PDA

View Full Version : Doncha Just Hate It When --------

SurferJoe46
22-12-2011, 05:58 AM
I was using my medical facility's voice-operated system to set up an appointment for next month and renew a prescription.

Fifteen l - o - n - g minutes into the automated voice recognition system and finally I get to the part: "If you also need a prescription refill, just say: 'prescription refill' or press the number three (3) key on your telephone".

Then I coughed.

Then I got: "Sorry that request is not possible at this time" and the stupid thing hung up on me.

FIFTEEN MINUTES GONE INTO THE LONG-Y!

I've had background noises screw up one of these caller systems before too, and me coughing is a very likely thing in any five minute, not to mention a fifteen minute period of time.

So I am constantly destroying these orders, changes of address or dealings with the FBI when odd noises result in a hang up or being redirected to the top of the menu all over again.

Doncha hate it too?

lakewoodlady
22-12-2011, 12:19 PM
I know what you mean, we have a lot of Govt offices which have automated robot service here too. I haven't tried coughing to see what the robot says yet!

LL

Chilling_Silence
22-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Hahaha I did that once, was ringing TelstraClear. Standing in the mother-in-laws kitchen and she slammed a cupboard shut.

"Transferring you to *Accounts* department now"
I'm like "Whaaa?! I wanted Tech Support and she slammed the cupboard, now I'm going to Accounts!?!?!?!"

dugimodo
22-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Some systems now detect when people are getting angry and move you up the que...
If it takes too long try swearing at it :)

I love the "please enter your account number after the tone (or extension number, whatever) and press the # key", so you do that, press # and get "please enter your account number after the tone and press the # key"....

Or the microsoft one, 10 min que, 5 mins working your way through the menu, only to have it refuse to accept your perfectly valid COA code because it's too bloody long and it gets an error on one of the digits every time.

SP8's
22-12-2011, 01:50 PM
SJ ... stop your complaining ... don't you know a "medical advancement" when you hear it ... :D

R2x1
22-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Automated answer systems are responsible for more (replacement) phone sales than upgraded features will ever manage. Few phones can withstand an angry person stomping or hurling them.
A personal foible when these infernal systems eat up a fair chunk of my remaining allotted span is to ask whoever finally answers to "please hold", put the phone by the radio and wander off. I have yet to find a way of regularly injecting an unpleasant voice to reassure the other party that "Your call is important to us".

The first person making a telephone device that periodically connects the complaints departments of Microsoft and Telecom together would have a ready-made bunch of eager buyers. :devil

Jen
22-12-2011, 06:57 PM
We've got a voice recognition automatic phone exchange at work. It's awesome. :rolleyes:

Funny how some people think speaking louder will suddenly make it understand your request.

R2x1
22-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Well, pushing the buttons harder on the remote makes the TV switch channels faster ;)

Bobh
22-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Surely when the robot heard you cough he would have realised that you had a cold, prescribed cough medicine and sent you off to bed. :D

WalOne
22-12-2011, 09:18 PM
We've got a voice recognition automatic phone exchange at work. It's awesome. :rolleyes:

Funny how some people think speaking louder will suddenly make it understand your request.

Jen, your new avatar is so, you. Awesome when you're on the warpath :thumbs:

Bobh
22-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Jen, your new avatar is so, you. Awesome when you're on the warpath :thumbs:

Looking at the avatar will make us want to behave.

fred_fish
22-12-2011, 10:11 PM
A personal foible when these infernal systems eat up a fair chunk of my remaining allotted span is to ask whoever finally answers to "please hold", put the phone by the radio and wander off. I have yet to find a way of regularly injecting an unpleasant voice to reassure the other party that "Your call is important to us".Great idea!
An MP3 playlist with every 2nd track a voice saying "MY call is important to YOU, please continue to hold until I am free" :)