PDA

View Full Version : Nasty problem after using hotel wifi

robo
23-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Came back from holiday with an annoying iPad and iPhone problem. The motel wifi did something weird, proxying I am guessing and somehow now when I go to certain websites on the devices (and they are different on both) my browser is being redirected to server.localzone/index.html on certain web sites. This results in the error "Cannot open page - safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found". It started while I was still at the hotel but hoped once I left that wifi zone it might stop. It didn't.

I can access other parts of these websites but the ones I have noticed prevent me from going to the home URL. For example, I can go to stuff.co.nz/national but not stuff.co.nz. I can work around it but it is a major pain. Same result using www.stuff.co.nz or stuff.co.nz.

I am guessing there is some sort of list maintained internally on the device that handles this but I have no idea how to access it or edit it.
Anyone got any ideas? Even on how to do it with firefox or IE might give me enough clues to sort it in Safari.
Cheers
Robo

Chilling_Silence
23-12-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm unsure if this is iOS5 only (The only device I have handy) or iOS4 also, but try going in to Settings > General > Reset, then hit Reset Network Settings

robo
23-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Hmm, limited success. Fixed stuff but not trademe, that is really weird.

Lost all my wifi passwords, but that shouldn't be more than a minor annoyance.

For the record, both were iOS5.

Awesome, thanks for that.

Chilling_Silence
23-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Hmm that's odd. Is it just TradeMe in the browser? What about the TradeMe App?

robo
23-12-2011, 02:51 PM
App itself is fine, all of trademe is fine in browser, except home page. I like the home page for the auctions of the day. Could be other regular websites that have the same problem, I just haven't found them yet.