PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please give me some qualification advice?

Ninjabear
15-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Not quite sure where to ask but has anyone enrolled in a course through seeklearning?

I'm thinking of studying a CCNA course through them but the package that they gave is roughly $3600AUS.

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT)
Cisco Certified Network Associate Wireless (CCNA Wireless)

The course is delivered through skillsoft problem is if I finish this course will it be recognized internationally?

I cant seem to find much info through google. The website states its recognized in lots of places but Im concern.

Has anyone done any courses through them before?

Nomad
15-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Not sue about that place.
But IT cert places tend to just help you study, many don't have classrooms. Certs are issued by Cisco or MS.

There are private places, but v expensive, more for IT pro's who are actually employed which the employer pays. Ie., A+ Cert may cost $8k.
Look at Weltec, Computer Power Inst etc etc ...

As for recognition, they are the same everywhere in the world, so yeah. The Cert gets verified by Cisco or MS themselves. You get a login name and they send you the cert as well, it may be paid. Do you get a PDF though!

Check up at the Cisco educ site.

Ninjabear
15-12-2011, 06:12 PM
I got sent this
http://www.seeklearning.com.au/coursefiles/Skillsoftcourses/CCNA.pdf
http://seeklearning.co.nz/it-certifications/cisco/certified-network-associate-ccna.asp
but then taking it through a proper institution like uni is better than taking it from skillsoft which doesn't really mean much?
If an employer were to ask you were you got your qualification from and you say skillsoft wouldn't that be rather... lame?

Nomad
15-12-2011, 06:20 PM
The Cisco certs would stand up by itself nationally or internationally.
But if a NZ employer ask, yeah ... I assume you would be getting a Cert or Diploma by this Skillsoft right.

Unless I am incorrect and Skillsoft does have a decent reputation.

Ninjabear
15-12-2011, 06:34 PM
The Cisco certs would stand up by itself nationally or internationally.
But if a NZ employer ask, yeah ... I assume you would be getting a Cert or Diploma by this Skillsoft right.

Unless I am incorrect and Skillsoft does have a decent reputation.

At the end it'll just be called CCNA certified.

However I have friends overseas who hasnt heard of skillsoft.
I mean when it comes to an employer checking your qualification records how will check to see if you are qualified? At least from a tertiary institution there are records

Are my interpretation correct?

Nomad
15-12-2011, 06:41 PM
I assume they can check with Cisco.
In theory you can even study them yourself and just book yourself a examination centre to sit the tests.

I know that the MS ones, they have a NZ 0800 number which you get diverted to a Malaysia Call Centre.

decibel
15-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Yes, Nomad is right - the course itself only prepares you for the exam which you have to do separately.

There are several places in Auckland which you can do the exam.

R2x1
15-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Get the diplomas. The cold weather will be along sometime, and fire-lighters are always welcome at that stage. There may be better ways, both to learn and to light the fire too.

Consider your certificate as being akin to the indicators on a car approaching a roundabout under the guidance of a learner driver. The indicator operating signifies that the indicator is working - any other interpretation may be a tad rash.
A shiny new certificate indicates the holder has a certificate, nothing more.
Any employer willing to bet the reputation of the service he provides on a piece of paper alone is unlikely to be congratulating any employee on his/her long service. Ever.

WalOne
15-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Ninjabear, I think R2x1's advice (post #8) can't be improved upon. It's pretty sound IMO, and worth a re-read, at least. Good luck. :thumbs:

Ninjabear
16-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Get the diplomas. The cold weather will be along sometime, and fire-lighters are always welcome at that stage. There may be better ways, both to learn and to light the fire too.

Consider your certificate as being akin to the indicators on a car approaching a roundabout under the guidance of a learner driver. The indicator operating signifies that the indicator is working - any other interpretation may be a tad rash.
A shiny new certificate indicates the holder has a certificate, nothing more.
Any employer willing to bet the reputation of the service he provides on a piece of paper alone is unlikely to be congratulating any employee on his/her long service. Ever.

Sorry, I dont quite understand your comparison?Wanna simplify it a bit?lol

WalOne
16-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Ninjabear, I think R2x1's advice (post #8) can't be improved upon. It's pretty sound IMO, and worth a re-read, at least. Good luck. :thumbs:

Makes sense to me (again) :)

Ninjabear
16-12-2011, 09:58 PM
English isn't my first language. Dont understand what he was trying to say?
Is he trying to say theres no point of studying it?

haree
17-12-2011, 02:25 AM
Well according to me CCNA is not the enough qualification you have to do specialization in any field that you chosen, And 1 thing also concern that in networking field there is allot competition so the market value is decreasing and the competition is increasing so if you are interested in I.T so i will recommend to you about PHP or ASP.net

pctek
17-12-2011, 06:35 AM
English isn't my first language. Dont understand what he was trying to say?
Is he trying to say theres no point of studying it?

No, just that it's not going to get you a job. Employers want experience - not just as in experience with the technical side - but a history to see if you're reliable, hard working and all that.

That plus the paper is good, paper on it's own - not much.

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Yeah volunteer work speaks VOLUMES if it gets you experience!

Twelvevolts
18-12-2011, 05:58 PM
If someone turned up at an interview and told me they got their certifciate through Skillsoft - I'd be hard pressed to suppress a laugh. I use Skillsoft reasonably frequently but only to either read books or supplement other study.