PDA

View Full Version : Rapist Moves Next Door to His Victim

Bobh
10-12-2011, 09:03 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/6104942/Rapist-next-door-alarms-victim
http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/6118795/Craig-Crofts-in-jail

A rape victim has had her attacker move into a flat beside her after he was released from jail. The Police can do little more than advise Crofts to move out because police had no legislative power to prevent Crofts from living next door to his victim unless he committed another offence.

Crofts has since admitted to stealing six pairs of women's underwear from Farmers and has been remanded in custody till 17 Jan 12.

Better legislative powers are needed to protect victims in cases like this.

Metla
10-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Not at all (imo), Community standards should deal with this, he needs a visit from the locals, and if he doesn't leave immediately then he needs a follow up visit with an immediate trip to the hospital.

The laws can't cover every eventuality, and the community has to have a point where they say this isn't acceptable and then take suitable action, if we looked after our neighbourhoods rather then hiding within our fenced enclosures then a shitload of unacceptable behaviour would stop.

Zippity
10-12-2011, 09:32 AM
x2

SP8's
10-12-2011, 11:13 AM
x3 ... preferably on a dark moonless night with a length of lead pipe and a rusty hacksaw ... b'stard !

Cicero
10-12-2011, 11:21 AM
x4, how does this lad get it so right all the time?

Agent_24
10-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Nowhere else to go? Sounds like complete bullshit. Bet the only reason he moved there was to scare her.

You get the rusty pipe and I'll get the hacksaw. What's the address again?

dugimodo
10-12-2011, 05:13 PM
They shouldn't put this in the news, now the police etc have to be seen to be doing the right thing. I'm sure a quiet word with the landlord and he could have been moved along with very little fuss.
They should force him to move anyway. We all know that's what the majority of the public would want, and they work for us right?
This is one of those "I can't believe it's not already illegal moments" it should be a condition of the release of anyone who has committed violent crimes of any kind to stay the hell away from their victims on pain of going back inside (at the very least)

It's almost never I would agree with Metla recommending the locals take it upon themselves to deal with criminals but this is one time I do.

SP8's
10-12-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm sure a quiet word with the landlord and he could have been moved along with very little fuss.

Did you ever see the hassle Housing Corp (or whatever they're called now) had to go through to get a tenant evicted ... it cost US (the taxpayer) thousands of dollars in legal fees and over two years to get an eviction order. Sorry to say it, but in legal terms, it's bloody difficult for a landlord to evict a tenant unless they've done something "really bad" like using the property as a meth lab ... don't think a tenant can be evicted even if it's used as a brothel ... the "law" is on the side of the tenant, not the landlord.

Having said all that, I hope that someone doesn't go throwing a cocktail through the window ... the only one to lose out then would be the landlord. I'm still in favour of my previous post.

Bobh
10-12-2011, 05:52 PM
The tenant usually signs a Tenancy Agreement which will include conditions that the Tenant must adhere to. I copied this from the Department of Building and Housing Residential Tenancy Agreement.

6. Tenant's responsibilities
•Pay the rent on time.
•Keep the premises reasonably clean and tidy , and notify the
landlord as soon as any repairs are needed. You may not
withhold rent if you cannot get repairs done. Seek advice from
the Department of Building and Housing (0800 836262).
•Use the premises principally for residential purposes.
•Pay all electricity, gas, telephone and metered water charges.
•Not damage or permit damage to the premises and inform
the landlord of any damage.*
•Not disturb the neighbours or the landlord's other tenants.
•Not alter the premises without the landlord's written consent.
•Not use the property for any unlawful purpose.
•Leave the property clean and tidy , and clear of rubbish and
possessions at the end of the tenancy .
•At the end of the tenancy , leave all keys and such things with
the landlord. Leave all chattels supplied with the tenancy .
•If a maximum number of occupants is stated in the tenancy
agreement, not exceed that number .

I think that most Tenancy Agreements would contain a clause about not disturbing the neighbours.

Bobh
10-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Read here (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1986/0120/latest/DLM95088.html) for the amendment to the Residential Tenancies Act 1986 No 120 (as at 20 June 2011), Public Act.

This is what the law says.

40(2)(c) cause or permit any interference with the reasonable peace, comfort, or privacy of any of the landlord's other tenants in the use of the premises occupied by those other tenants, or with the reasonable peace, comfort, or privacy of any other person residing in the neighbourhood.

mikebartnz
12-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Did you ever see the hassle Housing Corp (or whatever they're called now) had to go through to get a tenant evicted ... it cost US (the taxpayer) thousands of dollars in legal fees and over two years to get an eviction order.
It was around $800,000.