PDA

View Full Version : Outllook 2003 restrictions on accessing urls in email

John H
17-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Hiya

My wife's computer (XP Sp3, Outlook 2003) recently updated all the usual Microsoft suspects. Since then, she is prevented from accessing urls in received email (even from people on her safe sender list). One of those useless Microsoft messages comes up saying she has been stopped from opening the url because of restrictions on her computer, and she should talk to her system administrator (who is?).

I have tried everything and cannot find a solution. Can someone please direct me to the place where I can loosen the stays on this stupid PC? Bloody Microsoft - they always think they know what is best for you.... Grrrrr.

BTW, I have tried turning off Nod32 to see if that is where the problem lies, but that makes no difference.

TIA for any wisdom on this. John

bevy121
17-12-2011, 10:01 PM
2 things to try (if you haven't already)

Tools –> Options –> Security –> Security Zones
Change Zone —> “Internet”
Zone Settings (Same page) –> reset “Internet Zone” –> default
Restart Outlook
-------------------------------------------------------

Tools –> Options –> Junk Mail
Unselect - - " disable links and other functionality in phishing messages"
Click OK - Click OK again
Restart Outlook

Safari
17-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Set IE as default browser
http://www.winxptutor.com/iedefault.htm

John H
18-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks both of you. @ bevy - I had tried both of those things, but had not tried restarting Outlook. By the time your reply came in, my wife had shut her PC down for the night, so I waited until this am to try that sequence - no luck I'm afraid.

@ Safari. Just for the sake of research, I tried your suggestion (even though neither of us want to use the Dark Side and have to live with screeds of ads again!). Well, that worked, so thank you - functionality returned to urls in email. I then changed the default browser back to Firefox, and for some reason I do not understand, urls in Outlook emails now work with FF as well. My son sends us photos using some Microsoft thing called Skydrive, and that had stopped working as well - whatever has changed, has also corrected that problem.

I now have no idea what caused the problem in the first place, and what worked to restore this function, but thank you both for your wisdom.

Safari
18-12-2011, 11:37 AM
This explains it John
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/this-operation-has-been-cancelled-due-to-restrictions

John H
18-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Ah, thank you Safari, that explains exactly what must have happened. It probably had nothing to do with the Microsoft updates, and explains why it only happened on one of three PCs in this house. Thanks once again. John