PDA

View Full Version : Crazy machines problem

Tony
19-12-2011, 09:59 PM
I've installed the Crazy Machines demo, but can't get into it. I get stuck at the player name screen. It is most odd. It will allow me to type/edit a new name, but doesn't recognize anything else (ENTER, TAB etc) from the keyboard or mouse. There is no visible mouse cursor.

I've checked on the web, and can't find these symptoms described. I've got all the latest drivers etc installed. The CM website has no "contact us" so I can't ask them, and their forum looks pretty useless too.

Any one here managed to get it to work?

bevy121
19-12-2011, 11:50 PM
I'd suggest just going with the original Incredible Machine - the interface on Crazy machines had a few problems all round apparently - plus there's

Even More Incredible Machine, The Incredible Machine 2 and 3, Contraptions and Even More Contraptions
in this pack here (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_incredible_machine_mega_pack), will last a lifetime! lol

Here's an Incredible Machine 3 demo (http://download.cnet.com/The-Incredible-Machine-3-demo/3000-2111_4-10002682.html) from cnet - I'd use the "Direct Download Link" just under their cnet one with installer that has ads....

put the timdem.exe in a folder of it's own, then run it and it will self extract in that folder
Then there will be a few files in there, including a TIMDEMO.EXE to run the game

BUT first you will need to right click on the TIMDEMO.EXE and select
properties -> compatibility tab and set to "run this program in windows 98 mode"

Tony
20-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - I already have TIM. I'm no further forward with my original question though, am I?

Tony
20-12-2011, 09:22 PM
OK, it looks like a Win7 issue. I've installed it on XP and Vista virtual machines running under Win7 and it runs fine. Native Win7 - no good. I've also tried it under Win7 with compatibility settings, and it still doesn't work.

icow
20-12-2011, 10:42 PM
What version of 7 to you have? You could install xp mode if you have 7 pro.

Tony
21-12-2011, 06:41 AM
What version of 7 to you have? You could install xp mode if you have 7 pro.Good point. I have win7 pro, so I could try that.

autechre
21-12-2011, 09:09 AM
I've installed Crazy Machines on Win7 64bit no problem.

Here's a thread on Steamforums that may help:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695153

Tony
21-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Curiouser and curiouser. I've installed CM2 under XP mode and it won't run there either. I've looked at the thread on steam and tried the solutions there - no change. So it won't run natively uinder Win7 or in XP mode, but will run under Vista or XP in a VMware virtual machine under Win7.

Tony
21-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Looking at what happens when CM2 does work, I've realized some of what is happening. Natively under Win7, what is happening is that the mouse cursor has disappeared, and as the app ha no keyboard controls at that point, all I can do is type, but not select a button. Why it is crapping out under XP mode, who knows (and who cares!)