PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Windows 7 to an older version of the same

kjvchris
16-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey there,

I'm trying to Reinstall Windows 7 from an OEM CD I have, but it will not let me as the version I have installed already is the very latest service pack. I put the CD in, it runs through the updating process, and then informs me that there is compatibility issues.

Is there a way to get around these?

Also, is there a way to reinstall windows (and keep all my files plus programs) outside of the Windows OS itself? As in, install it in safe mode or something? I ask because it likes to crash half way through installation and that wreaks all kinds of havock with the startup files.

Help!

Windows 7 64bit (sp3)
Duel core Athlon II
4gb ram

Chris

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Win7 doesnt have SP3. Its only up to SP1. You can copy documents / emails to something else. But you'll have to reinstall the programs. And no you probably cant run it in safe mode. Since, most services are disabled (that windows needs). If you reinstall, (I would say) you'll have to start from scratch - re: format). It sounds like youre trying to reinstall windows over itself (within windows). You should reboot change the bootdisk in the BIOS to the cd/dvd. Then boot from it

kjvchris
16-12-2011, 01:41 PM
My mistake, I meant to say SP1. Yes, looks like I will have to clean reinstall. Good way to spend the weekend. Not.

dugimodo
16-12-2011, 02:42 PM
You could do a repair install, depends what you are trying to achieve.
Do what speedy said, repair is one of the options.

gary67
16-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Or you could slipstream sp1 into the CD you have but will require reburning the CD

Lawrence
16-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Win 7 (SP1) ISO here

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/14709-Windows-7-Digital-River-direct-links-Multiple-Languages-X86-amp-X64/page59?p=469389&viewfull=1#post469389

Do a repair install