPU brand either, change it to ASUS or Gigabyte.

user123
23-12-2011, 10:07 AM
How about this motherboard:? Asus P8P67 LE Intel P67 ATX Socket 1155 4x DDR3
Or this motherboard:? Gigabyte GA-Z68M-D2H LGA1155
I need a CPU that has VT-x and VT-d, so that's why I chose the i5-2500. I can't seem to find a cheaper one.
Unfortunately, the difference between a HD6770 and a HD6870 is $147.29.

icow
23-12-2011, 12:01 PM
You need x86 virtualization? Intel isn't the only brand of cpu that supports it... But if you must buy intel: http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced?VTX=true

Chilling_Silence
23-12-2011, 12:14 PM
You'll save that much on your CPU though, and the performance increase in games will be worth it.

BBCmicro
23-12-2011, 02:59 PM
I presume you will get i5-2500k, the overclock version, rather than i5-2500??

You get 24% more performance for about ?$30?

I got the 'k' version but was reluctant to overclock it until I saw that everyone else was doing it. Eventually I set it to the standard 4.1GHz. No problems at all.

(I'm beginning to wonder if there is any difference between the two versions. I can imagine Intel making a single Item then blowing a fusible link on some of them to sell at a cheaper price to people who have a very tight budget)

dugimodo
23-12-2011, 03:02 PM
You always have to make a compromise between what's the best and what you can afford. Only you can decide what price level that is.

I see why you chose a 6770, still a reasonable card and just over $210 when I looked. seems like the next Jump starts about $100 more upwards.
You could drop back to an i5 2400 and still get a quad core for about $30 less, not sure it's worth the saving but you're unlikely to notice the difference between the two and it does have the features you say you need.

Personally I would stick with a quad core, they are becoming the norm and while it's true games up until now haven't required them there's no garauntee it'll stay that way and games aren't the ony thing you can use the pc for.

Two choices really;
1. build the machine you listed or something similar ( all the motherboards you mention are ok ) and be happy for now. Upgrade the graphics later if you feel the need, it could take 6-12 months until any games come out that'll have problems. Maybe longer and even then you will probably still be able to play them with slightly lowered settings. Meanwhile it's a capable enough machine you'll get plenty of use out of.

2. Spend a little more now or redistribute the cost to get a better graphics card and you should get a bit more life out of it without upgrading.

There are pro's and con's either way. Todays top end card often = a midrange card 12 months later and a midrange card now and another in 12 months works out at a similar cost and overall life to one high end card now but you end up with newer technology and require less power to run it. (don't look at mine I went over the top.)

To reinforce the advice here, never run a PC on a cheap generic PSU. Stick to the recognised good brands, it is one of the most crucial parts of the PC and shouldn't be skimped on. If you look at the amp ratings for the various voltages on a cheap 500W PSU and compare them to a good brand like Corsair you will see the difference.

A cheap 500W PSU will supply 500w... for less than a microsecond, at the south pole in midwinter, outside, with 500 penguins blowing cool air on it, and then let the magic smoke out anyway. Probably taking your CPU, Graphics, and motherboard with it, but not completely - they will seem to work when you replace the PSU but the system will continuously crash for no apparent reason until finally dying a few weeks later. This may seem like a ridiculous exageration, it isn't. A good PSU is rated to supply continuous current @ 40 degrees or more, a cheap one is rated for instantaneous burst current at 20 degrees or less.

icow
23-12-2011, 03:59 PM
the 6770 is $200+. The 5830 is cheaper and better (http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=626436).

jxer4567
25-12-2011, 06:21 PM
one thing to do is to get the unlocked i5-2500 the i5-2500k its unlocked so it is better i am pretty sure you can overclock it that way to

icow
25-12-2011, 11:02 PM
If your not oc-ing its not worth it.

dugimodo
25-12-2011, 11:18 PM
If your not oc-ing its not worth it.

+1
And in a weird wtf move the 2500K has a better graphics core than the 2500, I guess for people who do a lot of video encoding using quicksync and also overclock..... because that's such a big market segment.
It would make more sense to me if the lower end CPUs had the better GPU core, surely it's budget oriented builds that use integrated graphics.
Gamers don't care as a rule, although if you buy a Z68 board it is possible to get both quick sync and discrete graphics running together, but I haven't really seen any software around that takes advantage of it.

If you don't plan on overclocking any desktop model i5 is more than good enough.

I looked at the benchmarks, the 5830 does seem like a better choice from what I saw, not A card I'd seen mentioned anyway prior to this thread.

icow
25-12-2011, 11:19 PM
It would make more sense to me if the lower end CPUs had the better GPU core, surely it's budget oriented builds that use integrated graphics.

That's why the AMD A8 makes sense.