PDA

View Full Version : More on Internet speed.

minster
07-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Was just reading aan interesting thread on PressF1 about internet speeds:
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?122110-Switching-ISP-Broadband-Plans
and some of the replys there made me realise that i may also have a problem:(

I live in Tokoroa-South Waikato-106 Papanui Street.
Using a Linksys Wireless-NADSL2+ Modem Router model WAG 160N and Telecom Explorer plan.
Only changed to wireless a few months back and have been reasonably happy but now believe that may be because I didn't know any better lol
I tried the speed test using link that Wainuitech put in a post and results are not encouraging as:
Line Speed is:2.86 Mbps (2857 kbps)
Download speed is:357 KB/s (0.35 MB/s)

From memory this is a very similar result to what I recieved after first installing the Linksys modem router a few months ago.
We sometime are running 2/3 or 4 separate pc's off the same modem and they all give similar results for speed etc.
Is there anything that can be done to improve what I believe could be a rubbish connection?
I am not very tech savvy so may need step by step instructions please...
Thanks for any help:)

EmoCat
08-12-2011, 07:07 AM
This could be where you live in general. Chilling told me that in order to help more he'd need a Sync Speed. Go into your router/modems settings and look for Sync Speed. Post it here. Also either PM me the area where you live or just jot it down here. Do a pingtest too, do you have packet loss? A download speed that low could mean your losing some packets. Make sure your pinging to the closest server to your area!

Snorkbox
08-12-2011, 08:23 AM
This is what I get using a Telecom supplied Thompson.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1635729530.png

Also in Tokoroa.

EmoCat
08-12-2011, 08:41 AM
This is what I get using a Telecom supplied Thompson.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1635729530.png

Also in Tokoroa.

ADSL2? If so, thats insane for a Thompson. I'd still say throw it out over past experiences with them :lol:

minster
08-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Last nite I got new firmware for my router and installed it (actually a downgrade as it was an earlier version of firmware)
This morning have been monitoring my speeds using speedtest.net.
Lowest download = 2.9 Mb/s
Best download speed = 13 Mb/s

Is very changable 4 one minute and up to 12 the next?

Can't find sync speed in my router anywhere?
Pinged pcworld.co.nz:
No packet loss
Average 45ms

Live at 106 Papanui Street Tokoroa
My unit has block walls so is that a factor?
Exchange is about 1/1.5 kms away but roadside cabinet (old one) is directly across the road.

Would a better router help?
Latest test done now is 13.84 download.

Chilling_Silence
08-12-2011, 09:26 AM
If you're fluctuating that much from one to the next, it sounds more like an issue with upstream bandwidth, potentially exchange congestion, or its your router.

Contact your ISP, present your findings. It's Telecom, I know that they've got enough bandwidth nationally at the very least, they're not one to oversubscribe their international bandwidth too much.

It could also be your router, the WAG160N, they're not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination. Test with something else to confirm that the results are the same so you can rule out that it's a faulty router. If you can afford to, the Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn is superb!

jareemon
08-12-2011, 10:05 AM
I live in tokoroa, infact just around the corner from you, and I get excellent speeds (1mB/s up; 10mB/s down; 20ms ping with interleaving off)
We are most likely on the same cabinet, so you should definitely contact telecom about this.
If you like, I could come and check it out for you, just flick me a txt - 021 0288 3046

Chilling_Silence
08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah I was pretty sure that Tokoroa got cabinetized earlier this year, so I'm hedging my bets on the router, just personally...

jareemon
08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
It could also be your router, the WAG160N, they're not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination. Test with something else to confirm that the results are the same so you can rule out that it's a faulty router. If you can afford to, the Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn is superb!
+1.
I have a spare D-Link 2730B here you can use to test?

dugimodo
08-12-2011, 10:38 AM
the WAG160N menu is not immediately obvious, but the connection (sync) speed is in there. Mine has died so I can't log in to remind myself, but there is a horizontal bar with sub menu headings, it's something like status, diagnostics, DSL (sorry can't remember but it is there). As fot the Thompson comments, they are a bit dodgy stability wise and the GUI is horrible, but they actually connect and perform pretty well - when they work.

After my linksys died and I started a thread on what to get, I bought the NB6plus4Wn and all is good :) speed is about the same as the linksys and the thompson (16M) but as long as it's stable I'm happy.
Telecom are supposedly turning off my interleaving in the next 24 hours.

minster
08-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Sync
Downstream Rate: 14007 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 889 Kbps

Speedtest http://www.speedtest.net/result/1636017295.png

08-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Yeah I was pretty sure that Tokoroa got cabinetized earlier this year, so I'm hedging my bets on the router, just personally...

Yep, SOME routers had known issues after Telecom 'upgrades' (cabinetisation??)
Some Linksys were especially bad after. Change to a more 'compatable' brand fixed the issue at many homes.
Dove Electronics sent out a notice regarding this issue a while back .

Chilling_Silence
08-12-2011, 12:34 PM
IIRC it was DLinks and something else, but not Linksys.

Snorkbox
08-12-2011, 12:39 PM
ADSL2? If so, thats insane for a Thompson. I'd still say throw it out over past experiences with them :lol:

Well I'm not going to chuck it out just yet. I'll wait until it breaks first!

Yes it is an ADSL2 Thompson and the test is repeatable.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1636076720.png

EmoCat
08-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Well I'm not going to chuck it out just yet. I'll wait until it breaks first!

Yes it is an ADSL2 Thompson and the test is repeatable.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1636076720.png

Yeah, i guess they're alright for the first 1-2 months. Then they slowly drop speeds and pings go higher etc. If they didnt die that fast i'd have them all over my house.

minster
08-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Have just contacted Telecom and they tell me that interleaving was already off but they made some change (supposedly?) and told me to give it 24/48 hours.
My download speed has been very stable at about 12.0 Mbps for a few hours now.
Pings are still around 50
Will now be patient before deciding on a new router purchase.
Thank you very much to all who replied and especially to Jared for coming to my home and checking it over for me:)

Chilling_Silence
08-12-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't think that Interleaving will affect it like that, it'll only really affect your latency (pings) and packet loss. Your overall throughput ought to stay relatively similar unless you're getting a *truckload* of packet loss.

minster
08-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Looking at how the speed is now compared with how it has been since May this year, I'm convinced that the problem was the firmware (vers:2.00.20) that is the default in the WAG 160N.
Since downgrading to vers: 2.00.17 my download speed has been consistently way higher except for the initial period early this morning.
Never in my internet experience have I seen the speeds that I recieve now. (Hopefully this will continue:))
Thanks to all again ...

dugimodo
08-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Lots of threads on routers & connections lately it seems, tempted to try that firmware on my WAG160N if I can convince it to talk to my PC again.
Meanwhile Telecom have turned off interleaving and my WoW pings have dropped to 135ms, which is awesome considering it used to consistently be 400+. The combination of Leatrix's latency fix http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html (dropped ping to 200) and interleaving getting turned off is a truly huge difference.

But yes as predicted by Chill above it makes 0 difference to my connection speeds or downloads.

minster
09-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Today returned Linksys WAG 160N to DSE and recieved full reimersment of purchase price.

Found and ordered the NetComm mentioned by Chill, from AlphaCity for $113 delivered:)

http://www.alphacity.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=228_229&products_id=80810

Chilling_Silence
09-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Awesome stuff! :-)

jareemon
10-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Glad to hear mate. :)