PDA

View Full Version : PC Freezing, Hard Drives Not Detected On Reboot

andrew_k
20-12-2011, 08:59 PM
I've had a weird problem over the past week. Basically the onscreen display freezes, and there is nothing I can do to get things working again apart from hitting the reset button. However when I do the Bios doesn't detect either of my hard drives (I have 2 Western Digital WDC WD4000AAKS-00TMA0 400gb SATA drives installed). It does however detect the optical drive I have connected to another SATA port. If I switch off and then restart everything works fine. I initially thought this might have been something to do with overheating, as I noticed 2 of my case fans weren't working properly plus it only appears to happen after the machine has been on for a while. However I replaced all 3 fans today with Noctua NF-S12B FLX's. I thought this would fix this issue, however 10 minutes ago I came in to my office to discover the screen frozen and the task bar blacked out. I have a fanless ASUS EN8500GT video card (which uses the NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT chipset), and this routinely gets up to around 57 to 60 degrees celsius. Could it be related to this (though I would have thought these temps were fine for a graphics card)? I really have no idea what is happening. Any advice hugely appreciated.

System: Asus P5K3 Deluxe motherboard with 6gb DDR3 RAM, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, dual booting Windows XP Sp2 (32 bit) and Windows 7 64 bit. System is just over 3 years old.

wainuitech
20-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Welcome to PF1 :)

Have you tried starting the computer in safe mode and left it running, and if so does it still lock up ??

Edited: see you put in the system spec's now :D

Does it lock up on both OS's ?

andrew_k
20-12-2011, 09:12 PM
I haven't checked on the Windows 7 partition. I'll boot up into the Windows 7 partition and leave it overnight to see if anything happens. It's a weird one though, as the machine had been running fine from midday until around 5.30pm. I had to shoot out for a couple of hours and when I came back...

Speedy Gonzales
20-12-2011, 09:53 PM
I would update XP for starters. What BIOS is on it?? Since theres a few updates that fix a few things.

Does this happen?? 0910. Fix the issue that the system can't boot after enabling SB RAID option ROM. Are you running these in RAID?

1014 Fix the system is unable to resume from S3 with certain CPU.

1203 the system may take about 30 seconds to boot into the OS when all USB ports are in use. Fix the Realtek LAN may stop functioning under Windows XP and Vista when AI-NET2 option is changed to Disabled.

pctek
21-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Check event viewer, anything about drive errors? I had one once, would do something similar, the cable to the HDD wouldn't stay tight, it would move slightly sideways at one end. I

andrew_k
21-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I had the PC booted into Windows 7 overnight with no issues after about 9 hours. I'm actually running Windows XP Sp3, not Sp2 as I noted above. The drives aren't being run in any RAID configuration. The Windows 7 partition I use for recording music, with the second drive being used purely to record audio to. Current BIOS version is 0604. I'm a little wary of flashing the BIOS as I haven't done this before. There was nothing in Event viewer to indicate anything serious.

Tyrone
22-12-2011, 06:50 AM
I was suffering the same problem but the relevant BIOS version i have now resolve my problem and now i have re installed my Windows so it is going better.

22-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Just in case, are you using any sort of molex extension cable , 1 into 2 power splitter etc etc on the hard drives power cables ??

dugimodo
22-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Keep testing with 7 for a while, if it doesn't happen then it's probably a software problem with XP. If you don't want to flash the BIOS consider updating drivers from the manufacturers site for graphics and chipset, also wouldn't hurt to do a full virus scan and a malware scan with a couple of good scanners such as MBAM and spybot. Bear in mind sometimes drivers are written to work best with the latest BIOS version after a bug fix.

Graphics temps in the 50s are pretty good, only when they go over 80 does it become a concern, and most modern cards can get to 100 without dying.

Lockups are tricky, could be all kinds of things but a few common ones are:
Dodgy software
Outdated drivers
Malware & Viruses
Faulty RAM
Faulty PSU
Overheating components

andrew_k
24-12-2011, 03:30 AM
It appears to happen when I leave some application open for an extended period of time. MS Word, VLC Media Player and Google Chrome are all possible candidates. I'll boot into Windows 7 and try leaving a couple of apps open there and see what happens.

Myth
24-12-2011, 07:02 AM
Question, why the need for XP?

I only ask as you mentioned that you use both, but need Win 7 for music. What is XP required for?

Also: personally I wouldn't touch the BIOS unless it became absolutely necessary; which at this stage it does not appear to be

andrew_k
24-12-2011, 08:54 AM
I use the Windows XP partition for work (I'm a software developer) and general mucking around. Hence have a few apps installed that run in the background. For the Windows 7 installation I have nothing installed except the music recording application and support software. As well all non-essential Windows services have been switched off (Firewall, security etc). This means nearly all the system processing power is available for recording music.

I forgot to add that I ran Prime95 for nearly an hour on the Windows XP partition the other day. This maxed the CPU's and used around 2gb RAM. CPU core temps got to the low-mid 50's (celsius) - which I thought was absolutely fine. However the interested thing was the system didn't randomly re-boot. ie. this test obviously didn't stress whatever currently has an issue.

andrew_k
24-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Just in case, are you using any sort of molex extension cable , 1 into 2 power splitter etc etc on the hard drives power cables ??
No, thanks for your input though - much appreciated.

andrew_k
24-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Windows 7 with Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer and CCleaner open ran through the night just fine.

Myth
24-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Sounding more and more like XP issue only.

All drivers updated? Antivirus run on safe mode? Any other anti-malware apps installed? Get superAntispyware, install update and run that in safe mode too

Incidentally - with drivers - I have always been told to never use the graphics or sound drivers offered by Windows update.
Always use the correct drivers from the manufacturer's site

andrew_k
24-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Just ran MBAM and SpyBot. The former found a couple of registry security settings that had been switched off (by me, so no worries there). Spybot found a couple of browser cookies it didn't like (eg. DoubleClick) plus a couple of entries like the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\S haredAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProf ile\GloballyOpenPorts\List\21:TCP

However I have port 21 open as I regularly use FTP for work. ie. in theory I am malware free. I'll update the chipset drivers and see if this makes any difference.

andrew_k
24-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Installed the latest Intel chipset drivers and flashed the BIOS (to v1103). Will leave a few things running and check what happens...

andrew_k
24-12-2011, 06:01 PM
It happened again. I had Windows Explorer and Google Chrome open, and then left the computer to go and do a few other things for several hours. When I got back... Just installed Chrome under Windows 7. Will see if I can get this to happen with this OS.

andrew_k
28-12-2011, 09:18 AM
I think this is a hardware issue. Under Windows 7 the wait cursor repeatedly pops up, even when doing mundane things (and it was doing this prior to the Google Chrome install). Darn, might have to take it into a shop to find out where the actual fault is.

Agent_24
28-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Crappy and overloaded PSU?

andrew_k
30-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Crappy and overloaded PSU?
That would have been one of my first thoughts too. However I have Seasonic PSU, which really should be ok. Here's my full system specs:
Asus P5K3 Deluxe motherboard
Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad Core CPU (with Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme heat sink and Nexus fan)
6gb DDR3 RAM
Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550 PSU
Asus GeForce 8500 GT silent video card
2 Western Digital 400gb 7200 RPM SATA hard drives
Asus DRW-24B1LT SATA optical drive
3 Noctua NF-S12B case fans
Antec P182 case

ellanmomo
30-12-2011, 07:05 PM
[spammer]