PDA

View Full Version : Asus Transformer video

Metla
22-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Looking at encoding some video files with the intention of letting the kids watch them on the tablet while we are traveling.

I'm going to assume that many have gone down this road before, so, whats the best format?,settings?, perhaps an app with a profile built in?

Chilling_Silence
22-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Handbrake
Anything
Done :)

No seriously though if you grab something like Rock Player, encode whatever you want to really, depending on quality / resolution ... It'll play it fine :)

When did you get the Transformer?

dugimodo
22-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Any res higher than the tablets screen is wasted of course, the ipad presets in handbrake are a pretty easy option and will result in good looking video at tablet size.
I don't think the difference in tablet aspect ration makes any difference.

Metla
22-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Got the transformer yesterday, Made reference to it in the kindle thread next door.

So, the trick is another media player rather then encoding to suit the limited capabilities of the default setup?

Metla
22-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Any res higher than the tablets screen is wasted of course, the ipad presets in handbrake are a pretty easy option and will result in good looking video at tablet size.
I don't think the difference in tablet aspect ration makes any difference.

True,But the original file resolution is less then that plus I'm trying to get each file below 600mb so its definitely a case of dropping the resolution even further.

I tried the ipad profile on DVDFab 8 and it resulted in a file considerably larger then the source.

Chilling_Silence
22-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Use Handbrake and tell it you're doin it for an iPod Touch or something to that effect. Should end up a few hundred megs per-movie (Maybe 400?). Do 2-pass h.264 with the default "quality" target and use 128k AAC 2-channel audio.

Initial thoughts on the Transformer? Get the Dock ?

Metla
22-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Ive settled on the ipad profile in DVDFab8, just halved the resolution and set a custom file size, either 500 or 600mb depending on length of video.

Its working well, the files can be played from any random spot without visual distortion,play back is smooth.Colours are a little smudged but the 4 year old will be to busy singing Hot Potato to care. Going to make up a flash drive of content for each member of the family.

Thoughts on the transformer?...hmm, The dock is probably a waste of money.

I bought the tablet because I wanted to move towards e-books but didn't want to spend money on a device that was limited purely to books (and I thought I had secured a well paying job, lmfao). I view the tablet as purely for viewing content so bought the dock for the extended battery life and data inputs rather then the keyboard.

So far I'm more then happy with the tablet, the entire family wants to use it, I can see another one on the horizon as my wife (after initially being dismissive) is an instant fan of the amazon shop and reading books on the tablet.

Chilling_Silence
22-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah my wife was pretty dismissive of it too, but she seems to enjoy it when she gets the chance to play with it (When I'm not :D )