PDA

View Full Version : Wireless adaptor

PeterQ
16-12-2011, 08:30 AM
I have a Atheros AR 5007G wireless adaptor and a Thompson TG 585v7 wireless router which is connected in another part of the house away from my desktop, the problem is sometimes it picks it up and other times it wont untill i restart my pc 2-3 times, is this because it is a cheap adaptor, i have heard of others having problems with this adaptor, i have gone to the device manager and tried to update the driver but there is no updated drivers

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Might depend if its G or N. And whether it's USB or PCI. If its PCI, (if you can get a bigger / better aerial), it may help. Or if its USB, try putting it on the front of the case. Or connect it with a USB extension.

It may also depend, on how far the adapter is from the router.

PeterQ
16-12-2011, 08:59 AM
thanks its a pci and only 5 metres away but i'll go with your suggestion and perhaps get one with a twin aerial and a bit more expensive

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Is it secure? With WPA or better? Are any firewalls installed (besides the windows one)??

PeterQ
16-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Not sure about wpa ,how do you find that but it has standard windows firewall

PeterQ
16-12-2011, 09:15 AM
And Kapersky firewall

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Could be Kaspersky thats making it drop. Unless its configured properly. Did Kaspersky disable windows firewall?? You should only have 1 firewall. or they'll conflict with each other. If Windows firewall is still enabled, disable it. You look at the security in the router (for the wireless). if its on WEP, I would change it. WEP can be hacked easily

PeterQ
16-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Ok have turned it off ,i try it over the next couple of restarts and let you know

PeterQ
16-12-2011, 09:51 AM
No that didnt work even in sleep mode for a short time , i will take your original idea and purchase a new adaptor, the laptop picks the router up no problem

PeterQ
16-12-2011, 09:53 AM
By the way thanks speedy

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2011, 09:58 AM
No probs, you dont need another adapter. If the card can take a longer aerial or something (thats if you can buy them). It may help. Did you go to the Atheros site to see if there were later drivers?? Windowsupdate doesnt always have drivers for everything. And shouldnt be relied on for drivers (sometimes drivers from here can crash windows, or make things worse). Is the latest firmware on the router?

What version of windows is installed?? If XP, is SP3 installed?

dugimodo
16-12-2011, 11:37 AM
I had a cheap adaptor from first-in that was terrible, had very short range, didn't connect reliably, speed was bad, and stopped working completely after about a week. I now have a TP-link USB wireless N adaptor that, so far, has been flawless. Works anywhere in the house, but how hard can it be, the smartphone picks it up out at the gate easily.

Agent_24
16-12-2011, 02:40 PM
I have a Atheros AR 5007G wireless adaptor
i have gone to the device manager and tried to update the driver but there is no updated drivers

Is the card also branded Atheros or is it something else?

As far as I know, Atheros just make the chipsets.

Are you looking for updated drivers on Windows update? Don't bother, very rarely will Windows update actually have useful drivers. In fact, if you're using the Windows drivers already, they could well be why it doesn't work.

I would try the latest ones from here: http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php

Scroll down to find the AR5007G and then get the driver for your version of Windows.

PeterQ
16-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks but they want you to download driver boost which i am not willing to do, my desk top is pretty new and has most of the latest drivers

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2011, 04:47 PM
So, what version of windows is installed?

PeterQ
16-12-2011, 04:47 PM
In reply to speedy im running windows 7 64 bit

Agent_24
16-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks but they want you to download driver boost which i am not willing to do, my desk top is pretty new and has most of the latest drivers

Strange, I've never had problems downloading drivers from that site, nor asked to install any strange programs.

If you still can't get it, download the file here: http://www.2shared.com/file/YnmQuU1K/win7-920113-whql.htm

It works for both 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 apparently.