PDA

View Full Version : Windows Safari does not complete loading web pages



braindead
18-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Hi folks - Would appreciate some help with this one. Most stuff on the web has to do with Safari Mac.

I really only use Safari to check my cross-browser web designs.

Safari ran fine on my XP SP3 system for a year or more. I tried the latest Safari - no go. I went back to an earlier Safari 5.04 - no go.

When I try to open web pages, the URL progress bar moves about 10% and hangs, IOW, the page stays blank. This happens across all web sites. All other bowsers work fine. I can't find anywhere in Safari that relates to connection settings.

Another Apple nutty snap experience, ha ha :(

Thanks!

Safari
18-12-2011, 05:47 PM
In the top right corner click on the gear wheel ( preferences)
Click on reset Safari

If that does not fix it check for proxy server
Safari for windows uses the proxy settings
from IE.
You can do this from Safari -Preferences/Advanced/Proxies – Change Settings
Or go to Internet Options in IE, click on Connections Tab and Lan settings at the bottom.

braindead
18-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks Safari :)

When I click Proxies in Advanced, the dialog box hangs for ages.

Under Lan settings 'Automatically Detect Settings' is checked, but nothing else.

I took a look in Process Explorer and both Apple Mobile Device Service.exe and Safari.exe are around 48% CPU.

Under Properties in Apple Mobile Device Service, it is MSVCR80.dll that is the CPU sucker. Ditto for Safari.exe Properties.

There are a number of similar MSVCR80.dlls in the Properties list and it is the top one that is the problem.

braindead
19-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Holy Smokes! I did it...after all the weeks of searching, abysmal mental grinding and self-torture I found what (on my system) had been causing iTunes and Safari - now back to the latest version - to be painfully slow or hang.

In the case of iTunes the Store would not load and like Safari, their progress bars hung around 10% and 50% respectively.

As I said in the above thread, the two MSVCR80.dlls (using about 50% CPU each) pointed to the problem. So I downloaded the most recent copy of MSVCR80.dll and when I tried to register it via Run (regsvr32 MSVCR80.dll) I got an error message that registration failed!

I then found out that MSVCR80.dll is part of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package x86 and downloaded the installer for it called vcredist_x86.exe.

So if you run XP and are unfortunate enough to be caught in the Apple vortex and you've unsuccessfully tried the hundreds of other suggestions on the web, d/l a copy of vcredist_x86.exe and run the sucker. If you get a message offering to REPAIR the existing Visual C++ package, click Yes.

Voila! All, and I mean all those energy-leeching Apple problems just went away!

Hope this helps somebody :)

wainuitech
19-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Off topic, but same result -- If anyone has Nod32, and it appears to be slowing the startup, and in the event viewer there are lots of errors "side-by-side" the same file, vcredist_x86.exe, fixes the problem.

braindead
21-12-2011, 09:04 AM
wainuitech. Thanks, that's good to know.