PDA

View Full Version : Where to get new laptop lcd?

goodiesguy
08-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Where would be my best bet to get a replacement screen for my laptop?

It's Compaq Presario C300 (sticker on bottom labeled as C302TU)

I found this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=429180910

which says it compatible.

My problem with the current lcd is that there are dead pixels and some corners are starting to go white. I will take pictures tomorrow to show you the reason why i'm wanting to get a replacement.

goodiesguy
08-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Looking around, it may be cheaper to get a new laptop off trademe. Still, i would like your opinions.

icow
09-12-2011, 01:05 AM
What's the laptop specs?

goodiesguy
09-12-2011, 01:15 AM
My c300??

1.6 single core Intel celeron mobile, crappy (though dedicated) 256mb intel graphics. 1gb ram, 80gb hard drive (originally had a 40 gb drive).

It really doesn't seem good to waste money on a new lcd for this old peice. Still, if i can do it cheap, then why not.

I'm currently bidding on laptop on trade me, which is 1 year newer than this and looks nicer. Probably a much better investment than this old junk.

But if anyone thinks it'd be better i just get a new lcd, let me know your opinion.

Agent_24
09-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Well if you don't mind the old machine and you can find a cheap LCD then yeah.

But if that happens or not is unknown!

Might get a better deal on eBay or something if you wait a bit.

But it might be better to just sell the old one off (if it's just a few dead pixels I would think a lot of people wouldn't care) and use it to help fund the purchase of a better one.

icow
09-12-2011, 09:27 AM
imo not worth it when you can get stuff like this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/laptops/laptops/ibm/auction-430368334.htm or http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/laptops/laptops/ibm/auction-429414686.htm for a similar price.

goodiesguy
09-12-2011, 03:51 PM
I've bidded on a laptop on trademe. It's not worth fixing my current one (and it's not just dead pixels, there are bits of the screen in one corner going almost completely white).

There was a trademe listing for an identical laptop, but it was $25 shipping (which i though was very dear), and the laptop was in poorer condition than my one (my laptop looks almost new except for a bit of wear on the touchpad, and the damn lcd.

Nomad
09-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Maybe on eBay, many LCDs are interchangeable but that is hard to know from a user ;) Maybe if you restrict yourself to your brand, there is a part number which you can look for which sorta gaurantees compatibility. The Lenovo Thinkpad can download service manuals online with part numbers and the LCD has a FRU part no. for eg .... If you search online, there are stores which ships LCDs to clients. Brand new I think. Might not be that cheap though but cheaper than going to your manufacturer for sure ....

icow
09-12-2011, 06:14 PM
$25 shipping for a laptop from a person who isnt a retailer isnt too bad.

Agent_24
09-12-2011, 06:51 PM
$25 shipping for a laptop from a person who isnt a retailer isnt too bad.

Yeah hopefully it would indicate that they would actually pack the thing properly in a large cardboard box. You wouldn't want some clown to just shove it in a plastic courier bag.

PPp
10-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Just a thought, you could get a cheap LCD Monitor and plug that in, save a lot of hassle pulling the laptop apart and not being sure of getting the right screen.