PDA

View Full Version : Sony eReader PRS-T1 Charger

Pato
14-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Does anyone have one of these eReaders, if so, what Charger are you using?.
The Sony Charger appears to be very expensive.

Zippity
14-12-2011, 09:46 AM
The USB connection on my PC or laptop :) :)

Pato
14-12-2011, 09:51 AM
The USB connection on my PC or laptop :) :)Naturally, that is what I am using but I can't cart my Desktop around when
away!!

Alex B
14-12-2011, 10:38 AM
If its just USB then any usb charger should be fine.

CliveM
14-12-2011, 10:46 AM
+1
A Dick Smith USB charger works fine on my Kobo reader.

Zippity
14-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Naturally, that is what I am using but I can't cart my Desktop around when
away!!

Then why didn't you say that in your original post? :( :(

Try DSE :)

Pato
14-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Then why didn't you say that in your original post? :( :(

Try DSE :)I thought that would have been obvious, but apparently not. Read my original post again. "The Sony Charger appears to be very expensive". Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Pato
14-12-2011, 11:22 AM
+1
A Dick Smith USB charger works fine on my Kobo reader.Appreciate your help. I guess it will be fine with the Sony. Beats me why the Sony charger is so very expensive. I guess you are paying for the name eh?. What model of charger are you using?.

Zippity
14-12-2011, 11:29 AM
I thought that would have been obvious, but apparently not. Read my original post again. "The Sony Charger appears to be very expensive". Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

I would have thought that my earliest reply was obvious also. You did ask: "Does anyone have one of these eReaders, if so, what Charger are you using?."

And yes, you are probably right - you are paying for the "Sony" name :(

dugimodo
14-12-2011, 12:02 PM
I got a $50 charger from the warehouse that has a mains to dual USB adaptor and a 12V Cigarette lighter to dual USB adaptor - both of which can supply 1 Amp. It also has a cable with most common charger connectors on one end and USB on the other, but I use my original cable as it's tidier.

$50 seemed expensive to me for a warehouse charger, but as it works with my smartphone, E-reader, and anything else USB powered (has an Ipod connector even) I figured it was more useful than getting a car charger for each device.

Agent_24
14-12-2011, 12:06 PM
And yes, you are probably right - you are paying for the "Sony" name :(

But hopefully better quality than a cheap generic one, though. That's not to say they aren't a ripoff, because they probably are.

Zippity
14-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Pato - "... to plug in your Reader Wi-Fi since a single charge lasts over a month or up to 14000 continuos page turns, whichever comes first."

What am I missing here?

Are you getting longer vacations than most? :) :)

Have a look at http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=MP3455

Jayess64
14-12-2011, 09:35 PM
A Sony Reader needs a Sony charger or a computer USB connection. The low-cost USB chargers from Dick Smith won't work - try it, and a polite message appears pointing out that you are not using the correct charger. It seems that Japan might have lost the war, but they have us over a barrel anyway.

John H
14-12-2011, 10:57 PM
I am using the charger for my Samsung Galaxy S2... No point in doubling up!

Pato
15-12-2011, 08:41 AM
A Sony Reader needs a Sony charger or a computer USB connection. The low-cost USB chargers from Dick Smith won't work - try it, and a polite message appears pointing out that you are not using the correct charger. It seems that Japan might have lost the war, but they have us over a barrel anyway.Thanks for the warning. I will avoid low-cost chargers.

John H
15-12-2011, 09:35 AM
I don't know where Jayess64 gets his information from! Perhaps he is right about the low cost USB chargers from DSE, but he is incorrect when he says "A Sony Reader needs a Sony charger or a computer USB connection".

Have a look at a thread on this on the MobileRead forums - go to http://www.mobileread.com/forums/. and search for "Sony PRS T1 Charger". That is where I got the idea to use my Samsung Galaxy S2 charger, and it works without a problem. You will see from that thread that there are a great variety of chargers being used.

I have read somewhere, and cannot find it now, that there is a significant advantage to using a charger as opposed to the USB connection - evidently the latter does not achieve the full potential charge in the PRS T1. Perhaps I read about that in the MobileRead forums, but I haven't the time to search for it at the moment.

I too wanted a charger separate from my computer connection, for when I am travelling.

Pato
15-12-2011, 11:22 AM
I have also read about the USB method of charging. I really asked the question in the hope that I might pick up a suitable Phone charger or similar.
Thanks for the link. When you are retired it is one long holiday eh?.

Zippity
15-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Guess I will have go to Jaycar and get me one of those gadgets that I referred to in post #12.

I will report back in due course. :)

John H
15-12-2011, 02:51 PM
(snip)When you are retired it is one long holiday eh?. Wish it was! I thought it was going to be, but with our three kids having their kids later in life, we are later in life grandparents too, and grandparental duties are more tiring than they should be! Good luck with finding a charger - I am sure the link will show you some options.

Zippity
15-12-2011, 04:50 PM
This afternoon I purchased a Powertech Plus 1A output "Tiny USB AC Power Adaptor" from Jaycar for the princely sum of $18.90

This link http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102415 refers to the different charge rate from different chargers.

Maybe my new 1A charger will not have sufficient power to charge my Sony and Kindle ereaders :(

Jayess64
15-12-2011, 05:04 PM
I don't know where Jayess64 gets his information from! Perhaps he is right about the low cost USB chargers from DSE, but he is incorrect when he says "A Sony Reader needs a Sony charger or a computer USB connection".

Have a look at a thread on this on the MobileRead forums - go to http://www.mobileread.com/forums/. and search for "Sony PRS T1 Charger". That is where I got the idea to use my Samsung Galaxy S2 charger, and it works without a problem. You will see from that thread that there are a great variety of chargers being used.

I have read somewhere, and cannot find it now, that there is a significant advantage to using a charger as opposed to the USB connection - evidently the latter does not achieve the full potential charge in the PRS T1. Perhaps I read about that in the MobileRead forums, but I haven't the time to search for it at the moment.

I too wanted a charger separate from my computer connection, for when I am travelling.

Fair enough - my experience is based on the PRS-650, not the T1. I was a bit hacked off that a DSE charger would work with my wife's Kobo but not on my Sony. It's just a charger, for Pete's sake.

John H
15-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Have you seen the price of the Sony covers as well? The reader is well priced, but they must think they are going to make their money from the accessories.

Jayess64
16-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Have you seen the price of the Sony covers as well? The reader is well priced, but they must think they are going to make their money from the accessories.

I quite agree. In a civilised world both the charger and cover would be included in the box.

John H
16-12-2011, 02:27 PM
True.

Pato
27-01-2012, 12:58 PM
How did your Charger from Jaycar work with the T1?.