PDA

View Full Version : Lost my 'save password' etc in Dial-Up Connections

20-10-2001, 09:32 PM
One day, out of the blue, I lost my options to 'Remember Password' and 'Logon Automatically' in Windows ME Dial-Up Networking. If I create a profile and log on as anyone else other than 'Default' however, these options are restored. All Network settings are the same in Default and other User profiles (Client for MS Networks, Dial Up Adaptor, TCP/IP protocol only). Any clues ??

20-10-2001, 10:20 PM
Give this site a go, may offer some clues:

http://www.geocities.com/budallen98_98/dunpass.html#top

GG

21-10-2001, 12:31 PM
Try deleting your Windows password file. Do a search on your system for *.PWL, then delete or rename them. Reboot your system, and you'll notice that Windows will ask for a user name and password to log in. You're now re-creating this password information in your system. You don't have to enter a password here if you don't want to use one every time you log in, but you do need to enter a user name. This will rebuild the password file, and may allow your Dial-up Networking to save your dial-up password.

21-10-2001, 05:12 PM
Hi, I think this is the answer you wanted: In the profile that you want to restore this functionality... Open up DUN - Go Start, Programs, Accessories, Communications, Dial-up-Networking. Click on Connections in the menu bar, and go Settings. (you may need to maximise the window). Then select or deselect the options you want ie Prompt for Information Before Dialing. (This is how it works on Win 9.x, so I assume it'll be very similar in ME)
Cheers